The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 12mm E lens on a A7r

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thought this was worth a try. I have the Zeiss 12mm Touit lens for my A6000 which is a 18mm on a Full Frame sensor. So on the A7r I shot it with the APC crop mode on and got the first image a 18mm FOV. It would be the same on the A6000 so no gain here shooting it on the A7r since it would be less than the A6000 24mpx but again it could be useful to the A7r as a 18mm if you are not carrying the A6000 with you or for whatever reason. Its small its really cheap right now and damn good.

But here was more a interest to me on the A7r is with the APC crop mode off your shooting right to the image circle which by default cropped is a square cutting out the vignetting.

So here is what I did I shot normal crop mode than shot it to the image circle processed them both out put a color mask over the APC crop image and laid it perfectly in place over the Image circle image. What you get is a touch of extra room on the sides but depending on your subject you could crop in various directions.

This might actually be useful with interiors if your trying to get more ceiling or floor for that matter or a square may work better. Obviously not limited to interiors but still a quite interesting option if you so want to try it.

This is the APC crop version ala 18mm equiv.

Than this is the full image circle image with the crop overlaid on it so you can see the extra room you may want.

Guy Mancuso

Now there is a baffle surrounding the rear element that is connected with 3 screws and it comes straight out which I did do but I am not seeing anymore image circle worth removing the baffle for. So its going back in as it does cover the lens electronics.

So IMHO not worth doing it

Ben Rubinstein

MR over at LL is using his on his A7r, he says that when shooting it FF you get a 16mm FOV. For those who got this with the half price deal, that's not a bad price for a 16mm Zeiss which is apparently very good in the corners.

Guy Mancuso

I would tend to agree its about 16mm and you could work on the extreme corners if you had too a little.

Grid lines options
Rule of thirds
square grid
Diagonal square grid. Which is pretty interesting. Need to check that out as the diagonals go right through the image circle and you can see your width really nicely. This is the one you want to use

Guy Mancuso

Here is the diagional with square grid line option. Look at the diagonal. This was shot with the a6000 of the A7r LCD screen.

Guy Mancuso

Cindy and I split the Zeiss package as she wanted the 30mm and I wanted the 12mm. Worked out great as we both saved a bunch of money.

philber

That said, Guy, why not get a cheap NEX 7 and enjoy the Touit 12 with 24Mp rather than 16 on the A7R in crop mode? BTW, FE lenses such as the 35 and the 55 work just fine on the NEX 7 as well.

Guy Mancuso

I have a A6000 so that's what I bought it for but I was just interested to see what shooting to the image circle would do.

Guy Mancuso

I actually have the A7r, A6000 and the new A77II bodies. All my lenses work on all three except 2 the 12 and 55. I'm debating keeping the 55 and getting the Sigma 50 art as that would also work with all three. For now I'm mostly trying to stay A mount until Sony gets more FE glass out but if they do come out with a bigger Sensor body with the 50 mpx sensor sensor the A7r is history. What I'm doing right now is playing the waiting game until Photokinia and see what they throw at us. I'm not 100 percent on the FE bodies until I see what they do. Seriously they are the only ones with any options worth a damn. Nikon and canon are falling off the cliff. A updated D800 is not innovating to me.

Guy Mancuso

I'm actually running out the door and shoot the A6000 with the 12mm and the A77II. I have yet to actually shoot them

Guy Mancuso

Maybe just bite the bullet and sell the 55 and get the 24-70 as it just fills in a lot if gaps with the A7r and A6000. I have for the A7r the ZA 24, Sigma35 art and 85, 135 and I'm not the biggest 50 mm shooter to begin with. Gives the A6000 a 12 and a 24-70 in the process. Now I'm using LR I get the lens profiles at least.

dchew

Guy,
All I know is you need more camera bags in that closet. Your not living up to your reputation.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Ah you missed two more over on the left. There all think tank bags , I buy nothing else. LOL

Yea now with 3 bodies I need to be thinking about a fresh one. Lol

iiiNelson

Maybe just bite the bullet and sell the 55 and get the 24-70 as it just fills in a lot if gaps with the A7r and A6000. I have for the A7r the ZA 24, Sigma35 art and 85, 135 and I'm not the biggest 50 mm shooter to begin with. Gives the A6000 a 12 and a 24-70 in the process. Now I'm using LR I get the lens profiles at least.
You'll kick yourself for giving up the 55 for the 24-70. The 55 is special and the 24-70 doesn't gain a tremendous amount of IQ over the kit lens considering the cost of the thing. It's a good lens for sure but not one I'd say was "special."