Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A7R with TSE 17 and 24 color shift question

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7R with TSE 17 and 24 color shift question

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Is that supposed to be some kind of political joke? Actually I'd prefer not to know. This forum is a far better place without politics.
    I deleted my ironic message for your peace of mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mbroomfield View Post
    Jack, you won't be able to control the aperture on your 24PC with the Nikon adapter. The Nikon lens is an E lens, not G and can only be controlled electronically. There was a thread on this some time ago.
    Wow, found it: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/499...n-24-pc-e.html. Crapola, this changes things. I assumed it would work old-school manually via the aperture ring... Guess I have to buy the Canon 24
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Does Mancuso work for B&H?"

Only in the sense that he works to earn money, and then sends much of it to B&H.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Playing golf. I am part owner at this point if B&H . Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have not noticed any color shift with my A7R and 17mm TS-E. These were processed in lightroom, but white balance, shadows and highlight adjustments mainly, no local adjustments for color.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I have not noticed any color shift with my A7R and 17mm TS-E. These were processed in lightroom, but white balance, shadows and highlight adjustments mainly, no local adjustments for color.
    I love these three images, and particularly like the "look" (HDR-ish but not extreme).

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice images just wants me to get this lens even more. Look very detailed as well.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw this thread..

I think mbroomfield is correct, you cannot control the aperture with Nikon's range of tilt/shift lenses..

I have the A7R and was looking at getting the Nikon 45mm but came to the conclusion that it cannot be done after seeing this post..

Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED on Sony A7?: Nikon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

regarding flange tightness of the Mbones: i put a very light grease film on the Mbone surface with considerable success

Post Thanks / Like

My 2cts:
    24PcE Nikon, is really not up to the Canon 24tseII.
    45TSE is really bad, don't buy it!

24tseII is very good, if you stay with medium shift f5,6 or 8 are perfect (full shift on the long side need f11).
    17tse is really good, same as the 24tseII, but it is definitly toooo wiiiiiiiiide.

You should have a look at the contax pc35, and if you need tilt just add a Hartblei TS adapter sonyE to Canon E...

For longer lenses you should have a look at the medium format lenses+TS adapter, for exemple pentax55 and 75 are very good, and allow large shift...
    But you could also look at mamiya or hasselblad and many more...

Regarding the size of the minitechcam option , believe me when you put the sonyA7r+metabonnes+Lbracket+TSE+compendium, on the tripod then it's not small at all ! (it is almost the same size as a cambo+digitar+db)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's starting to get complicated. I may scrap the idea entirely...

... And go back to 4x5 and film.

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just do it Jack.

Oh and make this the GetDPI theme tune.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It's starting to get complicated. I may scrap the idea entirely...

... And go back to 4x5 and film.

Chicken ****. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 17 and 24 are a magic combo. I have the 17mm and have seen plenty of images to know the 24mm is a superb lens. Just go for it Jack.

If you want a little longer (and I agree that the 45mm is a dog, at least the copy I owned for a while) then you can get the 35mm FD T/S lens. It is VERY good. No auto aperture of course but with the type of slow photography done with these lenses I don't think it matters too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yea the only thing you are really doing with the Metabones adapter tripod mount is just really balancing the weight between camera and lens. In this case the lens being big and heavy that could be a benefit but the body will not move nor will the adapter.
    Guy, thanks for the clarification. I was under the wrong impression that this was similar to what Stefan (Hartblei) had some time ago as a tripod mount for the TSE lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good luck with your decision.

I can't wait until September when i fly to USA [PNW] and use my A7R + TS17/24 and also Samyang 14mm, stay tuned.
    Tareq

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

fiddling around with the 24TSE, handheld, f8/1/800 or so; my small terrace in nyc, just to show a nice morning after plant watering

shot angled down a bit:

little lower, closer, camera level, and shifted 10:

tripod and careful viewing and tilt would have been a better example of course
    Last edited by jlm; 12th July 2014 at 06:50.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

made a dumbo discovery: the 17 TSE will "focus past infinity" meaning if you set focus on the infinity stop, you have gone too far.

sometimes hard to see in the vf without the mag, even with peaking on.

the focus ring will rotate to the stop until the inf symbol is opposite the mark; however, there is a witness line i overlooked indicating the true alignment point; found the same thing on the 24tse
    of course i was running out into the street between traffic to get the shot, so i just set it on the stop...
    here is an example:

fortunately, i live close to this shot and can re-shoot.
    Last edited by jlm; 17th August 2014 at 10:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My 17mm TSE is on its way. Can't wait. I rented the Metabones IV adapter for now since no one has one to buy. I rented it for 2 weeks so I can shoot a cockpit but rented it longer for my vacation as well to play with.

Right now trying to figure out the best solution for filters like a CP and ND Fotodiox wonderpana 145 looks pretty good. The lee filter system will vignette with 100mm filters or I could buy a extra lens cap and there is a way to get a 82mm filter but not sure if it vignettes or not.

