The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a7R, Gigapans, Big panoramas, stitching software & more fun

Autopano Giga is indeed the top software for handheld pano. However, with carefully adjusted, non-parallax Pano, PTGui Pro yields better results, since Autopano Giga surprisingly produces more error with these.

Here is non-parallax 38-pict pano using a 55mm to produce a rectilinear 8mm FOV:

dmward

^^ I presume that "non-parallax" pano means one shot without consideration for rotation around the parallax point of the lens.

I shoot handheld panos quite often, will have to explore the software you've mentioned. I have found that Lightroom stitching does a reasonable job on some images but misses on the horizon line often.

dmward

For example, I shot this manually with the Tamron 150-600mm @ 300mm using a monopod and just 'eyeballing' a 4 x 24 matrix of shots. Autopano ended up using 68 of the shots for this result -
Mike,
How did you do the rows? Always start from the left or right or one from left next from right etc?

How did you do the rows? Always start from the left or right or one from left next from right etc?
I usually do a zig-zag (left to right, right to left, left to right, and so on). But Autopano Giga can sort them out even if they are in random sequence (usually).

dandrewk

For single row panos, I never need a pano/tilt head as long as I don't use a long (~150+mm) lens. I just carefully place my front foot and slowly pan around.

For anything else, the Panosaurus comes out.

I haven't updated this gallery in awhile, but here are some of my shots, mostly hand held and all using PTGui Pro:

https://dandrewk.smugmug.com/Panoramas/i-C9ZH2GW

^^ I presume that "non-parallax" pano means one shot without consideration for rotation around the parallax point of the lens.

I shoot handheld panos quite often, will have to explore the software you've mentioned. I have found that Lightroom stitching does a reasonable job on some images but misses on the horizon line often.
It's actually the non-parallax point :D. With that shot, if you don't have a pano head and the lens is adjusted to the non-parallax point, you wouldn't be able to get the foreground right(around the MFD of my 55, 0.6m).

chaosphere

Hi there, if anyone is interested about wiring a cable for the Sony A7R3 (or any A7) let me know, I'll show you how and put pics to make it easily in 2 minutes (less than 10$)