Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A7R with TSE 17 and 24 color shift question

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7R with TSE 17 and 24 color shift question

A7R with Canon TSE 17, how bad is the color shift (cross-talk)? With the 24 TSE?

Thinking these would be an interesting mini-tech-cam solution.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7R with TSE 17 and 24 color shift question

Jack I have heard nothing of any color issues. There is a new Metabones 4 adapter now also. I'll look into this for you as it interests me too. I want a 17 after I get back from NY myself.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even better now the new adapter is bigger internally for tilt/shift lenses.

Metabones®
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm thinking this could be an ideal mini-tech cam with the set of the Canon TSE's. I have and like the Nikkor 85 which works on my D800's and is an excellent macro too. I could sell my Nikon 24, though it's an excellent copy too. Tough decision as I don't really need them, but it is a cool idea...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice landscape set

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool part is focus peaking. You can just watch things pop in and out if focus .

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i have the ver 3 metabones on my T/S 24 it is a very,very tight fit on the lens and will stay there.

suggest you trial fit the adapters on the lens as they apparently vary in tightness

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, I have the a7r/17tse combo but have so far used it very little. I'll do some tests with an LCC sheet when I get back from vacation and let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 24mm II and 17mm TS-E lenses on the A7R. I haven't seen any corner color casts etc. with either lens. The 24mm is absolutely superb with virtually no CA when shifted and no corner smearing. The 17mm has a small amount CA in the extreme corners that's easily corrected. If you use shift with the 17mm it helps when doing the small amount of correction in photoshop if you place the image in it's shifted position within a larger canvas. The 17mm - for a lens that wide, is also one of the best if not the best.

I use both with the Metabones Mk4 adapter. In addition I have built up a Fotodiox Wonder Pana FreeArc filter kit which allows full shift together with some tilt without vignetting. You have full tilt or shift if you do not use both together. The only drawbacks of this combination are the physical size and weight of the filter attachments and that you cannot mount a polarizer in front of the ND grads. There is a 145mm polarizer, 10 stop ND etc. and adapters for the TS-Es.

Regarding Metabones adapters being a tight fit. My Mk3 adapter was a very tight fit, sometimes binding. Even with the leaf springs adjusted and then removed it was still very tight. In the end I discovered that I had to grind off the plating from the rear of the adapter bayonet ring which was fouling the inside back edge of the lens bayonet, the tolerances were that tight. The Mk4 adapter was OK.

Bob.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like the Metabones adapter also has a built in tripod foot. This would be great for TSE as you now have all the movements on the camera and not on the lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Canon 17, 24 TS lenses are stunning even shifted edges.

Add Black velvet cloth to inner lens mount,
    then we'll take More saturation and sharpness
    chiek imaging
    http://chiek.co.kr
    Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFV-50c and Sony a7R, canon systems
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Jack, I have the a7r/17tse combo but have so far used it very little. I'll do some tests with an LCC sheet when I get back from vacation and let you know.
    Awesome Tim, I'll look forward to your comments.

I assume you are out celebrating our 4th of July holiday?
    Jack

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chiek,

I assume you refer to this here: A7R+TS-E 24: Internal reflections in Metabones III adapter and what could help

The Metabones MARK IV was improved with a matt coating. Self-adhesive black velour might not be needed anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost there.
    Now we need an A7r-like with EFC and we're done.
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Chiek,

I assume you refer to this here: A7R+TS-E 24: Internal reflections in Metabones III adapter and what could help

The Metabones MARK IV was improved with a matt coating. Self-adhesive black velour might not be needed anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, the general rule - which seems to be holding in my broad reading - is no problems whatever with (D)SLR lenses, whatever the focal length. Almost all have rather slight beam angles from the exit pupil, in fact my Distagon 21/2.8 is much the same as many of the longer FL ZE range, 19 degrees from memory. Some of the M class WA lenses are ~45 degrees!

Not surprised re more visible CA, Bob - my 35-70/3.4 Contax even shows a bit at the wide end - the sensor really brings out faults as much as it does lens performance, and sure enough the MTF lines separate a little there.

Fred did a good balanced write-up on the camera in his usage - he did not even mention corner casts...he did say he was surprised at the lack of moire in a non-AA cam (me too), and all the other goodness we all see.

Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass

couple more discussions might be of value:

Zeiss ZE Distagon 15/2.8 on Sony A7r with Metabones Mk III adapter

Sony A7R Review: Light and Motion Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Awesome Tim, I'll look forward to your comments.

I assume you are out celebrating our 4th of July holiday?

That's a sore point: I'm in the world' second hottest hotel* on an island off Sweden, with no aircon, no curtains to speak of and a fleet of killer Mosquitos waiting for a window to open... Haven't we Brits suffered enough?!

* first prize goes to an establishment in Finland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post

That's a sore point: I'm in the world' second hottest hotel* on an island off Sweden, with no aircon, no curtains to speak of and a fleet of killer Mosquitos waiting for a window to open... Haven't we Brits suffered enough?!

