The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7 Help with A7/A7R

iiiNelson

So I guess I will put this here since I'm exclusively a Sony user now, I got 92 views, not one piece of advice...

So I just downloaded the newest version of Capture One 7 in an attempt to give it yet another chance. Plenty of people rave about it and I'm trying to see what the fuss is about.

Whenever I import images it seems that some of the images appear to make duplicates on top of another image underneath. When you export the image underneath is what exports even though another image seems to be on top. How do I stop this from happening? I very close writing off Capture One once and for all?

I know some stores sell training and make plenty of YouTube videos. I'm really not looking to pay extra for a program I'm doing a demo on. Historically I've used Aperture, Lightroom, and even Photoshop. All seemed a lot more straightforward for me. Just seeing if it's worth purchasing before the 50% off deal is done based off the results I can get between now and then. I won't use very glitchy software and that's what I have loved about Lightroom and Aperture. They just work.

Oh yeah and is there a site to find lens profiles because Capture One simply doesn't support many Sony lenses.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Oh yeah and is there a site to find lens profiles because Capture One simply doesn't support many Sony lenses.

Why I just bought Lightroom

iiiNelson

Why I just bought Lightroom
LOL...Yeah I already have Lightroom and Photoshop CC. Just trying to see what the fuss is all about with Capture One 7. I had version 4 back before the Leica and Adobe partnerships... HATED IT!!! So I bought Lightroom 2 back then.

iiiNelson

Could you post screen shot of the glitch? (Can't quite picture what you're describing.)
Yeah I have to download Capture One again. I got frustrated and deleted it in an angry moment.

Pretty much what happens is that I import multiple images and then it shows duplicates of a few images over all of the different shots in the browser on the bottom even though I didn't copy the image. When I export then the image exports but it's not necessarily the image I see in the browser window.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea i would reload it but you need to delete it well first. Its all over the mac in preferences and user preferences.

C1 is a very good program and great raw converter Im just not getting the quick support I need and i hate the interface of ACR

iiiNelson

Yea i would reload it but you need to delete it well first. Its all over the mac in preferences and user preferences.

C1 is a very good program and great raw converter Im just not getting the quick support I need and i hate the interface of ACR
Yeah I deleted everything last night. I just downloaded it again. So I will load up some images and see if it does it again.

As for ACR... I just import straight into Lightroom. It's about as straightforward as it gets for me. I had to learn the Aperture way and it wasn't too different from Lightroom. I preferred the way brushes worked and the better rendering for skin in most cases in Aperture but I preferred just about everything else in Lightroom. In either case you can get great results out of both. Filters and/or custom recipes can take you that extra step over the average quick 5-10 minute process job.

iiiNelson

So this is what I was talking about... I imported 5 different images but it's showing one of them twice and the other three times...

dwood

I started out with Aperture, but it became pretty clear, even early on, that it wasn't a priority at Apple. Too bad, because it had the potential to be really great.

I spent quite a bit of time digging into C1 about 6 months ago, just because I wanted to see if it brought anything to the table for my images. It's a good RAW converter and there are some cool tools but at the end of the day, I couldn't warm up to the interface, it didn't produce better output vs. LR, (for me, anyway) and it was unstable. The instability part seems to be a recurring theme with many users. It may be that C1 is a good choice for Phase back users, as I'm sure the pipeline and other bits are optimized for these customers, but I don't think it's ready for prime time for others. Just my opinion, of course, and YMMV. I'm very happy with LR, really always have been, and have no plans to retest the C1 waters.

iiiNelson

I started out with Aperture, but it became pretty clear, even early on, that it wasn't a priority at Apple. Too bad, because it had the potential to be really great.

