The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A77II/A6000 APS sensor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I know these are two new cameras that just came out and I do have them both and I have not spent a ton of time on the A77II yet but they are basically the same sensor and I did put some time in on the A6000 by a several hundred frames doing PR work. Anyway my point here is this and I have to actually give Sony some real credit here. Yea the bodies and functions may not all be what folks want or after but the bottom line is the sensor and everything I have thrown at this sensor has proven to be just damn right good. Crappy english there but who cares, this ain't 1990 technology anymore this sensor is maybe the best I have seen in this format. If there is one thing I have noticed comparing it to the A7r sensor is color depth and this maybe the only area I would give a negative comment, the good news you can fix it in post. What i have noticed and this maybe due to some DR as well but the colors are just a wee bit flat.

What i have done is just add about +8 points of saturation to bring that back up a little. I would love to run more tests and such and I am getting LR under my belt a little better and it seems to do a nice job on the Sony files, don't tell anyone I said i liked LR i will get beat up by the C1 cronies. LOL

Anyway testing is going to be out as i am getting busy preparing for NY and have several big jobs starting next week but I do love the A77II AF focusing as I think very very good. I wish they could pull that over into the 7 series as it is focus tracking like I never seen before. Its damn cool

msadat

it use to be that canon was the king of cmos and sony has taken the leadership and not looking back. i have a6000 and just got the a7ii so looking forward to using it.

i really hope that leica also switches to sony sensors for the new m and s.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I never had the A77 before so I am new to the A77 line but the new II is about as sweet shooting as I have seen in a DSLR style. Its just smooth as silk to shoot. My only little niggle is the focusing control is on the body in a dial instead of the menus like the A7r and A6000 so i have to remember that but everything else seems pretty natural between the system. Having 3 clearly distinct different bodies I appreciate some of the same functionality. The menu system alone is identical and that really helps when your on the fly.

philip_pj

Sony have made three very good crop DSLRs in the a700, a77 and a77II, all enjoyable to use - I am glad they are working out for you.

The new sensor is a big improvement. It's been two years since the a99/D600 sensor and the D800/now a7r appeared, and the latest APS-C sensors have close half the gap to them, quite an achievement. All through the ISO range too, if anything its closer at high ISO. Good times!