The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

When you lose your FE 35mm lens cap

mesposito

When you lose it, and you will...

I just got the Lenscoat LCHXXSBK Hoodie XX Small, and it fits perfectly, and very inexpensive. Sony's cap is a pain in the butt anyway.

Michiel Schierbeek

Zeiss is not very good with lenscaps, except the Contax lenses, they have good caps.
My Zeiss 25 Biogon for M mount has a lousy lenscap as well. I am surprised I did not loose it yet. It is almost impossible to get in on straight in one time.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I work in a different fashion to never lose a lens cap since I eliminate them immediately on purchase of the lens. I actually just leave them in the box. What I do on eBay is buy metal lens hoods for each lens and both my original hoods and caps never get used. Nice for resale too but I just don't need lens caps. Been doing this for years and never damaged a front element of a lens yet. Sure maybe get a little more dust and occasional finger print but what this does also is make your system faster to shoot with when changing lenses. I only have to deal with rear lens caps and don't need to find the right size since they are the same mount. So makes less stuff flying around in your bag and much more efficient use of your time. The hoods cost about 5-12 dollars and they are far nicely than the cheap plastic ones from the OEMs. I have so many now in different sizes I just save them for when a lens is purchased.

segedi

My Zeiss cap on the 25mm popped off in my bag and scratched my front element... I got a soft cover like pictured in the first post. But still bummed about the scratch.

Zeiss is not very good with lenscaps, except the Contax lenses, they have good caps.
My Zeiss 25 Biogon for M mount has a lousy lenscap as well. I am surprised I did not loose it yet. It is almost impossible to get in on straight in one time.

biglouis

Whenever I buy a new lens I immediately order a cheapo no-name cap off of ebay and as soon as I receive it I put the branded one away for safekeeping. Sad, I know but there you are.

I also ensure that if it is a new lens it is delivered with a skylight filter which it wears from day one.

Because you cant put a lens cap on a Sigma DP2M with the hood on it I use one of these lens hoods on that camera. Works well.

LouisB

Fife

I must say Zeiss makes nice lens but the crappy caps. That goes for Contarex, ZF.2, Touit & Sony Zeiss of which I have owned.