Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Final version: HCam Master TS 14-24mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Final version: HCam Master TS 14-24mm

I would like to add that we will have one of the hardware systems without lens to demo at our upcoming MOAB workshop (for workshop details see: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/photogra...-workshop.html)

Big thanks to Stefan for making this available!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome look forward to playing with this setup.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Final version: HCam Master TS 14-24mm

Guy,

Is there a setup that you don't want to play around with?
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

8x10 view camera. Done that been there and don't want to go back. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's weird it's now been I think 20 years since I shot film.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    It's weird it's now been I think 20 years since I shot film.
    Yep. That 1.5MP Kodak built on the Nikon 8008 body -- DCS 200? -- with noisy ISO 50 and a crop factor of like 2 was a joy to use. And then it took like 6 seconds to write a single file? And if I recall correctly, it was a measly $25,000.00 to own one at the time?? I was shooting Leica M6 and Nikon F4 film cams at the time, thinking this digital thing will never work out! (Though I honestly did predict the end of Kodak Tri-X by the year 2025 when the Canon 1D was released!)

Times have changed a wee bit, eh?
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and Agfa is gone, Kodak is gone, Polaroid is gone, Fuji last man standing.
    And if some of the few leftover "cameramakers" won´t pay attention, they will follow. We are now leaving the beginning of the digital hybrid market and starting fully into miniaturisation, standardization and substitution of mechanical functions by electronic and software.
    I think it is good. Just for some larger companies it seems to be incredibly difficult to cope with the speed it happens.
    And still - I would wish they would be more visionary and brave to try things. There was a time when Photoindustry was blooming in the 50ies and 60ies, where this exactly was done. Today it seems to me if there wasn´t Sony, which is actually not a Photomaker but an Electronic Corporation by it´s core philosophy, conceptual innovation would have come to a halt.
    Changes have always been radical to be successful. Dry film, Rollfilm,24x36, Polaroid, digital chip,to connect cameras(in smartphones)to the internet, next will be no more mech,full global shutter, multishot hdr-highres, augmented reality, the connection of photography with big data, liquid or magnetic lichtfeld universal focus optics.
    All this will happen. To refuse to deal with it, means extinction.

I am very curious and happy to be with that devellopment and being able to see all that happening.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So I am interested in this item and would like to know a few things about it and possibly see it illustrated as well..

1. Provided that the image circle is large enough, can you stitch a full 6cm x 4.5cm image with this adapter? eg if using a Pentax 645 35mm lens for instance. You have mentioned this previously and made reference to lenses that will work with your Hcam but I am more concerned with mechanical vignetting and how this might interfere.

If a lens has a big enough image circle, what are the maximum dimensions that can be achieved?

2. If using the Canon 17mm and 24mm TS-E lenses, what combination of rise AND shift is able to be achieved? Based on other users comments, if there was not a substantial combination of both, I just do not see the point. Especially when having to "preset the aperture of the Canon lenses" which is a bit of a hassle. Why not just use either of those lenses in combination with a Metabones adapter?

By the way, you do not need a Canon body to do this, it can be done via a Metabones adapter if using one. I cannot remember the procedure exactly but it is how I use mine.

3. What exactly does the rotating collar achieve? I presume it is for stitching but I am completely in the dark about this one

So, as mentioned, I am interested in this product and like many others feel that there is very limited information floating around on it.

A simple video and some images illustrating its stitching abilities would be very helpful!

"daf", if you are receiving one, I look forward to your thoughts and experiences with it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joelorbita View Post
    "daf", if you are receiving one, I look forward to your thoughts and experiences with it
    I've odered one, waiting for delivery ... but i'll be skiing next week so you'll have to wait a bit

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Daf,
    Yes, please share when you get a chance! An actual user experience will definitely be able to answer some of my questions..

Am very keen to be able to get one of these but at this stage, I still have no idea if it is going to do what I am after...

I don't have much interest in using the adapter with the Nikon 14-24mm but am more interested in the Canon TS-E lenses and medium format lenses..

