The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R with TSE 17 and 24 color shift question

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It is a tough decision because most of us want both but Sony is coming out with a 16-35 FE which maybe really good and maybe the better general travel all a rounder than the WATE . Have the 17 or 24 TSE for more serious shooting when movements are more the need.

markymarkrb

Yes, I was thinking about this as well. It definitely won't cost 5K either although it is nice to know that Leica glass usually holds its' value. Tough decisions

Guy Mancuso

I just finished 3 more tests this morning. I'll have it up in a couple hours. Tested 17vs17 with extender 1.4 . Tested my ND filters for color balance both AWB and Daylight. With WB card and just realized I left the damn card behind. I'll go get it after breakfast. Than I tested shifting max both 17 and 24 focal lengths vs a single horizontal

Guy Mancuso

Okay first test show the 17mm with the 1.4 extender which equals a 24mm lens is never going to come close to the standard 24TSE and I can only guess that since its not close to the 17mm straight up and most folks say the 24mm TSE is a little better than the 17mm. My conclusion here its a stop gap idea to use the 17MM with the 1.4 extender to get a 24mm TSE its good but not great. I do hope I had focus here but my guess is i did. My feeling the 1.4 extender would be a far better tool on the 24mm TSE to get a 33mm TSE. So i may just keep the extender for now but when I get the 24TSE it will be a useful tool for that lens much better. Just need to find another 1800 dollars to get a good used 24mm TSE. Its always about the money is it not. LOL

Ill get examples up here in a few

Guy Mancuso

Okay straight 17mm first than second one I added the extender and pulled back to match framing. These are wide open. Remember I do lose a stop in exposure but since I was in A mode that comes off the shutter speed so no effect on Aperture so technically they match in Aperture numbers

Guy Mancuso

That pretty much tells the story I will just go to F11 as that would be far more reality with these kinds of lenses. It never gets great but gets workable and if corners don't mean much to you do this otherwise you want a sharp 24mm TSE in the corners than get the lens designed for 24mm FOV

Guy Mancuso

Is it bad. No is it great, not if you really need the corners but it is workable.

Okay that concludes that test. Next one is interesting and it deals with ND filters and color shift

Guy Mancuso

Okay this is about ND 100mm Glass filters and there has been a lot of talk about color shift with ND 1.8 and ND 3.0 and not all of it has been good. I did my research and from some reports Haida Filters came up pretty good but I have seen some color shift but it is easy to correct. Here is the good news they are glass 100mm ND and they cost less than 100 dollars whereas Lee Little and Big stoppers are far more expensive but casuse issues. Go figure cheaper but better.

Now I do see a color shift going from No Filter to a 1.8 ( 6 stops) to a 3.0 (10 stops)

Now I shot this two ways i first shot it daylight settings and all the images come up with exactly the same kelvin temp as it should since you are shooting at a fixed number and if you had a color card in the shot its very easy to WB each image and between the three they are very close with maybe a 200 max color shift. Not going to show that series but show you the ones where I did AWB in the camera and than show you the WB on all three of those images instead and it should represent the corrections for the Daylight one as well in look. Confusing I know but it will clear up here as soon as I post images.

Now one thing you do get exposure variance a little when using filters they tend to go darker in exposures i balanced that pretty much.

Guy Mancuso

This is quite interesting. Once again this is shot in AWB mode and watch the temp and tint change here with No filter a ND 1.8 and ND 3.0. Not all things seem as they should be, so don't assume anything because the difference between the ND 1.8 and 3.0 goes the other way than you would think. Now this is exactly what came up in camera on my kelvin and tint numbers.

No filter at all.

ND 1.8

ND 3.0

Guy Mancuso

Now this next series is I took each file from the ones above and WB off the Passport Color checker in pretty much the same spot. But alas not always the same color balance that comes up but its very very close so you could ignore it unless you are on critical color mission. There is also something else that came up that i notice . My blue skies get bluer from the ND 1.8 and ND 3.0 even though the color temp is fairly close here but my thinking is I am cutting off more IR bleed with the ND 3.0. Thats my assumption

Guy Mancuso

Everything fairly close once you WB between the Non filter image to the two ND filter images but again as you can see blue skies get bluer with the stronger ND filters. the only thing that makes sense to me is IR color bleed in the filters gets stronger as well.

Now this test may not be exactly for you and your needs but I like the test for myself of course because now I know what to expect but I think its good overall to understand what ND filters can do. BTW I think the first shot was 1/160 of a second, ND 1.8 was 1/8th of a second and the ND 3.0 was 6 seconds. So if your doing water type things this gives you a good idea of the timing all shot at F8

On to next test and thats shifting

Guy Mancuso

Not sure how to show this but stitching the 17mm you will have to do three shots one 12mm Left one 12mm right and you need to do a Center shot as well. I tried a 2 shot at the extreme 12mm on both sides and the gap for stitching them together is just to thin for any program to stitch together if not missing a few rows of pixels so you have to go three shots.

Guy Mancuso

First shot is a straight 17mm Horizontal shot. The second is a three shot stitch shot although bad sky that is not what i want to see but area covered is what I am after

Guy Mancuso

Going from a Horizontal to vertical with my L bracket through the registration off but you can see you do get more area when doing a 3 shot stitch with a 17mm. You also get more top and bottom so this could be very useful at times when you need to get wider. My guess more like a 14 or 15mm focal length

Guy Mancuso

Last test now a 3 shot stitch with the 17mm with 1.4 extender for a effective 24mm

First shot a straight 24mm than second shot a 3 shot stitch

Guy Mancuso

Looks like maybe a 16mm lens in width.

Anyway i am done this thread is now complete on everything you wanted to know about a Canon 17mm TSE lens and a canon 1.4 extender and where afraid to ask.

Please send big checks to Guy In the Sky Mancuso as he needs to buy more glass. Please support my GAS habits.