The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using the Canon 45mm TS-E?

Hi,
I am looking to purchase this lens and was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it? I would be looking to use it for architecture/landscapes.

This comparison shows it be comparable to the 24mm TS-E but suffering in the corners somewhat..

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II Tilt-Shift Lens Image Quality

So am just wondering, would a 2 x stitch with the 45mm TS-E produce a sharper image than with just a straight capture from the 24mm TS-E II?

Are there any other options out there that I could be using with my Sony A7R?

Ok, thanks a lot, look forward to hearing your thoughts..

jfzander

There is a review at diglloyd.com right now. It's a paid site however.

A 2 x times stich will not give you the same field of view as a 24mm lens. You will have to use 4 stitches. I doubt the quality will be better as the 24/S II is an excellent lens. You will have to refocus for each image. Also your perspective control abilities will be impaired. And isn't that the main advantages of a TS lens?

I use a Zeiss Hartblei 40mm. This lens will fit on any mount. You will never need another 40mm TS lens after that. Expensive, but an investment for lifetime. For landscape this is my preferred lens. 24mm, for me is mostly to wide. However it is always in the bag too. Plus a 80mm TS. I rarely feel I need more than that. Especially with a 36MP sensor and the crop possibilities.

Hi,
Thanks so much for the reply, is greatly appreciated! The Hartblei is outta my league unfortunately.. Am patiently waiting for Canon to update their 45mm TS-E but that has been quite a while now..

With regards to having to refocus the lens, are you able to tell me why that is exactly? I would be shooting at around f11, so I would not have thought this to be a problem?

With regards to stitching, with either Chieks GX680 conversion or Stefan Steib's HCam Master, I was under the impression that you were able to do a rear parallax stitch whilst at the same time applying a front rise?

This is where my interests stems from, like yourself it seems, I do not have much interest in just doing a straight stitch as front rise is very important..

Ok, thanks so much for your response, is greatly appreciated!

mjs7353

Hi,

I use all of Canon's TS-E lenses. From my point of view, the TS-E 45 is rather weak and really not on the same level as the 24mm or the 17mm. I too hope that Canon will deliver an updated 45mm lens this year.

Manfred

jfzander

When you shift the lens you have to refocus because you change the whole setup a little. Different part of the lens u are using, etc. Whenever you change some part of a given setup it is alway good practice to confirm that focus is still on spot. I always refocus after any change I made. And shifting from 10mm left to 10mm right is quite a change.

About the lens being out of reach...

From the day I started photography, i bought into several systems. After a time I wanted more and advanced to a next level system. I always had to change lenses, which in the end was very expensive. The Hartblei lenses have mounts for all systems. They are manually controlled and real fun to work with. Kudos to Stefan Steib.

Presently I am using the Sony A7r. Just learned that Canon might come out with a new sensor. So if I want, I just switch back, or change to Nikon. All with one set of lenses. Actually I think this saves me money. By the way there is only a few left, after they are sold there will be no more Hartblei Zeiss lenses.

I am not getting paid for this!!

Chris C

…….. I too hope that Canon will deliver an updated 45mm lens this year...Manfred
Hi -- Isn't the 'refreshed' Canon 45 scheduled for post Photokina? [I can't locate the source where I read that].

I too could do with a good 40-45mm shift.

…………… Chris