* first prize goes to an establishment in Finland
    Try St. Petersburg!

On topic, I am leery about Metabones adapter tightness. It felt uncomfortable cinching my lens to something is such a forcible manner. But, I'm no engineer.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bet I could beat you. Our wedding night, we were literally stoney broke, very young, all we could afford was a Travel Inn. It was the hottest day of the year, 25 degrees. No air conditioning, no fan and the windows wouldn't open as it was ground floor. They tell me your wedding night is supposed to be romantic and wonderful. Not sweaty and horrible. Oh well, 13 years later and in a flat with 3 air conditioners I can afford to look back...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to trump you, but this place almost put me in hospital:

Revenge is a tough review...

Possibly the worst night I've had in a hotel - Yyteri Hotel & Spa, Pori Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    This would be great for TSE as you now have all the movements on the camera and not on the lens.
    nope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea the only thing you are really doing with the Metabones adapter tripod mount is just really balancing the weight between camera and lens. In this case the lens being big and heavy that could be a benefit but the body will not move nor will the adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Even better now the new adapter is bigger internally for tilt/shift lenses.

Metabones®
    Thanks a lot, Guy (spoken in my best sarcastic tone). Another toy to add to an already overflowing toy box. B&H loves me.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Starting to get tempting...
    Jack

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's really a no brainer. But that comes from someone that really likes his Sonys but more important these Sonys are perfect for speciality lenses since you can actually see the effects right on the LCD. For me the 17 just might be more useful since I need that focal length anyway as I have a great 24 lens now plus a super wide is just a ton of fun too shoot and having tilt abilities with it are pretty exciting. Also for landscape ,product work a 85 TS would be really nice to have.

Thinking about this more a 17 TS, 24,35, 85ts and the 135 might be just the perfect landscape kit for me. Of course a 55 1.8 might just find a way into the bag. LoL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Plus, Sony-Zeiss will likely never introduce native FE speciality lenses (tilt-shift, macro, super tele, etc.) because the potential market is VERY small (limited to Mancuso and a few others). The Canon TS-E lenses plus a Metabones IV adapter add some versatility (and fun) to the a7/a7R lineup.

I'm thinking WATE, 24mm TS-E, FE 24-70mm, FE 55mm, and FE 70-200mm as my basic kit. Not too heavy and only one adapted lens.

While my FE 35mm was one of the "good ones" (no decentering or color shift and sharp to the edges), I sold it after returning from the Palouse because I didn't pull it out of the bag once during the trip. A true test of any lens is whether you use it or not.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Once you have the Metabones IV adapter than you have a whole Canon lineup that you can tap. Which renting becomes a very valued option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've got the Metabones III, which I will put put up for sale in favor of the IV. Saves me the trouble of lining the interior with black velvet, and has a larger interior, possibly giving it an advantage with tilt-shift lenses. Having just used the Metabones III in the Palouse with the Canon 100-400mm f/4 tele, I can highly recommend it. Worked as advertised on the a7R. No problem here with tight fit.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In my cart at B&H,

Sony A7R body
    Sony 55 FE lens
    17 TSE
    24 TSE2
    45 TSE
    90 TSE
    Metabones IV

Order Total: $10,991.00

Thinking...
    ~~~

Do I sell my Nikkor 24 and 85 TS knowing I'd need this new kit for TS? Complicated because I like and use both on my D800 pretty frequently; so reluctant to sell but then I'd actually then own 4 lenses in the 85/90 range NOT including zooms that cover those areas. Do I forget the Sony 55 because I have 50's I like? Was thinking it would be nice to have an AF lens for the Sony, but it isn't particularly cheap.

End of day, $10K is a lot for a specialized system that is a want and not a need. A cool system to be sure though.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pull the trigger unload the Nikon lenses. Maybe hold on the 45 for now and get that later since you have several 50mm keep you Nikon 50 1.2 and get the Sony 55 1.8 that would be perfect. Nice looks

Look at this as your travel too the Sony 24-70 is so much smaller than your 24-105 by a country mile no less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would also sell one of your D800 and keep the DF and the E

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To me this A7r would take over all the TS speciality stuff so I would look at the Nikon more as your general purpose stuff. So Nikon you still want your 85 1.4 let's say for more AF stuff and lenses like that for AF for now at least. If you like the Sonys than you can always build towards that later but for now think Sony manual focus, speciality shooting. Also the Sony is a awesome travel cam too so the 55 and 24-70 fit in a small bag. You can add any Nikon lens like your 105 to it as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Call me if you need help. Lol

You know how bad I am

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, there are strong rumors that upgrades to the 45 and 90 TS-Es are going to be announced at Photokina, so I'd investigate. If the business needs them now then it's a no brainer otherwise ........ it's your decision.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack remember any manual aperture lens you have in Nikon you just need a dumb adapter. If your at F8 with the effects on its full brightness in finder and LCD so with those manual lenses both aperture and manual focus just a simple dumb adapter will do. It's your G glass that you need the more functional adapter but like your 28 1.4, 50 1.2 and your 105 DC are all perfect fit for the Sonys .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Parsons View Post
    Jack, there are strong rumors that upgrades to the 45 and 90 TS-Es are going to be announced at Photokina, so I'd investigate. If the business needs them now then it's a no brainer otherwise ........ it's your decision.