Thanks so much. Look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Enjoy the slopes

Post Thanks / Like

me too interessted in some review with canon ts-e lenses.... best michael
    [ no picture ]
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Recieved it this morning, looks very well made !
    A very quick test with the 35pc distagon looks promising... as with the 24tse...must say i'm very exiting By this new ts adapter.
    But i'm leaving this afternoon for 1week skiing in alps...so you'll have to wait for full review With tse and more.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi David

Have fun shooting it ! I am a bit blocked right now with some articles needing to be finished for "digit!" magazine. But I will post some more stuff and infos in some days.

Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I look forward to finding out some more about this product from both of you..

I have the Canon 24mm TS-E II lens and cannot quite get used to the "rotating" aspect of the lens.. I mainly use it for "rise/fall" or "shift-shift" only because of this..

I am really hoping that this adapter provides at least a little bit of both at the same time.. ie rise on the Canon 24mm TS-E with some left/right shift on the adapter or vice versa..

If I am not interested in using the Nikon 14-24mm with this adapter, is there any purpose to it?

Stitching a larger image area?

Also using it with Medium Format glass but the Mirex adapter already does this I guess..

Am hoping that the larger hole in the adapter as well as the "rotating collar" will help in achieving what I am looking for..

Am wondering why there is no adapter that is similar to the new Contax and Hasselblad H1 shift adapter that is made for the Alpa FPS.

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Photokina 2014

As far as I know, this adapter has the ability to shift in both directions at the same time.. A full shift of 12mm in both directions (dependent on the size of the digital back used).

O.K, granted it is rumoured to be in the ballpark of $3500 US dollars but that does at least have full electronic aperture control of these lenses..

It would be nice to have an adapter that does this with the Sony A7R full frame series, even if it was a "dumb" adapter that simply had a Canon mount, enabling the use of Canon TS-E lenses in aperture preset mode and then 645 and 66 lenses with an aperture ring.

Having come from a large format background, I really miss "independent" movements of left/right shift and rise/fall. Swing and Tilt less so but would still be nice to have..

I would not personally care about a larger size if it had this feature..

Anybody know of such an item? Or something that could be adapted to enable this?

Sorry, got a bit of topic there

Stefan and daf, I look forward to hearing more about this item and seeing some stitched image samples with this adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joel, just one short answer about the Alpa double shift adapter for the FPS.

there is simply more space with MF lenses to use. We can do the same, yes even better with 2 TS adapters offering 20 degrees of tilt (2x10degr.) and 30mm of combined shifts (2x15mm) or independently.

Just add a second Mirex to MF TS to the HCam TS. I have already tried this with several Mamiya lenses and it delivers up to usable 28mm of shift e.g. with the 120mm Macro.

More soon.

Regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Stefan,
    Am not sure about the theory about the Alpa, yes there is more space but the sensor is also more than twice as big as 35mm and they still enable a full 12mm shift in both directions.. This is more dependent on the lenses image circle than anything else..

With regards to combining two adapters with a 120mm Macro, this has a very limited purpose, as far as I can see it..

Does your same theory hold up when using either a Pentax 645 35mm or a Mamiya 645 35mm lens? I imagine that there is an equal amount of demand (or more) for this..

If combining 2 x adapters, does mechanical vignetting occur before running out of image circle when used with a 645 35mm lens?

I look forward to some examples of illustrating this.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, i'm not an english speaker, it is not even my second but my third language...

The adapter:
    -First thing to know is that the tilt is dependant to the shift by 90°they are moving together like the old canon tse, so that mean:
    1) Horizontal shift=tilt
    2)vertical shift(rise/fall) = swing
    3) you can go inbetween by rotating both by 22/45/67 degrees ...

-from lens to camera=
    1) lens
    2) adapter lens mount
    3) tripod mount (for free paralax stitching) + rotating device (so you can choose: Shift+tilt or rise/fall+swing or inbetween)
    4) shift mecanism +15mm-15mm + tilt 10°(one way) mecanism
    5) rotating device (so now you can choose the camera orientation:landscape / portrait )
    6) camera mount.

My feeling is that is really well made, with good material:
    - lens mount are tight with no play
    - shift and tilt mecanism are smooth, shift have click stop every 1 mm.
    - both rotating device has click stop for 90 67 45 22 all the way around 360°.
    - the tilt mecanism is a bit trickky to move, but sure i can get used to ... you have to unlock a screw, then to move the camera in the arc of the tilt, trickky i said
    - unmount the lens can also bit a bit difficult, due to my big fingers, so i use a key just to push the unlocking system.

