The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Questions on A7R Best Glass Regardless of Price

jfzander

I never used a focus scale for landscape. I doubt you will get the same results as focusing with the EVF for Hyperfocal Distance. The 55/1.8 is an excellent lens.

Dpreview writes:

From the lab test results, the Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA is quite simply one of the sharpest lenses we've seen. It's clearly been designed with the demands of modern high resolution sensors in mind, and is easily a match for the currently class-leading resolution of the Alpha 7R. It's impossible to ignore its price, but in this case, there's a pretty good argument that you get what you pay for.

The Otus does have an advantage wide open. It is sharp at f1.4. For landscape you will use f8 to f11. I use f11. I seriously doubt you will see any difference at that aperture. Having said that, I still think the Otus is an wonderful lens. I happen to try it at Yodobahsi in Tokyo. Focus adjustment is much nicer than with the 55/1.8 as it is totally manual. I still would't buy it for landscape.

What is the reason for stitching with a 36MPix Sensor?

turtle

What I have to say might seem a little boring, but I have found some of the best performing lenses on the A7R have also been very cheap. I have some of the finest Leica glass for my Monochrom and L primes for Canon and adapted onto the Sony, so I know what good lenses look like. However, if you are going to shoot landscapes, I can recommend the Canon FDn 35mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4. At f5.6 and f8, the 50mm is extraordinarily sharp from corner to corner and at f8 and f11, the 35mm equals the 35mm Zeiss FE Sonnar f2.8.

My 16-28 Tokina f2.8 (Canon EF, adapted using Metabones) matches my best primes at landscape apertures too.

The Sony Zeiss 55mm FE may be incredible, but so is the 15x cheaper Canon FDn 50mm f1.4. It beats my Zeiss 50mm Planar on the Sony.

jfzander

Agreed. Diglloyd says when comparing the Canon 50/1.2 and 50/1.4:
For usage trending to ƒ/4 or more stopped down, the 50/1.4 looks to be a fine choice (and at much lower cost).

markymarkrb

Actually, I am selling my IQ180 and ALPA FPS right now so I am looking for a camera setup for my landscape work that obviously won't be able to match the resolution but maximizes the potential of the A7R sensor. I stitch with the IQ180 as much of my work is in the 617 1:3 format so I plan on doing the same with the A7R until my dream comes true of a true panoramic digital sensor. Haha, wish me good luck. Digital XPAN anyone? I'll take it.

Mark

Personally I'd say that the 55mm is about the widest you'd want to go for stitching landscapes, especially if high fidelity and high pixel density are among your goals.

I use a Gigapan Epic Pro pan motorized pan head for my a7R, combined with either the Sony/Zeiss 55mm, Zeiss 85mm or a Leica 135mm (soon to be replaced with a Sony/Zeiss 135mm) lenses. Amazing results are possible. I think you'll be surprised how they compare to the Alpa setup.

(here's an earlier thread about shooting panoramas.)

And a more recent 12-shot stitch...

Larger (but still reduced) 10,000 pixel wide version here - https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5472/14589920173_b7ca554b5f_o.jpg