Bob
    Nikon really needs to update the 24 and give a 17mm option. Be really nice for the Nikon folks

Post Thanks / Like

Jack: I woud not buy the TS 45&90 this time. They are past due for years now. With all the rumors an PK in 2 months, I'd wait. I know, its only rumors but more important that being rumors, they are old designs now. I've been waiting for versions II for 3 years.
    After shooting with the 17 and the 24VII, I just know I have to have them.
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay:

A7R, Metabones, 17TSE, 24TSEII

SubTotal: $7,395.00

A little more palatable.

Still thinking...
    Jack

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would not like the idea of pulling an expensive mobile home with a towbar that is known for high production quality tolerances.

Just a thought Jack, given the overall package and considerable price tag, I would re consider the choice of adapter and look into Novoflex vs Metabones, or if Metabones is a must at least buy the adapter from a local shop where you can check it's fit in the shop and make sure you don't get one that "shaves some metal scrapes onto your sensor".

Overall, I think your shopping cart is holding what I'd call a dream team!!

P.S.

Under any circumstances, do not call that Italian chap! Otherwise your shopping cart will reach items limitation and your next letter in the box will be from a divorce lawyer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOLOL! Fortunately for the Italian chap and I, our wives know us all too well already! In fact, we regularly (like always) use each other to place the blame on a new purchase. And then on the really big purchases there's always our old standby, "Yes I know dear, but we had to have them for our upcoming workshop!"

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey that's going to be my excuse in August . So now we jive perfectly . BTW folks we are thinking the Eastern Sierras this fall. I just need to figure the date of being a grandpa to workaround. Don't I need a lens for that too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay:

A7R, Metabones, 17TSE, 24TSEII

SubTotal: $7,395.00

A little more palatable.

Still thinking...
    Don't think too long Jack. Today (July 5) is the final day of the Canon mail-in lens rebate.

Does Mancuso work for B&H?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good idea Joe, but of course B&H is closed until sunset today!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update. Decided to go for it, but pulled the C24TSEII off the order and added a Metabones Nikon to Nex adapter. I'll use my Nikon 24TS for now as it's an excellent copy -- it's not as good as the Canon, but good enough for now. Selling off one of my D800 bodies to help fund this little project. Will have the kit established in time for our Eastern Sierra and Yosemite high country Fall workshop! Thanks for all your inputs!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good idea Joe, but of course B&H is closed until sunset today!
    I think the rebate is good until the clock strikes midnight. And the TS-E lenses are on the rebate form:

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update. Decided to go for it, but pulled the C24TSEII off the order and added a Metabones Nikon to Nex adapter. I'll use my Nikon 24TS for now as it's an excellent copy -- it's not as good as the Canon, but good enough for now.
    You'll miss not having the EXIF info passed to the camera. No doubt the Nikon 24mm tilt-shift is an excellent lens, and I've owned a couple of them, but ultimately you'll want the Canon equivalent.

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the Sony a7/a7R community!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea we should have mentioned this with the Canon Glass and the metabones IV you do get full function of the Aperture setting on the camera not the lens which is really nice plus you get full Exif data as well. Bonus if you have a Canon AF lens it will auto focus they dang thing although a little slow compared to Native lenses it will be a bonus.

For now your only investing a extra 100 dollars for a Nikon mount and what I did was just start switching things out at a pace that your comfortable with and if you ultimately want to transform everything over. Thats something that is down the road as a option. I went all in and happy I did. But thats me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack once you have everything in hand we can go over all the menu settings. Also setup the FN menu which is really handy in the field

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Reading through this thread is like watching a couple of young teenage boys eyeing the computer that their father has just disabled the parental watch filter on and knowing that he is about to go out for a couple of hours. You know with utter inevitability what is about to happen....
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Update. Decided to go for it, but pulled the C24TSEII off the order and added a Metabones Nikon to Nex adapter. I'll use my Nikon 24TS for now as it's an excellent copy -- it's not as good as the Canon, but good enough for now. Selling off one of my D800 bodies to help fund this little project. Will have the kit established in time for our Eastern Sierra and Yosemite high country Fall workshop! Thanks for all your inputs!
    Jack, you won't be able to control the aperture on your 24PC with the Nikon adapter. The Nikon lens is an E lens, not G and can only be controlled electronically. There was a thread on this some time ago.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    They surf to Noam Chomsky's page?
    Is that supposed to be some kind of political joke? Actually I'd prefer not to know. This forum is a far better place without politics.
    Last edited by Ben Rubinstein; 6th July 2014 at 03:54.