The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R with TSE 17 and 24 color shift question

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A7R with Canon TSE 17, how bad is the color shift (cross-talk)? With the 24 TSE?

Thinking these would be an interesting mini-tech-cam solution.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jack I have heard nothing of any color issues. There is a new Metabones 4 adapter now also. I'll look into this for you as it interests me too. I want a 17 after I get back from NY myself.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking this could be an ideal mini-tech cam with the set of the Canon TSE's. I have and like the Nikkor 85 which works on my D800's and is an excellent macro too. I could sell my Nikon 24, though it's an excellent copy too. Tough decision as I don't really need them, but it is a cool idea...

jlm

Workshop Member
i have the ver 3 metabones on my T/S 24 it is a very,very tight fit on the lens and will stay there.

suggest you trial fit the adapters on the lens as they apparently vary in tightness

tashley

Subscriber Member
Jack, I have the a7r/17tse combo but have so far used it very little. I'll do some tests with an LCC sheet when I get back from vacation and let you know.

Bob Parsons

I use the 24mm II and 17mm TS-E lenses on the A7R. I haven't seen any corner color casts etc. with either lens. The 24mm is absolutely superb with virtually no CA when shifted and no corner smearing. The 17mm has a small amount CA in the extreme corners that's easily corrected. If you use shift with the 17mm it helps when doing the small amount of correction in photoshop if you place the image in it's shifted position within a larger canvas. The 17mm - for a lens that wide, is also one of the best if not the best.

I use both with the Metabones Mk4 adapter. In addition I have built up a Fotodiox Wonder Pana FreeArc filter kit which allows full shift together with some tilt without vignetting. You have full tilt or shift if you do not use both together. The only drawbacks of this combination are the physical size and weight of the filter attachments and that you cannot mount a polarizer in front of the ND grads. There is a 145mm polarizer, 10 stop ND etc. and adapters for the TS-Es.

Regarding Metabones adapters being a tight fit. My Mk3 adapter was a very tight fit, sometimes binding. Even with the leaf springs adjusted and then removed it was still very tight. In the end I discovered that I had to grind off the plating from the rear of the adapter bayonet ring which was fouling the inside back edge of the lens bayonet, the tolerances were that tight. The Mk4 adapter was OK.

Bob.

jagsiva

Looks like the Metabones adapter also has a built in tripod foot. This would be great for TSE as you now have all the movements on the camera and not on the lens.

chiek

Canon 17, 24 TS lenses are stunning even shifted edges.

Add Black velvet cloth to inner lens mount,
then we'll take More saturation and sharpness

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, I have the a7r/17tse combo but have so far used it very little. I'll do some tests with an LCC sheet when I get back from vacation and let you know.
Awesome Tim, I'll look forward to your comments.

I assume you are out celebrating our 4th of July holiday?
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

philip_pj

Jack, the general rule - which seems to be holding in my broad reading - is no problems whatever with (D)SLR lenses, whatever the focal length. Almost all have rather slight beam angles from the exit pupil, in fact my Distagon 21/2.8 is much the same as many of the longer FL ZE range, 19 degrees from memory. Some of the M class WA lenses are ~45 degrees!

Not surprised re more visible CA, Bob - my 35-70/3.4 Contax even shows a bit at the wide end - the sensor really brings out faults as much as it does lens performance, and sure enough the MTF lines separate a little there.

Fred did a good balanced write-up on the camera in his usage - he did not even mention corner casts...he did say he was surprised at the lack of moire in a non-AA cam (me too), and all the other goodness we all see.

Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

couple more discussions might be of value:

Zeiss ZE Distagon 15/2.8 on Sony A7r with Metabones Mk III adapter

Sony A7R Review: Light and Motion Photography

tashley

Subscriber Member
Awesome Tim, I'll look forward to your comments.

I assume you are out celebrating our 4th of July holiday?
That's a sore point: I'm in the world' second hottest hotel* on an island off Sweden, with no aircon, no curtains to speak of and a fleet of killer Mosquitos waiting for a window to open... Haven't we Brits suffered enough?!

* first prize goes to an establishment in Finland

sirimiri

That's a sore point: I'm in the world' second hottest hotel* on an island off Sweden, with no aircon, no curtains to speak of and a fleet of killer Mosquitos waiting for a window to open... Haven't we Brits suffered enough?!

* first prize goes to an establishment in Finland
Try St. Petersburg!

On topic, I am leery about Metabones adapter tightness. It felt uncomfortable cinching my lens to something is such a forcible manner. But, I'm no engineer.

Ben Rubinstein

Bet I could beat you. Our wedding night, we were literally stoney broke, very young, all we could afford was a Travel Inn. It was the hottest day of the year, 25 degrees. No air conditioning, no fan and the windows wouldn't open as it was ground floor. They tell me your wedding night is supposed to be romantic and wonderful. Not sweaty and horrible. Oh well, 13 years later and in a flat with 3 air conditioners I can afford to look back...