I spent quite a bit of time digging into C1 about 6 months ago, just because I wanted to see if it brought anything to the table for my images. It's a good RAW converter and there are some cool tools but at the end of the day, I couldn't warm up to the interface, it didn't produce better output vs. LR, (for me, anyway) and it was unstable. The instability part seems to be a recurring theme with many users. It may be that C1 is a good choice for Phase back users, as I'm sure the pipeline and other bits are optimized for these customers, but I don't think it's ready for prime time for others. Just my opinion, of course, and YMMV. I'm very happy with LR, really always have been, and have no plans to retest the C1 waters.
I agree that was a huge issue with Aperture2 and before but I didn't get into Aperture until Aperture 3. Apple has supported it pretty well as far as I could tell but I agree I will probably just stick with Lightroom. Adobe has way more support and regular updates. The Photoshop Photographer bundle isn't really a bad deal either for the regular updates and constant support you get with it. I won't live with and constantly deal with glitches.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
There was a time, around Lightroom 1 - 3, where I had both LR and C1, and it made sense. I must admit though, C1 never was stable on my MacPro, always had major glitches and flaws, besides the GUI stomped on my nerves.

Last time I used C1 was with version 4.8.2 which is long ago. I wasn't bothered wasting my time anymore with it and LR was steadily improving.

I doubt that C1 is giving you enough advantage over LR to even bother. This may be different when working with MFDB files specifically from PhaseOne.

Ben Rubinstein

I use C1 all day every day in our studios. For personal work I use ACR. For Sony files I find C1 to have an awful profile, especially for skin tones and no sharpness advantage. I also much prefer the ACR GUI and way of working but then I've used it since version 2.

Some things with C1 really annoy me. Having to press shift to copy settings in a panel. I know why they did it but why not default to immediately 'copy to selected images' rather than default to 'pop up box'? Another really big annoyance is that crop and rotate have to be done seperately, why for heavens sake can I not make a crop and then rotate it like every other imaging program on the planet? Added to that when you rotate it automatically makes a crop for you, to change that crop you cannot just draw the crop, you have to drag the handles. The crop/rotate limitations are literally costing us hours in post work every day at our studios as every documents we photograph needs to be rotated to perfect and cropped and we shoot thousands a day. The only reason I put up with it is we are cropping and rotating the RAW's and I can't use ICC profiles in any other software. Other annoyances, they still haven't fixed a bug on the windows version where you cannot change the order of the output queue. I'll set up 1000 files to output to JPG, boss comes in with an urgent document to photograph, I shoot it, he either has to wait over an hour to get his picture or I have to delete the queue to get the urgent file out first. Previews are slow and if you try working on an image while a preview is rendering your entire computer slows down and this is on 6 core i7's with 16gb ram and SSD's. I can't crop and listen to music at the same time due to the slow downs. The work is on a 500mb/s plus Raid 6 SAS drive. Same thing on multiple computers. My (much slower) computer at home which handles ACR fine with my A7r files, C1 cannot begin to deal with the previews, it's impossible to do real time adjustments! If you copy all adjustments from one image to some hundreds within a session it takes about a minute longer than it says it is, if you switch to another session in the meantime thinking it's done then it stops copying the settings and you end up with only half of the images having the correct settings. Sigh...

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I use C1 all day every day in our studios. For personal work I use ACR. For Sony files I find C1 to have an awful profile, especially for skin tones and no sharpness advantage. I also much prefer the ACR GUI and way of working but then I've used it since version 2.