24 tse Vigneting test (not image sharpness):
    -you can use the shift mechanism on the lens up to 12mm without any vigneting from the adapter (like with a metabones IV or with any canon bodies).
    -shifting on the Hcam only, then you can go up to 8/9mm of shift before vigneting...
    -by combining the Hcam shift and the lens chift mechanism , you can go up to 18mm before vignetting
    - Stitching ratio 4/3 end up to around 37x50mm

35 Pc distagon Vigneting test (not image sharpness):
    -you can use the shift mechanism on the lens up to 10mm without any vigneting from the adapter (like with a metabones IV or with any canon bodies).
    -shifting on the Hcam only, then you can go up to the full shift capacity of teh adapter say 15mm ...
    -by combining the Hcam shift and the lens chift mechanism , you can go up to 20mm before vignetting
    - Stitching ratio 4/3 end up to around 43x54mm

Pentax MF 55(67) + TS adapter Vigneting test (not image sharpness, but a first test say sharpness is good even @ +27mm shifted and that the very good news for me.)
    -you can use the shift mechanism on the lens up to 15mm without any vigneting from the adapter (like with a metabones IV or with any canon bodies).
    -shifting on the Hcam only, then you can go up 13 mm of shift...
    -by combining the Hcam shift and the lens chift mechanism , you can go up to 28mm shift
    -Stitching : ratio 4/3 end up to around 45x57mm

First conclusion, i'm very happy, it is all i've been looking for a while.
    I'm not a "stitch man" so i'll use it just like a standart techcam, with all independent movement...and the best the rotating camera device from landscape to portrait just in one click

I'll try to post as soon as possible the Pentax 90mm and Canon 17ste vigneting tests ... but i'm quite buisy right now...and i'm leaving monday for 1week shooting in Japan ... so you'll have to wait a bit again ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi David

Nice you like it now !
    We have put a lot of thought into this and are constantly improving it further.
    And if you really want to get the full package of dual shift in different directions: We offer dual packages with EOS to M645 /P645 or BladV mounts which will now offer shifted stitches with free tilt angle choice.
    And don´t underestimate the TS Rail for supporting this: for all the Tabletop, closeup and Macro people this is a godsent, surpassing even Viewcamera comfort on 35mm Fullformat EVIL Cameras.

For all the people who are interested in this Adapter, there will be a sample on the Workshop of GetDPI with Jack Flesher on February 2nd.

Regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Daf and Stefan,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, is greatly appreciated!

Just wondering if it was possible to get a combination of RISE and SHIFT with this adapter?

For example, when using the Canon 24mm TS-E II, can you do front rise on the lens itself whilst doing shift left/right on Stefan's adapter? Or vice versa?

If this is possible, how much of each before vignetting occurs?

This is the combination I miss most from having worked with a view camera for many years

Stefan, you talk about offering packages that have dual shift in different directions and having one in Pentax 645 mount? This also sounds like what I could be after as I have the Pentax 645 35mm lens and think it is a great lens.. How much INDEPENDENT rise and then shift left/right could be achieved with this combination before vignetting would occur?

Am really interested to know the answer to this as this is what I need to know before purchasing the adapter..

Thanks so much once again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can´t tell for the Pentax 645 35mm as I have the Mamiya 645 35mm, but with this and the BRANDNEW improved version of the adapter (has a larger square hole also!)you can combine 10mm and 12mm of shift either vertical/horizontal or horizontal/vertical before it starts vignetting.
    Of course this can be different with the Pentax 35mm or other lenses with differing exit pupils and lens nodal points.

Addition: There are also Teleconverters which can improve this.
    I have tried a 35mm Sigma 1,4x APO EX DG on the adapters and this improves possible overall shift (it brings the optical exit pupil closer to the chip and behind the first MF-EOS adapter. Second possibility:
    the 1,4x mamiya converter behind the MF lens infront of both adapters.

A lot to try.

Regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering if it was possible to get a combination of RISE and SHIFT with this adapter?

For example, when using the Canon 24mm TS-E II, can you do front rise on the lens itself whilst doing shift left/right on Stefan's adapter? Or vice versa?

If this is possible, how much of each before vignetting occurs?