Would love to hear what folks are doing and what they like. The wonderpana does not vignette and also gives you a hood built in to protect from stray light and protect the element. It takes 145mm filters which are big but just like to leave the hood on all the time and add filters as I need them. Makes for a big lens even bigger for transporting around..

Thoughts please on filter setups

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry I even opened the computer this morning! Here I was all set to pull the trigger on the Tamron 150-500 and now I'm rethinking the 17mm TSE makes more sense. The Tamron was going to be used for IR wildlife and I could change filters to fit what I was after. My thinking was to wait until the Sony mount came in and pick up the A to E mount as well as a 720 and 830 filter. All that went out the window as I figured I'd get more use out of the 17 and at the same time using the wonderpana still be able to add filters.

Crap - now I have to figure which lens I want first. As I'm writing this I also figured that I could get the Canon mount in the Tamron and only need the one adaptor.

Right now I'm also interested in hearing how well the wonderpana 145 does with filters and vignette...

Thanks guys!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you saw this from Lee (down the page a bit) about the 17mm TS? allows half the shift.
    http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system
    and this for the nikon (says no 150mm polarizers available)
    http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system-sw150

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    you saw this from Lee (down the page a bit) about the 17mm TS? allows half the shift.
    The LEE 100mm Camera Filter System - Includes Filter Holders, Adaptor Rings and Lens Hoods
    and this for the nikon (says no 150mm polarizers available)
    The LEE SW150 Camera Filter System especially designed for the popular Nikon 14-24mm lens.
    It looks like this can take a 82mm filter...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I'm sorry I even opened the computer this morning! Here I was all set to pull the trigger on the Tamron 150-500 and now I'm rethinking the 17mm TSE makes more sense. The Tamron was going to be used for IR wildlife and I could change filters to fit what I was after. My thinking was to wait until the Sony mount came in and pick up the A to E mount as well as a 720 and 830 filter. All that went out the window as I figured I'd get more use out of the 17 and at the same time using the wonderpana still be able to add filters.

Crap - now I have to figure which lens I want first. As I'm writing this I also figured that I could get the Canon mount in the Tamron and only need the one adaptor.

Right now I'm also interested in hearing how well the wonderpana 145 does with filters and vignette...

Thanks guys!
    The wonderpana does not vignette at all with full tilt and shift. It actually overall looks like the best setup. Trying to figure if there ND block IR out.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'm gonna monkey around with my Lee filter setup (for MF) and what gives. maybe a lens adapter will get most of it. 17mm is w-i-d-e, so probably need the 150mm filter size; at least i can figure out the size required

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    i'm gonna monkey around with my Lee filter setup (for MF) and what gives. maybe a lens adapter will get most of it. 17mm is w-i-d-e, so probably need the 150mm filter size; at least i can figure out the size required
    John, the Fotodiox WonderPana system for the 17mm TSE takes 145mm CPL filters Fotodiox Pro 145mm Ultra Slim Multi-Coated Circular Polarizer (MC-CPL) Filter - Pro1 Multi-Coated CPL Filter there is also a lower cost uncoated version. So 150mm filters may be an overkill.

Bob.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What i am picking up shortly from B&H:

#FOWP145KC17: wonderpana system 145filter holder for 17mmTSE; which takes the:
    #FOCPWP145: 145 mm circular polarizer for the above.

the #FOWP66KC17 system 66 is the same as the first item, except that it adds the ND filter bracket.;
    that bracket is available separately as an accessory to the first item as well: FO66HBWPFA wide holder bracket; takes 6 X 8-1/2 filters

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John The one big question I have is the ND filters the round circular ones which BTW I just learned that you can add a extra filter to the front end via the filter threads so you can actually use a CPL and ND round filter together on top of each other. The question I have is will you get a color shift with the ND filters. Both Lee and Hitech have Pro NDs that say no color shift. The issue with the 100mm filter system from Lee and Hitech is you will get only about 50 percent of movements which i can almost deal with. I found something else out too not related but interesting is if you have the 17mm buy the 1.4 canon converter and get a 24 TSE out of it. Sure you lose one stop but I read its just as good as buying the 24 so you can save some money.

I like the the Wonderpana but if your out there getting it today, I would love to hear all about it. My canon 17mm comes tomorrow and metabones IV I rented but heck Im tempted to sell my 24 ZA lens and invest in a Canon 1.4, Metabones IV and a filter system which would work for both the 17mm and converted 24mm TSE.

