Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best 200 mm lens

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Best 200 mm lens

Getting ready for a bunch of work with the Minolta 200mm 2.8 lens this Sunday through Wednesday both on a golf course and corporate event. So I thought I would just double check things out in my backyard handheld and with the A7II its pretty amazing with IBIS how low you can go but not realizing I had my APC crop on when I shot these . So effective 300mm here

Here is the wide open full frame

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now watch this at 2.8 and 5.6 handheld no less at effective 300mm.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pretty amazing how a old lens like this is that good wide open with a crop and handheld on it no less.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been playing with the Minolta 100 f/2. This is not quite 100%, and before someone chimes in about it being an overpriced piece of junk , this looks much sharper before re-posting here (the Retina BBP problem)

BUT ... How do you get portraits in focus with these A-mount adapted lenses? Landscapes, no problem, but aim at a person and I get their nose, their ears, their glasses, the tree behind them.... the A7II seems to avoid eyes with non-native lenses. I do better with a sharp manual lens like the 75 Cron. It must work for you, Guy. Is it easier with the more modern A-mount lenses? Does the 200 2.8 have a decent focus ring? The 100 f2 is like the 70-210 f/4, with a thin short throw ring way at the front.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It maybe the 50mm 1.4 has SSM the 85 and 135 still have the screw drive. Im not sure about the 100mm though. It maybe a screw drive. Matt your going to have to do some AF focus adjust which is in the menu's. Every A lens has some adjustment I have found. Not a lot but even 5 points either way can be huge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When we get to the workshop. I'll help you setup your menus for you . Its daunting to figure out all these electronic wizards can do but once you get it setup good it becomes a lot easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Guy. I did dial in the offset on the 100. It's the inconsistency that is frustrating. That and the poor MF ring.

I think I'm just out of practice with "simple" AF. These face and eye detecting systems make it too easy.

Edit: I redid the offset by tethering the camera to C1 and alternating AF and zoom. With the new improved offset, I'm having no trouble with faces. Much better!

--Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 23rd January 2015 at 12:27.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy - Lovely. Which brand of adapter are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Now watch this at 2.8 and 5.6 handheld no less at effective 300mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm using the Sony LAE4. Actually Matt just got one of mine I had two.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaree View Post
    Guy - Lovely. Which brand of adapter are you using?
    The Minolta 200mm is native A-mount and one of the best reasons to buy a Sony camera. Even I have been tempted sometimes

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it's the best 2.8 200 on the market. Canon has a good one but this is better. Nikon and Canon make really nice F 2 200 and 1.8 180s but there big and heavy and pretty specialized . This is pretty small and pretty lightweight. Makes it a nice travel lens too

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Has any one tried the CONTAX Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar in either 80-200 or 100-300?.
    I know they are pretty long lenses and relatively slow, but the sample images I've seen taken on a A7R C/Y 80-200 look pretty stunning. At €250 it looks to be a bargain.

Reports I'm reading elsewhere say the 100-300 is sharper then the respective primes at either end, perhaps even APO corrected in the later MM versions.

The more I read about the Contax lenses the more I am intrigued about them, many of the slower primes are relatively inexpensive and may very well suit my need in the 85 f2.8 or 100 f3.5 focal length. That fact coupled with the higher ISO performance of the camera, they may very well be good enough and small enough to maintain the small & light kit I was originally after.

Minolta users have always raved about the 200 HS, images I've seen from it have generally been superb, but for me, it's too big and too "white" for my needs.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like

If you want small, light not expensive and nice quality I can recommend the Olympus OM Zuiko 200/4, see here. It balances nice, even on a small NEX6 and is perfectly hand-holdable. So on an a7 series it should even be better. I also have the Minolta 200/2.8 which can't be beaten on my A850, but is a bit heavy and awkward on a NEX.

Looking forward to your experiences with any longer C/Y zooms Eoin, I dont have experience with them (don't even have the right adapter) but it seems they might be very useful on the NEX or a7 series.

EDIT: P.s.: I just noticed in the "Fun with A7" thread that Michiel Schierbeek is using a C/Y 100-300/4.5. Pictures look pretty good, so maybe you can ask him what the overall impression is.
    Last edited by pegelli; 24th January 2015 at 07:31.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    Has anyone compared the available 200 mm lenses available, particularly on the A7/r? I have a shoot coming up that I will probably be doing with the A900, but I won't have time or budget to test all the option ahead of time. The Minolta 200 HS G, the Sony 70-200/2.8, the Sony 70-200/2.8 II, in the FE mount the FE 70-200/4. I suppose there are several manual focus options too that may work better with the A7/r than with A900 where nailing critical focus is a bit challenging.
    I decided for the Sony FE 70-200/4.0 since it seemed to me the best compromise between flexibility of a zoom, good IQ and size plus AF and stabilization.
    So far I find it to be an excellent lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Eoin, I have both the CY 80-200/4 and the 100-300/4.5. Each has strengths and weaknesses.
    The 80-200 is light, relatively small, and inexpensive. Very high contrast, quite sharp at the short end particularly, excellent bokeh, focus fairly close. An excellent lens for BW, a little less so for color due to less than ideal color rendering.
    The 100-300 gives a more refined presentation, again a little sharper at the short end, and I think it is a better lens all around. But the downsides are cost, weight (significantly more), anf the lack of a tripod mount. I would get the Novoflex adapter with the ASAT tripod mount if you buy this lens, to provide the necessary support. I would not use a Metabones or Fotodiox adapter for this lens because in my opinion the can't handle the weight on a tripod. Hand holding? Maybe.
    Both lenses have a single ring for zoom and focus. Some folks like this, some don't.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that too Pegelli after I had posted, those images do look good, looks to be a promising combination.

