The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focus Settings for Studio: FE70-200 / a7r

cgthanos

As I transition toward using the sony exclusively for my 35mm needs, I'm finding the IQ even with lenses like the 70-200 truly satisfying. In the studio, the colors, sharpness, and resolution are extremely well balanced and remind me of the h3dii-31 that I used to own -- perhaps better.

While I still use my RZ/mfdb for the majority of my headshots/portraits, I've been experimenting with the sony in that role and have been having real issues with focusing on different parts of a face, fabrics, or small details that are no problem with a setup like the 5d3 or even hassy. I've tried different sized AF boxes and found that larger boxes are a lot better, but still there is a significant amount of hunting at close range especially with the 70-200 f/4 beyond about 100 mm, forcing me to focus on something else in the same plane (such as the border between a hat and forehead). The focusing process alone can take a good 3-5 seconds.

I should also mention that I'm using modeling lamps on profoto d1's set relatively high and only coming from the front of the model -- any forward-facing modeling lamps are turned off.

Has anybody developed a useful method to overcome this delay and hunting aside from using manual focusing? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

cgthanos

Haven't tried that yet -- it sounded gimmicky to me but I'll give anything a shot at this point. Thanks for the suggestion

Smoothjazz

My limited experience thus far has me setting the following parameters for the 70-200/f4 for better autofocus of people in unposed situations, including my kids:
Focus Area- Wide
Lock on AF- On
Smile/Face Detection- On
Drive Mode- Continuous Shooting
Focus Mode- DMF

And of course Optical Steady Shot set to On
on the lens barrel, if you are shooting hand-held.

I found that the autofocus hunts a lot more if I set the Focus Mode to Continuous AF.