Just tryed your request, with the 24tseII:
    - Camera in landascape mode // hcam in shift mode(horizontal) max+8mm // risefall possibilities on the lens:full shift 12mm no vigneting
    - Camera in Portrait mode // hcam in shift mode(horizontal) max+11mm // risefall possibilities on the lens: 10mm without vigneting

For stiching: You can do 1 raw free paralax stitch +/-15mm , easily ...but you can also make a 2 row(2x2images) free paralax stich by using the 22/45/67 degree position, and just translate from leftdown to highright, then rotate the adpater and shoot again leftup and translate to rightdown, very quickly for a larger image...

So many possibilities : all 24X36 standart and ts lenses all medium format lenses+ts adapter, all converter inf front in between, let say i'll have so much to try....

Must say to Stefan, i'm more than happy with the new version !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now I´m a happy camper. That´s what we are working for:happy customers.

And as you all know, I am also shooting this stuff, so actually I am doing this for me also....... :-)

Expect more to come. The combo version (2 TS adapters) will be further improved. More soon.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    Now I´m a happy camper. That´s what we are working for:happy customers.

And as you all know, I am also shooting this stuff, so actually I am doing this for me also....... :-)

Expect more to come. The combo version (2 TS adapters) will be further improved. More soon.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    And you know, i'm not an "easy customer" at all

Post Thanks / Like

After palying with it for 2days now, i now understand that making a review is just such a pain...as there is so much possibilities to explore and to explain ...

I bought it almost like a blind guy... i had to have it in my hand to understand the potential it give...

But you have now a very good product, and there is so many shooter here who could be interested in it, you should definitly have webpage with few pictures, specs and video just showing how it works ... it would clarify evrything and up your sales a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic! Great to hear! I finally have the information I am after!

Thanks so much!

With regards to the vignetting when it does occur, is that occurring from running out of image circle? Or is it occurring from mechanical vignetting from the adapter?

So that covers the Canon 24mm TS-E II, next is the Pentax 645 35mm?

Stefan, when will the combo version be available? Will this be a Canon Eos - Canon Eos adapter?

Thanks again, look forward to finding out more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@ David : The german website is already set up since some time, I still need to do the english version. A video is a good idea, same thing I needed to find some significant thing to show to make it interesting, I am pretty sure about what to show, will probably do it very soon.

@Joel : the vignetting is from the bajonett, so you can eliminate many of this with counterstitching as this will occur in the middle of the image circle.
    and yes - there will be an emount to EOS and EOS to M645/P645/V-Blad combo.

Regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic! Great to hear! I finally have the information I am after!

Thanks so much!

With regards to the vignetting when it does occur, is that occurring from running out of image circle? Or is it occurring from mechanical vignetting from the adapter?

So that covers the Canon 24mm TS-E II, next is the Pentax 645 35mm?

Well as in my exemple, with the canon 24TSEII:
    - Camera in landascape mode // hcam in shift mode(horizontal) max+8mm // risefall possibilities on the lens:full shift 12mm no vigneting
    - Camera in Portrait mode // hcam in shift mode(horizontal) max+11mm // risefall possibilities on the lens: 10mm without vigneting

In this case the vigneting is coming from the adapter
    But for exemple the contax PC ditagon 35mm(24x36mmshift lens) there is no mechanical vignet up to 15mm shift on the adapter... then shifting the lens more than 18mm the vigneting come from the lens image circle, or maybe the lens barrel but not the hcam...
    So it is safe to say that it is very dependent of the lens used, with some the adapter will vignet, with other it will not...

Post Thanks / Like

An HCam accepting Leica S lenses would be a dream machine (even if changing aperture means putting the lens back on an S body).
    Just dreaming...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Daf and Stefan,

Daf, your results so far with this adapter have me very optimistic about it

When you say

" Camera in Portrait mode // hcam in shift mode(horizontal) max+11mm // risefall possibilities on the lens: 10mm without vigneting "

does that mean you could possibly shift two portrait orientation shots and end up with a wider F.O.V landscape shot, whilst still retaining front rise on the Canon 24mm TS-E II?

Cannot quite do the maths but would it end up being roughly equivalent to a 17mm equivalent with front rise?

Hope that makes sense..