Mark, thank for the heads up on the Novoflex & ASAT, I would definitely go this route and my preference would be for the 100/300 also. Would you happen to have a picture of the A7 mounted on this lens by any chance?, the overall length including the adapter is a little off putting. Definitely a Tripod type setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I too was looking for a good 180~200mm focal length, and quality was more important than speed. I intended to use it on full frame Canon, Leica and m43, so especially with the latter center quality had to be very high because the pixel density would demand it.

I have had a micro Nikkor 200/4 AI ever since it came out, and it is decent, but not spectacular. The best lens I tried was the Leica 180/2.8 APO, but I didn't want to sink that much money into it. The Elmar 180/4 and non-APO 2.8's were just not good enough, and neither was the Nikon 180/2.8 ED, both AIS and AF. The Canon 2.8 wasn't up to it either, besides, difficult to use on any body except the Canons. Most of the f/4 lenses weren't up to it either. The 180/3.4 Leica was great at infinity, but lacked close focus and wasn't as good close up anyway.

There weren't any Minolta lenses readily available for me to try.

Finally I settled on the Voigtlander 180/4 Apo Lanthar, which is tiny, focusses almost into the macro range and comes the closest to matching the Leica 2.8 APO. Mine is in a Pentax mount. No zoom I tried, including the Leica 70-180/2.8 APO matched it. I'm happy.

Henning
    Henning

Post Thanks / Like

Eoin, some phone snaps for you. One at 100mm, one at 300mm, plus the adapter. Focusing closer than infinity extends the lens farther. The hood is next to it. One thing about this, a real PITA, is the location of the bolt that clamps the adapter in the ASAT is on the grip side making it difficult to handle and even more difficult to release the adapter from the cam. But I think I can unbolt the foot and turn it around, which will put the clamp bolt on the other side when mounted. Funny, I don't remember having that problem with the last one I had.

Well it's not pulling my images. Don't know why not. Try this: http://markmusephotographs.com/wordp.../25/temporary/
    Last edited by Mark Muse; 25th January 2015 at 20:59.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's actually looking a lot smaller than I imagined. Now I need to find a nice MMJ version on eBay that hopefully has the hood and is in the euro zone.

I was looking at lenses last night, but the decline in the euro and lack of supply in the euro zone means I may need to wait a while

Thanks a million for taking the time to make and upload the images Mark, very kind of you.

Post Thanks / Like

Smallish, but very dense. I too prefer primes, but this works pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Minolta 200mm HS 2.8 shot at 6.3

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered one for my Sony A7! (Minolta HS 200mm) from Japan/ebay

anyone use it on the M240 in MF of course?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Double posting warning - I thought this should go here as well as in the General A7 pictures thread.

Just received my new HS 200 2.8 and it works wonderfully. Fast to focus and sharp as can be.

Jim
    Posted by jmmtampa, on Flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Could you comment on the CA? TIA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great lens. Not high contrast, which helps in some situations, and wide open there is a lot of CA in the OOF areas, but what is in focus is very sharp

Sunrise at Bryce. A7II, handheld...

--Matt
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glass and coatings seem good. So far no real problems with CA, etc. ..and it's SHARP. Also focus speed seems remarkable for an old lens. So far only positives experiences in my first few days of ownership.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thought I was joking . LOL

Great lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Got mine from Japan. Great lens on the A7 with the adapter. Works just like an SLR. Much more mobile than my old Nikon 200mm f/2 and the background blur is great. Works amazing for portraits too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Could you comment on the CA? TIA!
    It seems to be better controlled on the A7s. This shot was in very bright Texas daylight with white uniforms and helmets - usually a recipe for CA on the A7 with the HS 200mm. Here it is limited to a small patch on the defender's Lacrosse stick head...

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chad, not against the 200 HS but CA appears well controlled with any lens on the A7s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Chad, not against the 200 HS but CA appears well controlled with any lens on the A7s.
    Very true, thus my reference to it being better than it was on the A7. It is still a mighty excellent lens on the A7 - one of the, if not thee, best 200mm primes.