Site Sponsors

Thread: Sigma 18-35 1.8 zoom for APS

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sigma 18-35 1.8 zoom for APS

Just finished shooting a test round with this lens. Wow from the LCD alone this maybe the sharpest zoom I have every tried and no not at 2.8 but a unheard of 1.8. Eating a very bad breakfast first. Lol
    If I don't stroke out from it than I will have images up for viewing. But it's a winner and a surprise for A7r users. No vignetting at about 28mm setting so its a full 36 mpx which translates to maybe a 36mm on FF. now that's interesting. Explain more later
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma 18-35 1.8 zoom for APS

I might be rethinking the A7r and this as if the crop factor is off than it's shooting at 36mpx. So if the vignette stops at 28 and longer than it is considered a FF 28 and higher lens at 36mpx. Hmmm
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just for fun a 18mm at 5.6 shot all images here are with the A77II

Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 13th July 2014 at 08:50.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These images are blazing sharp. I noticed on my corner tests at least by F4 all corners are tack sharp at all focal lengths and a couple even at 2.8.

This lens once again Sigma Art series lenses are proof they are very serious about image quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

35mm at 1.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

18mm setting at F10

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

20mm at 5.6

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

18mm at 2.8 handheld all of these are

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, when/if you have a chance, I'd be curious to see some shots with this lens on the A7R.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I'm going to run another test for the A7r this lens can be shot on it at full 36mpx. I want to see where the vignetting starts and ends in regards to focal lengths. We have just found a 28 and 35 1.8 lens .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay let me show you real quickly here the A7R with the Sigma 18-35 and the Sony 4 adapter.

Now this is in crop mode this first image at 18mm which is a 26mm FF equivalent.

Now from the same spot take off the crop mode setting in the camera you get this.

Now if I take the crop mode image and overlay it over the non crop mode image you will see you get a lot of extra image area to work with.

Okay I went into that image and keeping the same aspect ratio I was able to squeeze even more out of it so maybe 24 or 25mm

Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 13th July 2014 at 11:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So looking at this you can crop in several directions and get a wider image and /or taller image. Maybe even squeeze a 24mm lens out of it. Now shooting this way by the time you crop lets say you get to basically a 15-18mpx camera depending on how you crop. So maybe not the ideal way to shoot this lens but we have another option.

What if I did not turn off the crop and just zoomed out past the hard vignetting of the lens and I am still shooting 36mpx size. Well I tried that and about 28mm the hard vignetting went pretty much away.

Now not sure I really focused here but just to give you a idea and we could fix that hard vignette at this setting. So looking at this all of a sudden a APS designed lens is full frame from 28mm and longer. Now i want to test this out more completely here but this has some serious promise and i will tell you why there is no 28MM 1.8 lens on the market for the A7r for one and no 35 1.8 lens either. Dah!!! we may have found a great solution here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same image with a quick fix in LR and now we have a Clean 36mpx A7r 28mm 1.8 lens. Folks the world just opened up

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now if its a critical corner than I would say go to 30mm on the lens take a half a step back and your in at 28mm

But here is another cool tidbit this is also a 35mm 1.8 although a truck of a lens it is faster than the 35mm FE lens. For me that is sitting on a Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART lens than it brings up a option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay that was a brief intermission from the main story and something I would like to do is go out and shoot that more for real on the A7r as there is some real power there with this lens.

Now lets get back to the A77II at 18mm wide open shot this time. This is crazy nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It has decent bokeh maybe a touch nervous but I only see out of everything the only downside. Touch of Ca wide open but easily fixed as well. Its a keeper no doubt in my mind and it focuses extremely fast

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you take a picture of what this lens looks like mounted on the A7r? I'm just curious to see how large it is in relation to the camera. Might be a viable wide option. Makes you hope that Sigma brings out some native FE lenses for sure.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

did the same thing yesterday with the a7ii and sigma, shooting a family gathering. a really nice combo, you get, is mega pixel, sharp lens, fast af camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here we go from my iphone

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's my lens hood. I use metal screw in hoods. I put all original caps and hoods in box so I don't lose them

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Can you take a picture of what this lens looks like mounted on the A7r? I'm just curious to see how large it is in relation to the camera. Might be a viable wide option. Makes you hope that Sigma brings out some native FE lenses for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by msadat View Post
    did the same thing yesterday with the a7ii and sigma, shooting a family gathering. a really nice combo, you get, is mega pixel, sharp lens, fast af camera.
    Yea this is a winning package for the A77Ii. I'm going to sell the 16-50 and maybe my Sigma 35 1.4 and get the new Sigma 50mm Art lens. I can use that on all there bodies. I'm going to decide all this in early August when I have some money to make a few lens moves. We may hear more info from Sony by than.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2 images at 35mm at 1.8. Took artistic license on these

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple more I marked them with focal length and aperture all on the A77II

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, a FF 28-35/1.8!!!

I know this lens is a great apsc lens as well but I can't get over the FF discovery and can't wait to see more examples.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, didn't Canon make a 28mm f1.8 EF lens? That might be something to test the sigma against.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post
    Wow, a FF 28-35/1.8!!!