If so, that would be very cool indeed! Would mean I would not necessarily have to purchase the Canon 17mm TS-E for the very few times I would need a F.O.V that wide.. Anytime I would use that lens would be for static subjects... landscape/architecture etc where it should be no issue to stitch..

Stefan, does the above make sense to you? Are you able to answer this one?

With regards to your dual adapter combination, any idea when the second round of adapters will be available ( EOS to M645/P645/V-Blad )?

Will these be the same price as the Sony Emount - Canon Eos that is currently available?

With this dual combo, would there be any chance of stitching the entire area ( 54x36mm ) and then still being able to use front rise on the front adapter?

This is dependant on image circle of course... For example, using a 40mm Hasselblad lens?

Thanks again, look forward to hearing more.

Post Thanks / Like

Massimo

My Tip: old Leica R glass is gorgeous, they have Huge image circles !
    The old Nikon Micro Nikkor 2,8/60mm AF-D is phantastic - huge image circle.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    Stefan,

first of all I'm back to testify the adapter works great; I used it with my Zuiko Shift 35mm f/2.8 lens and it made possible parallax-free stitching with it, to the full extent of the lens' image circle.

I also used it with my Nikon 24mm PC-E lens equipped with a Kipon adapter and previously stopped down to f/11 using my D700 - works fine even in this, admittedly awkward, configuration.

I am now searching for a (possibly lightweight) lens in the 20-24mm range and with a large enough image circle for use in place of the Nikon PC-E ... would like the Zuiko Shift 24mm f/3.5 but it is difficult to come by, so remembered your quoted post ... could you point me to a Leica R lens in the above range that works well with your adapter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@ Joel

Yes it should be possible to do a 54x36 horizontal stitch and still use rise.
    Right now I don´t have Canon TS-E´s here because I use my 14-24mm Nikon, but I use my longer stuff from Mamiya 645 MF on a second TS Adapter M645->EOS and the combo allows independent 2 way shift and 2way Tilt as well !

@ Massimo
    I know that most of the longer Leicaa R lenses have pretty large image circles (from 60mm and up) but the wideangles are a different story. Though I have not tested many, this is probably the same as with short Zeiss and Contax Distagons (Primes). Their image circles are very close to the announced format giving only some few mm of movements.

My tip for future combo lenses for the HCam Master TS will be Canon 11-24mm, Tamron 15-30mm and as already used Nikon 14-24mm.
    I still need to try the Canon 4/16-35mm, probably also a very interesting candidate.

All the Zooms do have a built in "teleconverter" which automatically enlarges the shortest focal range´s image circle when zooming to the longer end.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

@ Stefan

thank you for the info ... have you already tested the Tamron 15-30mm, and does it require sawing off the hood to work as a shift lens, as you had to do with the Nikon 14-24mm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Massimo

I would love to test the Tamron 15-30mm , but it´s not yet available in Germany. As soon as I get my hands on it, I will definitely report. This and the 4/16-35mm Canon are next on my list of tests.

Regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Daf and Stefan,

Daf, your results so far with this adapter have me very optimistic about it

When you say

" Camera in Portrait mode // hcam in shift mode(horizontal) max+11mm // risefall possibilities on the lens: 10mm without vigneting "

does that mean you could possibly shift two portrait orientation shots and end up with a wider F.O.V landscape shot, whilst still retaining front rise on the Canon 24mm TS-E II?

Cannot quite do the maths but would it end up being roughly equivalent to a 17mm equivalent with front rise?

Hope that makes sense..

If so, that would be very cool indeed! Would mean I would not necessarily have to purchase the Canon 17mm TS-E for the very few times I would need a F.O.V that wide.. Anytime I would use that lens would be for static subjects... landscape/architecture etc where it should be no issue to stitch..

Yes, when i say:

That mean that you can horizontal shiftstich 3 verticals(portrait) shot to get +/-11mm shift on the adapter so the image end up at 36x46mm and still being able to use 10mm of rise...
    There is also a tricks by using cross X shift which could maybe allow more Capture size...

i'm only speaking vignetting here, sharpness need to be tested but some FPS users says that this lens is ok on iq180 so it should have some rooM.

for exemple with the contax 35pc distagon, you can stich 3 images same way: usable image is 36x54..or crossX shift 4images for a44x58mm or 30x60mm Capture size in both case somes room left for shift on the Lens itself...but a quick test show some CA with this Lens art large shift.