Some things with C1 really annoy me. Having to press shift to copy settings in a panel. I know why they did it but why not default to immediately 'copy to selected images' rather than default to 'pop up box'? Another really big annoyance is that crop and rotate have to be done seperately, why for heavens sake can I not make a crop and then rotate it like every other imaging program on the planet? Added to that when you rotate it automatically makes a crop for you, to change that crop you cannot just draw the crop, you have to drag the handles. The crop/rotate limitations are literally costing us hours in post work every day at our studios as every documents we photograph needs to be rotated to perfect and cropped and we shoot thousands a day. The only reason I put up with it is we are cropping and rotating the RAW's and I can't use ICC profiles in any other software. Other annoyances, they still haven't fixed a bug on the windows version where you cannot change the order of the output queue. I'll set up 1000 files to output to JPG, boss comes in with an urgent document to photograph, I shoot it, he either has to wait over an hour to get his picture or I have to delete the queue to get the urgent file out first. Previews are slow and if you try working on an image while a preview is rendering your entire computer slows down and this is on 6 core i7's with 16gb ram and SSD's. I can't crop and listen to music at the same time due to the slow downs. The work is on a 500mb/s plus Raid 6 SAS drive. Same thing on multiple computers. My (much slower) computer at home which handles ACR fine with my A7r files, C1 cannot begin to deal with the previews, it's impossible to do real time adjustments! If you copy all adjustments from one image to some hundreds within a session it takes about a minute longer than it says it is, if you switch to another session in the meantime thinking it's done then it stops copying the settings and you end up with only half of the images having the correct settings. Sigh...
Thanks for the comments all. I was mostly trying to see what all the fuss was about but it seems there are multiple bugs in this software. Maybe an older version is more stable but that's why they should do release candidates and let people test with various computer setups.

I agree that this is probably designed around the Phase One-Mamiya-Leaf family of cameras and files first. Maybe it works much better with those files but Capture One is also why I can't see myself every buying completely into the Phase One system.

M

mjr

The C1 handling of Sony files is definitely different to other cameras, the D800/E files have a real richness that is tricky to describe, I now only use C1 for processing those files, however for the RX1 the default settings are definitely not so good, mine are fairly yellow and always require a white balance reset, something I very rarely have to do with Nikon files. It's not a big problem for me personally as I can just adjust the first and sync the changes on a set. LR does do far better at default with the RX1 but I still feel I am missing that richness without a lot more work in LR.

I have never seen the issue you are having on import, strangely it looks like the duplicates you have on the screenshot are not even straight duplicates, they all look different, something strange is going on there. If you can get to the bottom of it though I do feel that for me C1 is worth the effort, there are frustrations as Ben has described but there are lots of positives too, I find the keystone corrections great, layers where you can brush out the effect is great, the noise seems to be handled better as is the sharpening, all in all I prefer the files but it's such a personal thing that no two people will see the same.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Mat

iiiNelson

The C1 handling of Sony files is definitely different to other cameras, the D800/E files have a real richness that is tricky to describe, I now only use C1 for processing those files, however for the RX1 the default settings are definitely not so good, mine are fairly yellow and always require a white balance reset, something I very rarely have to do with Nikon files. It's not a big problem for me personally as I can just adjust the first and sync the changes on a set. LR does do far better at default with the RX1 but I still feel I am missing that richness without a lot more work in LR.

I have never seen the issue you are having on import, strangely it looks like the duplicates you have on the screenshot are not even straight duplicates, they all look different, something strange is going on there. If you can get to the bottom of it though I do feel that for me C1 is worth the effort, there are frustrations as Ben has described but there are lots of positives too, I find the keystone corrections great, layers where you can brush out the effect is great, the noise seems to be handled better as is the sharpening, all in all I prefer the files but it's such a personal thing that no two people will see the same.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Mat
Yeah and that's the thing... They aren't actually duplicates. When I export the actual image exports but I can't actually tell what image is in the previews to export until after I export and see the results. God forbid I had a really large import or job to do. I'd switch RAW converters on this alone.

I did play around with the conversions and it does do a very good job on Leica M9 files and it's not half bad either with Sony A7/A7r either provided you don't need extensive lens corrections on the image (So short telephoto or longer isn't a huge issue.)

These types of simple glitches and bugs are annoying. If it weren't for these types of oddball issues I could probably deal with some of the other smaller quirks.

ShooterSteve

I find no advantages to C1 Pro in comparison to LR. I use C1 Pro on jobs because that's what all the techs use and most art directors expect, but that is slowly changing too. Of course I also use it when I shoot with Phase One cameras. I have not found any bugs in the latest version. After capture when I'm back in the studio processing everything, I use LR. As someone has already mentioned the lens database in LR is much more extensive than in C1. Unless you need C1 for a specific reason, I wouldn't bother with it.