I know this lens is a great apsc lens as well but I can't get over the FF discovery and can't wait to see more examples.
    I'm wondering whether a 28-35mm at that size is worth the f1.8, especially when the corners don't get ok till 30mm. I'd say just get the 35mm f1.4 ART which is beyond good if you want to use it on FF. There are probably several decent fast 35mm lenses out there actually which are not so big either.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I'm wondering whether a 28-35mm at that size is worth the f1.8, especially when the corners don't get ok till 30mm. I'd say just get the 35mm f1.4 ART which is beyond good if you want to use it on FF. There are probably several decent fast 35mm lenses out there actually which are not so big either.
    I agree the 35/1.4 and your feet is probably the better option. I think it's great when options like this turn up unexpected like the SEL1018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting Guy, very interesting.

Whilst I know these are only small .jpegs for the web, if you'd posted a number of the images in the MF section, I wouldn't have blinked - probably due to the corner performance of the lens, which looks spectacular for a WA/zoom.

The quality and innovation that's taking place in the small-sensor segment continues to amaze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What's interesting is at 18 mm the corners are great at f4 the 24 and 35 are the same at 2.8. There very good and the a is perfect at 5.6 but the difference between F4 across the board and 5.6 only a pixel peeper could see it as it's that small a difference. Now maybe because it's a APS sensor but I have not seen a lens in this range period that performs like this at these apertures. Even a tech lens comes home around 5.6. I can say this without a doubt best zoom in the market for APS and I'll go out in a limb here better than almost any zoom in 35mm world full frame or not. Even at 2.8 you may not see much if a difference and no field curvature issues either. Now obviously it's a 26 to 55 lens in Full frame world but still it's that damn good

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to try it today on the A7r and this time take the hood off just in case. I want to find the vignette break point and check sharpness as well .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frankly as Sigma keeps turning out these ART lenses the rest if the market needs to watch there backs as these have claw marks on Nikon canon sony and the rest of the pack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay did a quick test with the A7r its already too hot outside at 8:30 am for anything serious. But this gives you a idea of what you can pull off or not. Shot these at 5.6 without my hood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So my theory is this you can pull off 28mm just don't have very important corners. But 30mm and above is totally usable.

Nice thing is if you have the lens on hand anyway than for someone like me with a A7r, A77II and A6000 it makes my A7r a viable cam for the lens with limitations of course. Its not small though and the 35mm 1.4 Art lens dwarfs it. But its a zoom that covers a decent range and being so fast at 1.8 eliminates some primes. For the A77II its a no brainer for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Its an awesome zoom alright. There have been rumors that Sigma was working on a 24-70mm f2.0 for FF (or was it 28-75mm?...cannot remember).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't mind me just playing around here in LR, trying different things.

18mm at 5.6 with the A77II

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

adjustment brush is really cool. Worked on the dollar bill and petal here. 35mm at 1.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well all I can say is this is better than a lot of primes out there. Worth buying, I may just keep the 16-50 DT as its smaller and just dedicate that to the A6000 with adapter which gives me more range 24-75 and its not too big and heavy for travel plus the 12mm might just be a good combo( reason being is the next best thing is a E 16-70 F4 which has mixed reviews plus it cost a grand). This Sigma lens may serve the A7r but certainly dedicated to the A77II. The only real downfall on it is that its no compact lens. LOL

BTW just got the Sony 70-200 2.8 ZA SSMII lens from Lensrentals for the next 10 days. On the A77II the AF is blazing fast and continuous focus not sure there are any peers out there the way it tracks across the frame. Its a sports shooters dream, looking forward too logging about 10k images with it. Plus the vertical grip is maybe the best ergos I have ever used. Im hoping this tech winds up in the next A7, A7r II versions. Im all over it if they do.

Post Thanks / Like

I have this optics now since 2 weeks and can say it is fantastic!

Bought it together with the new A77II.

Soon will post some photos from a Venice-Italy trip on my website.
    Best, Walter

http://www.walterkircher.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Guy. Did you end up keeping the Sigma 18-35? Regards,

Post Thanks / Like

This is an old thread but I was curious if the 18-35mm 1.8 makes use of all the phase detect AF power the A77II has to offer. I have a bunch of cool minolta lenses too, so it would be good to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it does. Love this lens a lot very sharp , very fast and great for PR type work. Works beautifully with the A77II. I'm going to have a hard time selling it when and if I decide to switch to the A7II and only because I would like to stay FE only. This lens with my Za50 1.4 and ZA 85 1.4 is a awesome combination for wedding and PR work. The 50 is a 75 and 85 is I think a 125 ff equivalent. If you add the 135 1.8 than you really have everything covered with 4 lenses. Good news its cheap to purchase and the vertical grip is very nice and nice clean ISO 1600 files.

Seriously I'm going to have a hard time selling it since its a dream to use in these type of shooting environments and the crop factor is actually welcomed

Hope that answers your PM too. Sorry for my delay as well. My wife is back in the hospital and had surgery yesterday, so I'm pretty tied up. She is doing good but the battle continues for her.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, many thanks for the reply. It DOES answer my doubts.

Very sad to hear about your other half though. I'll root for you guys!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All the best Guy!