There is a lot of interesting discussion on Alpa FPS Hcam1 lenses, i think it make sense to based our choice on those which are good for the iq180...

Post Thanks / Like

Been following this thread and user reports. Have tried emailing Stefan.

Can we get some image samples and maybe a video of the product?

I'm looking at various options for a tech cam to use with my A7ii in the field. This is interesting but frankly there's not enough information (that I've found across other forums and the web) about this product.

Would really like to see pics of the product, pics made with the product, and a video walk through or something similar.

To others following this thread have you made a move on this? I found out about this project from one of Chiek's threads that got hijacked. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for these samples - looks like Potsdamer platz . I've seen the product image but am really looking forward to a video walk through to see it in use. I'll be looking forward to that. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

A stitched sample using a medium format lens please! A Hasselblad 40mm or 50mm would be great...

One that shows the total stitched area possible and 100% crops!

That is what I need to see before diving in

Post Thanks / Like

Or the Canon 24mm TS-E II lens please!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glowrider View Post
    Thank you for these samples - looks like Potsdamer platz . I've seen the product image but am really looking forward to a video walk through to see it in use. I'll be looking forward to that. Thanks.
    +1

A stitched sample using a medium format lens please! A Hasselblad 40mm or 50mm would be great...

One that shows the total stitched area possible and 100% crops!

That is what I need to see before diving in
    +1

Or the Canon 24mm TS-E II lens please!
    +1

Hi Stefan,
    I'm also following this thread for weeks, i've been to your website and i'm really interesting in your product but please give us more "on the field" demo.
    Thank to daf for the feedbacks.

Jérôme

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I agree 100%, I think information regarding this product is extremely confusing!

I almost ordered one a while back and am really glad I didn't, as it seems that the design has now been improved and is actually quite a useable product now..

Thanks to "Daf" for all the information he has provided. I feel like I have learnt more from his posts than anywhere else

I am interested in stitching with this adapter and like "Daf" has pointed out

"There is a lot of interesting discussion on Alpa FPS Hcam1 lenses, i think it make sense to based our choice on those which are good for the iq180"

I would have thought that this would be a big market for such an adapter? Stitching to get a bigger megapixel image whilst still having access to movements? If I can use lenses with a larger enough image circle and stitch to get a higher megapixel image, then that is awesome!

Where are the examples?

I have very little interest in getting a single shot A7R with a Nikon 14-24mm (or any of the new ultra wide options) even if they do allow shift. Would much rather stitch to get a nicer file with a Canon 24mm TS-E II for example and still have front rise on the lens itself... Or the Canon 17mm TS-E.

I feel like Stefan is so focused on its use with a Nikon 14-24mm that he is overlooking other areas..

Thanks again to "Daf" and if you do get the time, obviously sample images would be greatly appreciated and clear up a lot of confusion! Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

I have also been following this thread with interest. My needs are stitching images for more coverage using a wide lens but not an ultra-wide lens (too extreme for me). I'm hope to see some stitched interior images. I am looking to see if the Pentax SMC 35mm MF lens coupled with a Sony 7(x) will work with this system giving a large enough image circle for stitching in portrait format.

And a video walk-through would be very appreciated.

Cheers

chk

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Mandobossi

the adapter is usable with about a gadzillion other lenses and every one has special and differing specifics. I am testing the lenses I have and I also answer as many questions as possible, also by email, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to offer a complete list with tests of any available and possible lenses that somebody may want. I am still working on producing, organizing and selling this stuff and sorry I don´t have enough time to do that.

I have now sent a sample to Jack Flesher and I will direct this sample to other testers in the US later, so many people can try this and find about their special needs.

The usage of the TS-E lenses was indeed not a primary purpose of the adapter, as the Nikon 14-24mm lens substitutes these 17 and 24mm lenses to more than 100 % delivering all possible intermediate focal lengthes also.

I am 100% sure If I would market the adapter as a solution for the TS-E lenses, there would be other people complaining about the nonexistant electronic aperture control. So, I mention it , but it is not my primary target.

Right now I am working on a set of 2 adapters (I have already shown images of this) to combine 2x shift and tilt in independent directions to support MF lenses.

