Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sony A77II ordered

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony A77II ordered

I agree if i needed higher than ISO 1600 cam I would be looking at a D4 or similar or even the new A7s but more my intent on the A77II was something i don't get on the A7/A7r is the AF speed and tracking. This will do exactly what I need for PR work and more important and a big money income for me is the runway stuff that I do for my wife's company I need a 300mm effective and focus tracking to nail models going down the runway which typically is about ISO 1250 so investing in the 3rd body is a no brainer for me, As it does exactly what I need and the A6000 is a close second but no vertical grip makes it impossible to shoot 15 thousand images with my hand over the camera. I can't do that physically as my arthritis kicks in almost immediately and I can't move my hands. So i have to have a vertical grip on those gigs. Having the A glass makes this cam a bonus in my system. Is it perfect no its not but if you need AF on a cam this does have some real power to it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. For all the gripes about Sony lenses be it A, E, or FE mount the good glass tends to be great. I owned the 70-200/2.8 G and the 16-50/2.8 in A-mount. Both were really good. The 16-50 had distortion on the wide end but the Lightroom profile cleaned it up well. I tried the Zeiss 85 and 135 and yes both are really good. I'm hoping the FE rumors of a 85/135 Zeiss are true and f/1.8 or f/2 would be fine by me as long as they perform as well as the 55FE.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question on the vertical grip should i get the Sony or are those vello brands any good.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the Sony brand one so I can't comment on Vello. I've had too much bad luck early on with non-OEM products so I always buy OEM products.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, but the Sony grip for my A77 is great. No problems at all. I wonder if the A77 grip will fit the II version?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll get a used one from Amazon for 179 dollars. I use them on the big shoots only anyway. Shooting normal types of jobs I do okay

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy have you tried out the Sigma Art 18-35/1.8 yet on the A77II? I don't know if you're a wide shooter but it seems pretty tempting for those with APS-C bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No just saw that it was in stock too at B&H. I have the 16-50 2.8 but heck I would not mind having that Sigma instead. I could use it on the A6000 as well with the adapter. If I had a spare 800 I would just buy it now than sell the 16-50. I could use it in a couple weeks in NY doing the show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did order a sony vertical grip the other day. So I'm all set but would not mind switching the zooms out.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Syrah I was thinking of getting the A77II and that lens maybe for myself... I mean my girlfriend for her birthday. Well either that or the A6000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well the A77II is certainly a powerhouse for AF work and the A6000 is more the it can play well in the field type camera and travel well. The files look identical except I notice I tend to see the A6000 underexpose some. Honestly if I did not need the A77Ii advanced abilities than the A6000 is pretty dang impressive on its own merit. It's getting great reviews and rightfully so.

Here is a hint. I would have a tough time selling either one of them since they both cover primary and secondary usage very well. The good news here is both bodies together cost about 1800 dollars which really is a bargain if you think about it.

I actually kind of like having the 3 bodies to choice from with the A7r thrown in the mix. The only draw back is having a lens work on all three. Luckily most of mine will.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post