Im very curious about all this but I have not used any Lee filters to date in 100mm either. We need some real guidance on the ND's as I have used one that did not cut out the IR and the images sucked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...if you have the 17mm buy the 1.4 canon converter and get a 24 TSE out of it. Sure you lose one stop but I read its just as good as buying the 24 so you can save some money.
    You'll save some money, but the combo won't be as good as the 24mm TS-E. Trust me.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Joe. I just looked further into it and a few folks said the same thing. Getting a lot of mixed signals out there on the net.
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 18th August 2014 at 14:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe reading more and apparently these tests I am reading where done with the Version II TC not the Version III TC which from my reading is far far better with no CA and distortion. Im tempted to try it. Maybe i should rent the TC first before I get really crazy. LOL

Issue is my need for the 24mm F2 fast lens is taken care of with my A77II and Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art which i can dedicate the A7r now to more landscape, commercial work and any speed cam I need I can just switch to the A77II which Im fine with 24mpx APS with

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From Tim at lens rentals

The Canon 1.4X TC III is a great option if you need more reach with your compatible telephoto lens. While previous generations had a very noticeable affect on image quality and AF performance, the TC III is huge leap forward. When used with a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, image quality and AF remains very high. Throw it on a Canon supertele, and you’d be hard-pressed to notice a difference. However, as a general rule, remember that low light does not mix well with teleconverters. You will see focus hunting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe i should rent the TC first before I get really crazy. LOL
    Guy, good idea to rent first. I'm skeptical of the lens/TC/Metabones lineup giving results you'd accept for a paying job. Never tried it myself and am interested in the outcome, so keep the rest of us informed. I have the 24mm TS-E, and the 17mm tilt-shift is not in my future. I'm just a curious gearhead.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I'm sure I've read that the 17mm TS-E gives better results with the MK2 tele-converter rather than the MK3. I remember thinking 'good' when I read it because I have the MK2 and not the MK3. Unfortunately I've never tried the 17mm with a converter because I also have the 24 TS-E. If I have time in the next few days I'll investigate on the A7R.

Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That be great Bob love to know how it would compare.

Of course we could always throw it in crop mode but your down to a 16mpx file.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow! I got MKII. I use it sometimes with my 24TSII for a sharp 33mm. Before I got this lens, it used to go with my 17TS for a wonderful 23mm.
    Good to know the MKIII doesn't improve here. Thanks
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Parsons View Post
    Guy, I'm sure I've read that the 17mm TS-E gives better results with the MK2 tele-converter rather than the MK3. I remember thinking 'good' when I read it because I have the MK2 and not the MK3. Unfortunately I've never tried the 17mm with a converter because I also have the 24 TS-E. If I have time in the next few days I'll investigate on the A7R.

Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You guys are killing me. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Better be out shooting images. LOL

My 17mm TSE due to the post office inability to actually ship something is delayed a day or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered a Canon 1.4 III. I just have to see for myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered a Canon 1.4 III. I just have to see for myself.
    In a couple of weeks, we can buy it from you at a discount in the Buy & Sell forum.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've had the 17 and 24vII TSE's since they came out, and I have the 1.4x vII and III. Using the 17 with either isn't a good option, and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference. It's better than using the 24vI TSE, but not close enough to the 24TSEvII.

On the other hand, using the 24TSE vII with the 1.4vIII is a lot better than the 45, but not as good as the FD 35TS. The 24TSE vII with the 2xvIII is better than the 45, but in the end not good enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool part is focus peaking

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by henningw View Post
    I've had the 17 and 24vII TSE's since they came out, and I have the 1.4x vII and III. Using the 17 with either isn't a good option, and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference. It's better than using the 24vI TSE, but not close enough to the 24TSEvII.

On the other hand, using the 24TSE vII with the 1.4vIII is a lot better than the 45, but not as good as the FD 35TS. The 24TSE vII with the 2xvIII is better than the 45, but in the end not good enough.
    Thanks for this, I think right now until I get the 24 this 1.4 might be a good enough stop gap but I did read the 24 and 1.4 is really good. So be worth keeping the 1.4 for future use as well. I'm really after the 17 mostly for now but in a pinch the 1.4 on it can fill the gap for a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well the 17mm arrived and man Oh man is it a sweetie. LOVE and I MEAN LOVE the movements on it.

Here is a 3 shot stitch the full 12mm to the right and left with a 1/2 a degree of tilt.

Exactly what came out

Than my crop to taste

I did these in C1 but once again C1 failed me and I will have to turn to LR when using this lens as there is no profile and you can see a slight bit of distortion but if I did it in LR you would not see that.

Totally impressed at the corner sharpness. Ill just call it the best wide for corners bar none except maybe a tech cam lens this for such a wide angle lens like this.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That hard light change in the ceiling is really there in case you where wondering all mixed light here. To lazy to drag out the lighting gear and just wanted to do a quick test on it

Shot on the A7r 2.5 seconds ISO 100 at F11

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I get the Canon 1.4 extender tommorrow and plan on running a test on it to see how it does.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hold off on a tripod mount; i expect to make an L-plate that will mount to the metabones adapter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John that be great. I just have a plate on it now but no question you want to balance this with the metabones as the plant to the tripod. Much better balance that way and a L bracket would work great in both vert and horiz. Positions

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just have a plate on it now but no question you want to balance this with the metabones as the plant to the tripod. Much better balance that way and a L bracket would work great in both vert and horiz. Positions
    No doubt John's solution will be excellent. In the meantime, I'm using this with the Metabones III. It's made by Hejnar Photo.

Joe

Workshop & Subscriber Member manouch shirzad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Guy,
    When you get a chance could you please post some %100 crop from the corners.
    I really appreciate that. Thanks.
    --------
    Manouch