Remember: I am not Canon or Nikon, no Pressdepartment nor a sales organisation. Just me.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just received my demo copy (unit only, no lens) and want to add to some brief initial comments for posterity, and a note to stay tuned for a full blown review!

Firstly, I need to comment on how well this device is made -- it is a gorgeous piece of engineering manufactured on par with anything Arca, Alpa, Cambo or RRS would release. Second, note that while this adapter only allows forward tilts and right<>left shifts, by feature of rotating lens and camera station mounts, one can accomplish most any desired net camera movements "indirectly" if they have the device mounted on a tripod head that allows full hemispherical articulation. The final thing that impresses me is that all of the above is compiled into a very compact, lightweight and easy to operate device. The entire mechanical module is about the size of a typical Lee filter adapter, or the typical bellows alone for other similar adaptive products! No doubt when Stefan develops the multi-axis movement version, it will be more convenient and allow for more exacting combined movements, but it will also no doubt be somewhat larger and heavier. For my needs as a landscape shooter, this unit gives me 98% of all the movements I'm likely to need in an impressively compact device!

Note that the base lensmount is a Canon, so with adapters you can mount virtually anything to it. I have an older pre Nikon G to Eos adapter and have mounted my 17-35/2.8 AFD lens on it. The initial results are exceptional, and moreover, I was surprised at just how much shift and tilt capability exists in that lens! I also have a Mamiya 645 to Eos adapter, and may scrounge for a 120 macro to test, what I think would be an outstanding table-top configuration. I have ordered an appropriate Nikon G to Eos stop-down adapter and will test several lenses I am interested to see how well they work -- namely the Sigma ART 50 and Nikkor 85/1.4G.

Anyway, stay tuned for more as I get to know it.

PS: Stefan, it is very unlikely you will get my demo copy back!!!
    Jack

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

2. If using the Canon 17mm and 24mm TS-E lenses, what combination of rise AND shift is able to be achieved? Based on other users comments, if there was not a substantial combination of both, I just do not see the point. Especially when having to "preset the aperture of the Canon lenses" which is a bit of a hassle. Why not just use either of those lenses in combination with a Metabones adapter?

By the way, you do not need a Canon body to do this, it can be done via a Metabones adapter if using one. I cannot remember the procedure exactly but it is how I use mine.
    @joelorbita @daf
    Will you please detail how to preset the aperture of a TS-E lens without a Canon body?
    Is this doable only with a Metabones adapter or can you use any Canon to Nex adapter like e.g. the much cheaper Viltrox?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I just received my demo copy (unit only, no lens) and want to add to some brief initial comments for posterity, and a note to stay tuned for a full blown review!

Firstly, I need to comment on how well this device is made -- it is a gorgeous piece of engineering manufactured on par with anything Arca, Alpa, Cambo or RRS would release. Second, note that while this adapter only allows forward tilts and right<>left shifts, by feature of rotating lens and camera station mounts, one can accomplish most any desired net camera movements "indirectly" if they have the device mounted on a tripod head that allows full hemispherical articulation. The final thing that impresses me is that all of the above is compiled into a very compact, lightweight and easy to operate device. The entire mechanical module is about the size of a typical Lee filter adapter, or the typical bellows alone for other similar adaptive products! No doubt when Stefan develops the multi-axis movement version, it will be more convenient and allow for more exacting combined movements, but it will also no doubt be somewhat larger and heavier. For my needs as a landscape shooter, this unit gives me 98% of all the movements I'm likely to need in an impressively compact device!

Note that the base lensmount is a Canon, so with adapters you can mount virtually anything to it. I have an older pre Nikon G to Eos adapter and have mounted my 17-35/2.8 AFD lens on it. The initial results are exceptional, and moreover, I was surprised at just how much shift and tilt capability exists in that lens! I also have a Mamiya 645 to Eos adapter, and may scrounge for a 120 macro to test, what I think would be an outstanding table-top configuration. I have ordered an appropriate Nikon G to Eos stop-down adapter and will test several lenses I am interested to see how well they work -- namely the Sigma ART 50 and Nikkor 85/1.4G.

Anyway, stay tuned for more as I get to know it.

