The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R with TSE 17 and 24 color shift question

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
From Tim at lens rentals

The Canon 1.4X TC III is a great option if you need more reach with your compatible telephoto lens. While previous generations had a very noticeable affect on image quality and AF performance, the TC III is huge leap forward. When used with a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, image quality and AF remains very high. Throw it on a Canon supertele, and you’d be hard-pressed to notice a difference. However, as a general rule, remember that low light does not mix well with teleconverters. You will see focus hunting.

D

Deleted member 7792

Maybe i should rent the TC first before I get really crazy. LOL
Guy, good idea to rent first. I'm skeptical of the lens/TC/Metabones lineup giving results you'd accept for a paying job. Never tried it myself and am interested in the outcome, so keep the rest of us informed. I have the 24mm TS-E, and the 17mm tilt-shift is not in my future. I'm just a curious gearhead.

Joe

Bob Parsons

Guy, I'm sure I've read that the 17mm TS-E gives better results with the MK2 tele-converter rather than the MK3. I remember thinking 'good' when I read it because I have the MK2 and not the MK3. Unfortunately I've never tried the 17mm with a converter because I also have the 24 TS-E. If I have time in the next few days I'll investigate on the A7R.

Bob.

Guy Mancuso

That be great Bob love to know how it would compare.

Of course we could always throw it in crop mode but your down to a 16mpx file.

Uaiomex

Oh wow! I got MKII. I use it sometimes with my 24TSII for a sharp 33mm. Before I got this lens, it used to go with my 17TS for a wonderful 23mm.
Good to know the MKIII doesn't improve here. Thanks
Eduardo

Guy, I'm sure I've read that the 17mm TS-E gives better results with the MK2 tele-converter rather than the MK3. I remember thinking 'good' when I read it because I have the MK2 and not the MK3. Unfortunately I've never tried the 17mm with a converter because I also have the 24 TS-E. If I have time in the next few days I'll investigate on the A7R.

Bob.

Guy Mancuso

Better be out shooting images. LOL

My 17mm TSE due to the post office inability to actually ship something is delayed a day or two.

henningw

I've had the 17 and 24vII TSE's since they came out, and I have the 1.4x vII and III. Using the 17 with either isn't a good option, and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference. It's better than using the 24vI TSE, but not close enough to the 24TSEvII.

On the other hand, using the 24TSE vII with the 1.4vIII is a lot better than the 45, but not as good as the FD 35TS. The 24TSE vII with the 2xvIII is better than the 45, but in the end not good enough.

Guy Mancuso

I've had the 17 and 24vII TSE's since they came out, and I have the 1.4x vII and III. Using the 17 with either isn't a good option, and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference. It's better than using the 24vI TSE, but not close enough to the 24TSEvII.

On the other hand, using the 24TSE vII with the 1.4vIII is a lot better than the 45, but not as good as the FD 35TS. The 24TSE vII with the 2xvIII is better than the 45, but in the end not good enough.
Thanks for this, I think right now until I get the 24 this 1.4 might be a good enough stop gap but I did read the 24 and 1.4 is really good. So be worth keeping the 1.4 for future use as well. I'm really after the 17 mostly for now but in a pinch the 1.4 on it can fill the gap for a bit.

Guy Mancuso

Well the 17mm arrived and man Oh man is it a sweetie. LOVE and I MEAN LOVE the movements on it.

Here is a 3 shot stitch the full 12mm to the right and left with a 1/2 a degree of tilt.

Exactly what came out

Than my crop to taste

I did these in C1 but once again C1 failed me and I will have to turn to LR when using this lens as there is no profile and you can see a slight bit of distortion but if I did it in LR you would not see that.

Totally impressed at the corner sharpness. Ill just call it the best wide for corners bar none except maybe a tech cam lens this for such a wide angle lens like this.

Guy Mancuso

That hard light change in the ceiling is really there in case you where wondering all mixed light here. To lazy to drag out the lighting gear and just wanted to do a quick test on it

Shot on the A7r 2.5 seconds ISO 100 at F11

jlm

Workshop Member
hold off on a tripod mount; i expect to make an L-plate that will mount to the metabones adapter

Guy Mancuso

John that be great. I just have a plate on it now but no question you want to balance this with the metabones as the plant to the tripod. Much better balance that way and a L bracket would work great in both vert and horiz. Positions

D

Deleted member 7792

I just have a plate on it now but no question you want to balance this with the metabones as the plant to the tripod. Much better balance that way and a L bracket would work great in both vert and horiz. Positions
No doubt John's solution will be excellent. In the meantime, I'm using this with the Metabones III. It's made by Hejnar Photo.

Joe

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
Hi Guy,
When you get a chance could you please post some %100 crop from the corners.
I really appreciate that. Thanks.
--------
Manouch