The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G lenses

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Folks maybe we just hit pay dirt. This sounds very exciting. A autofocus adapter for Contax G lenses. No price yet but I want it. Some really nice , small Contax G lenses out there to play with. For me with my Sony A glass especially like my 85 1.4 it would be nice to have a small 90 to travel with. A lot of folks bought Leica M 90 for this very reason. I would love to have the Contax 35 as well as my Sigma 35 Art lens is also pretty big. Nice thing is you could slap these on your 7 series cams and the A6000. Anyway very cool, watch video. Impressive AF speed

Contax G – Sony NEX E AF adapter Mk III autofocus test. | sonyalpharumors

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
:D

I often wonder, how many lenses do you call your own?

I just stumbled across a thread over at lula, a chap called eric said he has around 70,000 pictures in his LR from 85 different cameras.

Good Lord....

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have an AF adapter for Contax G lenses for a while now. The focus speed is slow but very accurate and reliable. It also has a very convenient MF wheel. I have been using 35/45/90 lenses on A7r and pretty happy with IQ from Contax lenses.

fotografz

Folks maybe we just hit pay dirt. This sounds very exciting. A autofocus adapter for Contax G lenses. No price yet but I want it. Some really nice , small Contax G lenses out there to play with. For me with my Sony A glass especially like my 85 1.4 it would be nice to have a small 90 to travel with. A lot of folks bought Leica M 90 for this very reason. I would love to have the Contax 35 as well as my Sigma 35 Art lens is also pretty big. Nice thing is you could slap these on your 7 series cams and the A6000. Anyway very cool, watch video. Impressive AF speed

Contax G – Sony NEX E AF adapter Mk III autofocus test. | sonyalpharumors
See, NEVER sell anything!:ROTFL:

I had the entire set of Contax G lenses, including the zoom, all in black. The 45 is the stand-out lens, and the 35 is bit harder to find, if I recall correctly.

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Marc how many times can we kick ourselves in the *** with selling lenses. I feel this you idiot for selling that lens sensation more times than I can count. I even bought the same lens three times. God do I hate this I screwed up feeling. Right there with you my friend. lOL

Guy Mancuso

I have an AF adapter for Contax G lenses for a while now. The focus speed is slow but very accurate and reliable. It also has a very convenient MF wheel. I have been using 35/45/90 lenses on A7r and pretty happy with IQ from Contax lenses.
Love to see some shots with the G lenses if you get a chance. I read a couple reviews way back when and there rated very nicely. More important I bet they render nice

jfirneno

Love to see some shots with the G lenses if you get a chance. I read a couple reviews way back when and there rated very nicely. More important I bet they render nice
Guy:
I currently have the CG 45mm and the second generation of this AF adapter. This new third generation AF adapter that was demonstrated in that video on SAR seems a bit snappier than the one I have. The 45 is a great lens. I understand the 21mm and the 28mm have issues with the A7 series (color casts and smearing). From my point of view the weakness of using the CG 45 with the A7R is that the 55mm is just easier to use. I'm too lazy to go with the manual adjustments. Probably I could set up one of the program modes to cover all the needed changes but once again, too lazy.

Regards,
John

tsjanik

You're a salesman from Dante's Inferno Guy. I've resisted the A7r for now, but this may push me over the edge. As much as I like my 645D and think the Z will be terrific, the older I get the more a lighter, smaller camera is appealing.

Tom

Guy Mancuso

Guy:
I currently have the CG 45mm and the second generation of this AF adapter. This new third generation AF adapter that was demonstrated in that video on SAR seems a bit snappier than the one I have. The 45 is a great lens. I understand the 21mm and the 28mm have issues with the A7 series (color casts and smearing). From my point of view the weakness of using the CG 45 with the A7R is that the 55mm is just easier to use. I'm too lazy to go with the manual adjustments. Probably I could set up one of the program modes to cover all the needed changes but once again, too lazy.

Regards,
John

Thanks was wondering how the wides would hold up. I agree the 55 is just so easy to use and stunning as well but the G90 might be perfect for travel stuff. Love my 85 1.4 but with adapter its a pretty big lens
Nice thing is its maybe a cheaper way to go than a Leica M and still get a nice look out of it. Something to consider for me.

Guy Mancuso

You're a salesman from Dante's Inferno Guy. I've resisted the A7r for now, but this may push me over the edge. As much as I like my 645D and think the Z will be terrific, the older I get the more a lighter, smaller camera is appealing.

Tom
I'm the President of the lens whore club. Lol

I'm a sucker for glass

Seriously though the A7r is a pretty powerful cam. Its packs a punch in a small package but I agree that new Pentax looks very promising indeed.

Guy Mancuso

All along I have been buying glass for the business side of the equation and making sure I got my bases covered. Now I'm starting on the personal side and lenses that render a nice look are more of my interest. Plus if I can get some small and light weight stuff it would be nice. Just bought one of those Zeiss 12mm that I'm excited to play with on both the A7r in crop mode and on my A6000.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I am getting my account upgraded. I will post some images of Contax G images as soon as Jack sets up my storage space.

scho

I've used the Contax G lenses for quite awhile on different cameras, both MF in modified M mount versions and original in the Techart2 AF adapter. There are several images on these two phase pages taken with the 21, 28, and 45 lenses, using the NEX6 and Techart2 AF adapter. The 21 and 28 biogons both exhibit poor corner performance, but 35, 45 and 90 are fine. The Techart2 AF performance was poor to impossible when stopped down beyond 5.6 and OK (but slow) above that.

Page 31

Page 32

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Carl look at it when I get back to office. Out testing my ZA 24 F2. Than in my infinite wisdom decided to run a A7r vs A6000 test. From the LCD in the field run don't walk and pick up a A6000. Damn thing is good . Shooting the A7r in crop mode it's hard to ell the difference . Now obviously I'm in crop mode not very normal in real life but the A6000 DR looks almost identical. Let me get back and process stuff but from the field the A6000 is a winner.

Guy Mancuso

Interesting and I noticed this last week my ZA 24 needs +14 micro adjustment with both cams. It's the lens and amazingly both cams take the same correction. I'm fine with that as long as I'm not de centered which I tested for that first thing this morning. But I did read somewhere this adjustment on these bodies is for use with the adapters to make up for tolerances differences. Good on Sony

I should add it was front focusing. All my testing though was MF with magnifier and all that stuff and on tripod

mbroomfield

Just make sure you're happy with the min focus distance from these lenses before you jump in. with M- lenses you can use the Hawks adapter and there are some excellent reasonable sized SLR lenses that offer close focus if needed.

Hmmm not sure this is the same adapter or what but just found this on eBay . Read carefully as the 16 is not supported and you have to do a certain setup. Again not sure if this is the same in the video. But check it out

Techart Auto Focus AF Adapter for Contax G to Sony E NEX 7 A7 A7R Final Version | eBay
Yes Guy, this is the exact same adapter that was shown in that video on SAR.

They are claiming 50% AF speed improvement and it looks like there is an ability to do FW updates on it via Bluetooth?

I was tempted to order one this morning but will let one of you fine people be the guinea pig for this version of the adapter.

jlm

Workshop Member
back when i was monkeying around with the nex 7 and contax G90 with hawks adapter

Last edited: