Site Sponsors

Thread: When you lose your FE 35mm lens cap

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When you lose your FE 35mm lens cap

When you lose it, and you will...

I just got the Lenscoat LCHXXSBK Hoodie XX Small, and it fits perfectly, and very inexpensive. Sony's cap is a pain in the butt anyway.
    -- Mark Esposito
    http://www.glorious-landscape.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When you lose your FE 35mm lens cap

Looks like it may be a good lens holder as well when you switch out the lens.

Post Thanks / Like

I lost mine, and my dealer sold me an Olympus cap which fits just fine and works better.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zeiss is not very good with lenscaps, except the Contax lenses, they have good caps.
    My Zeiss 25 Biogon for M mount has a lousy lenscap as well. I am surprised I did not loose it yet. It is almost impossible to get in on straight in one time.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    I am surprised I did not loose it yet. It is almost impossible to get in on straight in one time.
    I know. I'm kind of glad I lost it. I got tired of fiddling with it anyway. As Fife said, The Lenscoat looks like good protection anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I love hoods and that's the reason I use lenscoats or hood hats.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I work in a different fashion to never lose a lens cap since I eliminate them immediately on purchase of the lens. I actually just leave them in the box. What I do on eBay is buy metal lens hoods for each lens and both my original hoods and caps never get used. Nice for resale too but I just don't need lens caps. Been doing this for years and never damaged a front element of a lens yet. Sure maybe get a little more dust and occasional finger print but what this does also is make your system faster to shoot with when changing lenses. I only have to deal with rear lens caps and don't need to find the right size since they are the same mount. So makes less stuff flying around in your bag and much more efficient use of your time. The hoods cost about 5-12 dollars and they are far nicely than the cheap plastic ones from the OEMs. I have so many now in different sizes I just save them for when a lens is purchased.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    What I do on eBay is buy metal lens hoods for each lens and both my original hoods and caps never get used.
    Nice. As you say, great for resale. The hoodies are nice, but you don't get the benefit of a real hood.

Post Thanks / Like

My Zeiss cap on the 25mm popped off in my bag and scratched my front element... I got a soft cover like pictured in the first post. But still bummed about the scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Zeiss is not very good with lenscaps, except the Contax lenses, they have good caps.
    My Zeiss 25 Biogon for M mount has a lousy lenscap as well. I am surprised I did not loose it yet. It is almost impossible to get in on straight in one time.

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I buy a new lens I immediately order a cheapo no-name cap off of ebay and as soon as I receive it I put the branded one away for safekeeping. Sad, I know but there you are.

I also ensure that if it is a new lens it is delivered with a skylight filter which it wears from day one.

Because you cant put a lens cap on a Sigma DP2M with the hood on it I use one of these lens hoods on that camera. Works well.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

I must say Zeiss makes nice lens but the crappy caps. That goes for Contarex, ZF.2, Touit & Sony Zeiss of which I have owned.