PS: Stefan, it is very unlikely you will get my demo copy back!!!
    Hi Jack

yes, lightweight and compact was the idea. And it is modular !
    we are on the way to improve this system with some more parts.

For me right now I have a new favourite combination that I keep like that in my Photobag and shoot most of my images now:
    A nice Canon FD L 1,2/85mm with Ed Mika mount (we do the remounting here in Germany- this lens is a bit tricky to do). This can shift about 10mm wide open, but even better can be tiltet 10 Degrees wide open.

Can you spell Bokeh ?
    same applies for the 1,2/50mm FD L

for Macro and Tabletop with the TS-Rail I use the Micro Nikkors 2,8/60 AF-D, the Mamiya 645 4/80mm and 2,8/105 AF-D and for best longer perspective the Mamiya M645 Macro 120mm both on a second Mirex MF to eos adapter.

This is reaching Viewcamera movements, both Rise and fall and numbers.

and all fits easily in a small bag with nearly no weight.

But this is not the end of it. Expect more to come. I already have some more ideas.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jack

yes, lightweight and compact was the idea. And it is modular !
    we are on the way to improve this system with some more parts.

SNIP

Expect more to come. I already have some more ideas.

Stefan
    Excellent, I will be waiting!!!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Massimo,
    Unfortunately I have only had experience with the Metabones in pre setting the aperture of the Canon 24mm TS-E II.

Others may work but I have no direct experience. Sorry.

Best

Joel

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Stefan,
    Am not meaning to attack you, I realise that you are running a much smaller operation..

It is just frustrating when you think a product may be really helpful and then not being able to get a clear idea of whether it is going to work for your needs...

I will look forward to tests and sample images from people who have used it in the field..

Can we please see some stitched images please? Of all the images out there I do not think there is one sample of this...

Any idea when your "multi-axis movement version" is coming out? Is that simply going to be a second adapter, combined with this one, that takes medium format glass?

With regards to the Nikon 14-24mm, I am a little confused to its purpose to be honest..

I saw this post recently

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...4-24-mfdb.html

and I was under the impression that the image circle of the Nikon 14-24mm was bigger enough to cover a full 6cm x 4.5cm sensor..

As you can see from these samples, it does not even cover the smaller IQ250 sensor.

Is it really to be considered a replacement for the Canon 17mm and 24mm TS-E lenses?

Am no expert but it seems to me that the Nikon 14-24mm has a lot more distortion at 17mm than the Canon 17mm TS-E does?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mandonbossi View Post
    Hi Stefan,

Can we please see some stitched images please? Of all the images out there I do not think there is one sample of this...

Any idea when your "multi-axis movement version" is coming out? Is that simply going to be a second adapter, combined with this one, that takes medium format glass?

With regards to the Nikon 14-24mm, I am a little confused to its purpose to be honest..

I saw this post recently

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...4-24-mfdb.html

and I was under the impression that the image circle of the Nikon 14-24mm was bigger enough to cover a full 6cm x 4.5cm sensor..

As you can see from these samples, it does not even cover the smaller IQ250 sensor.

Is it really to be considered a replacement for the Canon 17mm and 24mm TS-E lenses?

Am no expert but it seems to me that the Nikon 14-24mm has a lot more distortion at 17mm than the Canon 17mm TS-E does?

As soon as I can do it with some nice weather and according spare time I will do some stitched images and post them on Flickr. full res.

The 2nd adapter will be shown when it´s ready. Obviously some people get confused when I show preliminary stuff. So - patience please.

And Geralds results are exactly as I described them: at 14mm there is not so much movement - maybe 3-4mm of shift /rise - but this alone is already a worlds first at this focal range for 24x36 ! at 20mm the shift is 15mm, which is more than the Canon 17 or 24mm, going down again to about 12mm at 24mm.

The unique feature of this workflow is the ZOOM with all the other focal length possibillities and the fact that nobody needs all the shift available all the time.
    Most people just use several mm of rise for single shots.
    This is what this system was built for. Fast, conveniant and for working pros doing jobs in the field, not for trying to test how much shifting and stitching can be done before it starts vignetting.

The idea that a combination of shift and rise and stitch at maximum movements are always necessary at these focal lengthes is ..... well.......
    unrealistic. I never stated this was the purpose.
    This was built to work, not to play.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan