Site Sponsors

Thread: Questions on A7R Best Glass Regardless of Price

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Questions on A7R Best Glass Regardless of Price

I am looking to purchase an Sony A7R. I would like to use it to do landscape photography and stitch panoramas so I would prefer the lenses to have a focus scale. Some of the lenses I am considering are the

Leica WATE
    Canon 17 or 24 TSE
    Zeiss 15MM
    Zeiss OTUS
    or anything else someone could come up with.

Regardless of price, what are the best lenses that can be used for the A7R?

Thanks,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions on A7R Best Glass Regardless of Price

I have both the 17 TS-E, and the W.A.T.E-- my preference is for the W.A.T.E.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious - If you are going to stitch, why are you choosing among wide/ultra wide lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

I stitch with a Zeiss 100 Macro Planar. The Zeiss 15 is great, but I've never stitched with it. The Canon 17 is problematical with flare and can't use conventional filters.

Post Thanks / Like

If size and weight is an issue, the WATE definitely
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ultrawide is obviously not ideal for stitching but I need to find the happy medium between depth of field and stitching, which is not easy to do without tilting. I try to have the final output at a 1:3 ratio. The size of the WATE is tempting but I am more interested in maximizing image quality.

The list of lenses on top was just a thought. I am really up for any ideas.

Thanks everyone,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you are stitching, best lens I can think of is the 55FE. It is sharper on the A7R than my Coastal Optics 60mm, which is a pretty sharp lens cost 6x as much.

Reality is that everybody cooks their RAW files and I'm sure Sony does this with the FE lenses. Different context, but same reason why I think my IQ files always look better out of C1 than any other RAW converter.

On DoF, I think at F8-F11 you'll get a decent amount. Trade off with wider lenses for pano stitching is distortion against DoF, YMMV.

Cheers...

Post Thanks / Like

The 24mm TS-E is the sharpest lens I've mounted on any camera. Easy to filter and stitch too.

That said, I just picked up the new Canon 16-35mm f4 IS. Wow! IMO it's the sharpest (corner to corner) and most versatile UWA walk-around solution for full frame Canon or Sony when not bringing a tripod.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping the incoming Sony FE16-35 is the Canon's equal. That would be sweet.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    The 24mm TS-E is the sharpest lens I've mounted on any camera. Easy to filter and stitch too.

That said, I just picked up the new Canon 16-35mm f4 IS. Wow! IMO it's the sharpest (corner to corner) and most versatile UWA walk-around solution for full frame Canon or Sony when not bringing a tripod.
    Do share some corners please!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Zeiss-Hartblei Superrotator 4/40.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Otus would probably be sharper than the 55FE but I don't know if the extra $3K is money well spent for marginal increases in resolution.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    The Otus would probably be sharper than the 55FE but I don't know if the extra $3K is money well spent for marginal increases in resolution.
    This could very well be true and like you said, the IQ differences are likely subtle. I don't have the Otus, but the FE 55/1.8 that I DO have is a ridiculously good match with the sensor of the A7R. Hard to imagine anything much better for stitching.
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see the Otus on your list - I'm not really familiar with the A7r, but I was shown some shots taken with it using the Zeiss 55mm (Otus) and I was ... astounded. If lens/sensor combos like that are a portent of things to come, then we might all be shooting with mirrorless compacts before too long.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    This could very well be true and like you said, the IQ differences are likely subtle. I don't have the Otus, but the FE 55/1.8 that I DO have is a ridiculously good match with the sensor of the A7R. Hard to imagine anything much better for stitching.
    Agree that the 55 is a great lens. The Zeiss 135/2 seems to be really sharp as well and if you're stitching then it's possible it would have less distortion than the 55FE.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Don't overlook this setup for stitching with the A7R. Gives you a wide range of lens options and movements as well.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Don't overlook this setup for stitching with the A7R. Gives you a wide range of lens options and movements as well.
    But does it give a wide range of options? No wide lenses. Limited size of stitch. I wanted to love this, but I don't know if I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is infinity hard to nail with the 55FE without a focus scale on the lens? What about for hyper focal DOF?

Thanks,
    Mark

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markymarkrb View Post
    Is infinity hard to nail with the 55FE without a focus scale on the lens? What about for hyper focal DOF?

Thanks,
    Mark
    It's a focus by wire lens so it doesn't have the tactile and natural focusing of say an older model manual focus lens. You buy the 55FE for autofocus and the sheer image quality that it exhibits.

I know it got some bad feedback based the specs and aperture speed when it was announced by people used to Canon and Nikon prices but it really is a premium lens. I own some very good glass between my M-mount glass, Sony FE glass, and my Zeiss Contax/Yashica glass and I can't say any of them really outperform the 55FE by a large margin if at all.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markymarkrb View Post
    Is infinity hard to nail with the 55FE without a focus scale on the lens?
    There is a focus scale in the viewfinder, btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I never used a focus scale for landscape. I doubt you will get the same results as focusing with the EVF for Hyperfocal Distance. The 55/1.8 is an excellent lens.

Dpreview writes:

From the lab test results, the Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA is quite simply one of the sharpest lenses we've seen. It's clearly been designed with the demands of modern high resolution sensors in mind, and is easily a match for the currently class-leading resolution of the Alpha 7R. It's impossible to ignore its price, but in this case, there's a pretty good argument that you get what you pay for.

The Otus does have an advantage wide open. It is sharp at f1.4. For landscape you will use f8 to f11. I use f11. I seriously doubt you will see any difference at that aperture. Having said that, I still think the Otus is an wonderful lens. I happen to try it at Yodobahsi in Tokyo. Focus adjustment is much nicer than with the 55/1.8 as it is totally manual. I still would't buy it for landscape.

What is the reason for stitching with a 36MPix Sensor?

Post Thanks / Like

What I have to say might seem a little boring, but I have found some of the best performing lenses on the A7R have also been very cheap. I have some of the finest Leica glass for my Monochrom and L primes for Canon and adapted onto the Sony, so I know what good lenses look like. However, if you are going to shoot landscapes, I can recommend the Canon FDn 35mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4. At f5.6 and f8, the 50mm is extraordinarily sharp from corner to corner and at f8 and f11, the 35mm equals the 35mm Zeiss FE Sonnar f2.8.

My 16-28 Tokina f2.8 (Canon EF, adapted using Metabones) matches my best primes at landscape apertures too.

The Sony Zeiss 55mm FE may be incredible, but so is the 15x cheaper Canon FDn 50mm f1.4. It beats my Zeiss 50mm Planar on the Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. Diglloyd says when comparing the Canon 50/1.2 and 50/1.4:
    For usage trending to ƒ/4 or more stopped down, the 50/1.4 looks to be a fine choice (and at much lower cost).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, I am selling my IQ180 and ALPA FPS right now so I am looking for a camera setup for my landscape work that obviously won't be able to match the resolution but maximizes the potential of the A7R sensor. I stitch with the IQ180 as much of my work is in the 617 1:3 format so I plan on doing the same with the A7R until my dream comes true of a true panoramic digital sensor. Haha, wish me good luck. Digital XPAN anyone? I'll take it.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I'd say that the 55mm is about the widest you'd want to go for stitching landscapes, especially if high fidelity and high pixel density are among your goals.

I use a Gigapan Epic Pro pan motorized pan head for my a7R, combined with either the Sony/Zeiss 55mm, Zeiss 85mm or a Leica 135mm (soon to be replaced with a Sony/Zeiss 135mm) lenses. Amazing results are possible. I think you'll be surprised how they compare to the Alpa setup.

(here's an earlier thread about shooting panoramas.)

And a more recent 12-shot stitch...

Larger (but still reduced) 10,000 pixel wide version here - https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5472/...ca554b5f_o.jpg
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post