The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Final version: HCam Master TS 14-24mm

daf

Recieved it this morning, looks very well made !
A very quick test with the 35pc distagon looks promising... as with the 24tse...must say i'm very exiting By this new ts adapter.
But i'm leaving this afternoon for 1week skiing in alps...so you'll have to wait for full review With tse and more.....

Stefan Steib

Hi David

Have fun shooting it ! I am a bit blocked right now with some articles needing to be finished for "digit!" magazine. But I will post some more stuff and infos in some days.

Regards
Stefan

joelorbita

Awesome! I look forward to finding out some more about this product from both of you..

I have the Canon 24mm TS-E II lens and cannot quite get used to the "rotating" aspect of the lens.. I mainly use it for "rise/fall" or "shift-shift" only because of this..

I am really hoping that this adapter provides at least a little bit of both at the same time.. ie rise on the Canon 24mm TS-E with some left/right shift on the adapter or vice versa..

If I am not interested in using the Nikon 14-24mm with this adapter, is there any purpose to it?

Stitching a larger image area?

Also using it with Medium Format glass but the Mirex adapter already does this I guess..

Am hoping that the larger hole in the adapter as well as the "rotating collar" will help in achieving what I am looking for..

Am wondering why there is no adapter that is similar to the new Contax and Hasselblad H1 shift adapter that is made for the Alpa FPS.

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - Photokina 2014

As far as I know, this adapter has the ability to shift in both directions at the same time.. A full shift of 12mm in both directions (dependent on the size of the digital back used).

O.K, granted it is rumoured to be in the ballpark of $3500 US dollars but that does at least have full electronic aperture control of these lenses..

It would be nice to have an adapter that does this with the Sony A7R full frame series, even if it was a "dumb" adapter that simply had a Canon mount, enabling the use of Canon TS-E lenses in aperture preset mode and then 645 and 66 lenses with an aperture ring.

Having come from a large format background, I really miss "independent" movements of left/right shift and rise/fall. Swing and Tilt less so but would still be nice to have..

I would not personally care about a larger size if it had this feature..

Anybody know of such an item? Or something that could be adapted to enable this?

Sorry, got a bit of topic there :)

Stefan and daf, I look forward to hearing more about this item and seeing some stitched image samples with this adapter.

:)

Stefan Steib

Joel, just one short answer about the Alpa double shift adapter for the FPS.

there is simply more space with MF lenses to use. We can do the same, yes even better with 2 TS adapters offering 20 degrees of tilt (2x10degr.) and 30mm of combined shifts (2x15mm) or independently.

Just add a second Mirex to MF TS to the HCam TS. I have already tried this with several Mamiya lenses and it delivers up to usable 28mm of shift e.g. with the 120mm Macro.

More soon.

Regards
Stefan

joelorbita

Hi Stefan,
Am not sure about the theory about the Alpa, yes there is more space but the sensor is also more than twice as big as 35mm and they still enable a full 12mm shift in both directions.. This is more dependent on the lenses image circle than anything else..

With regards to combining two adapters with a 120mm Macro, this has a very limited purpose, as far as I can see it..

Does your same theory hold up when using either a Pentax 645 35mm or a Mamiya 645 35mm lens? I imagine that there is an equal amount of demand (or more) for this..

If combining 2 x adapters, does mechanical vignetting occur before running out of image circle when used with a 645 35mm lens?

I look forward to some examples of illustrating this.

daf

First of all, i'm not an english speaker, it is not even my second but my third language...

The adapter:
-First thing to know is that the tilt is dependant to the shift by 90°they are moving together like the old canon tse, so that mean:
1) Horizontal shift=tilt
2)vertical shift(rise/fall) = swing
3) you can go inbetween by rotating both by 22/45/67 degrees ...

-from lens to camera=
1) lens
2) adapter lens mount
3) tripod mount (for free paralax stitching) + rotating device (so you can choose: Shift+tilt or rise/fall+swing or inbetween)
4) shift mecanism +15mm-15mm + tilt 10°(one way) mecanism
5) rotating device (so now you can choose the camera orientation:landscape / portrait )
6) camera mount.

My feeling is that is really well made, with good material:
- lens mount are tight with no play
- shift and tilt mecanism are smooth, shift have click stop every 1 mm.
- both rotating device has click stop for 90 67 45 22 all the way around 360°.
- the tilt mecanism is a bit trickky to move, but sure i can get used to ... you have to unlock a screw, then to move the camera in the arc of the tilt, trickky i said;)
- unmount the lens can also bit a bit difficult, due to my big fingers, so i use a key just to push the unlocking system.

24 tse Vigneting test (not image sharpness):
-you can use the shift mechanism on the lens up to 12mm without any vigneting from the adapter (like with a metabones IV or with any canon bodies).
-shifting on the Hcam only, then you can go up to 8/9mm of shift before vigneting...
-by combining the Hcam shift and the lens chift mechanism , you can go up to 18mm before vignetting
- Stitching ratio 4/3 end up to around 37x50mm

35 Pc distagon Vigneting test (not image sharpness):
-you can use the shift mechanism on the lens up to 10mm without any vigneting from the adapter (like with a metabones IV or with any canon bodies).
-shifting on the Hcam only, then you can go up to the full shift capacity of teh adapter say 15mm ...
-by combining the Hcam shift and the lens chift mechanism , you can go up to 20mm before vignetting
- Stitching ratio 4/3 end up to around 43x54mm

Pentax MF 55(67) + TS adapter Vigneting test (not image sharpness, but a first test say sharpness is good even @ +27mm shifted and that the very good news for me.)
-you can use the shift mechanism on the lens up to 15mm without any vigneting from the adapter (like with a metabones IV or with any canon bodies).
-shifting on the Hcam only, then you can go up 13 mm of shift...
-by combining the Hcam shift and the lens chift mechanism , you can go up to 28mm shift
-Stitching : ratio 4/3 end up to around 45x57mm

First conclusion, i'm very happy, it is all i've been looking for a while.
I'm not a "stitch man" so i'll use it just like a standart techcam, with all independent movement...and the best the rotating camera device from landscape to portrait just in one click;)

I'll try to post as soon as possible the Pentax 90mm and Canon 17ste vigneting tests ... but i'm quite buisy right now...and i'm leaving monday for 1week shooting in Japan ... so you'll have to wait a bit again ...

Stefan Steib

Hi David

Nice you like it now ! :)
We have put a lot of thought into this and are constantly improving it further.
And if you really want to get the full package of dual shift in different directions: We offer dual packages with EOS to M645 /P645 or BladV mounts which will now offer shifted stitches with free tilt angle choice.
And don´t underestimate the TS Rail for supporting this: for all the Tabletop, closeup and Macro people this is a godsent, surpassing even Viewcamera comfort on 35mm Fullformat EVIL Cameras.

For all the people who are interested in this Adapter, there will be a sample on the Workshop of GetDPI with Jack Flesher on February 2nd.

Regards
Stefan

joelorbita

Hi Daf and Stefan,
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, is greatly appreciated!

Just wondering if it was possible to get a combination of RISE and SHIFT with this adapter?

For example, when using the Canon 24mm TS-E II, can you do front rise on the lens itself whilst doing shift left/right on Stefan's adapter? Or vice versa?

If this is possible, how much of each before vignetting occurs?

This is the combination I miss most from having worked with a view camera for many years :(

Stefan, you talk about offering packages that have dual shift in different directions and having one in Pentax 645 mount? This also sounds like what I could be after as I have the Pentax 645 35mm lens and think it is a great lens.. How much INDEPENDENT rise and then shift left/right could be achieved with this combination before vignetting would occur?

Am really interested to know the answer to this as this is what I need to know before purchasing the adapter..

Thanks so much once again!

Stefan Steib

I can´t tell for the Pentax 645 35mm as I have the Mamiya 645 35mm, but with this and the BRANDNEW improved version of the adapter (has a larger square hole also!)you can combine 10mm and 12mm of shift either vertical/horizontal or horizontal/vertical before it starts vignetting.
Of course this can be different with the Pentax 35mm or other lenses with differing exit pupils and lens nodal points.

Addition: There are also Teleconverters which can improve this.
I have tried a 35mm Sigma 1,4x APO EX DG on the adapters and this improves possible overall shift (it brings the optical exit pupil closer to the chip and behind the first MF-EOS adapter. Second possibility:
the 1,4x mamiya converter behind the MF lens infront of both adapters.

A lot to try.

Regards
Stefan

daf

Just wondering if it was possible to get a combination of RISE and SHIFT with this adapter?

For example, when using the Canon 24mm TS-E II, can you do front rise on the lens itself whilst doing shift left/right on Stefan's adapter? Or vice versa?

If this is possible, how much of each before vignetting occurs?

Just tryed your request, with the 24tseII:
- Camera in landascape mode // hcam in shift mode(horizontal) max+8mm // risefall possibilities on the lens:full shift 12mm no vigneting
- Camera in Portrait mode // hcam in shift mode(horizontal) max+11mm // risefall possibilities on the lens: 10mm without vigneting

For stiching: You can do 1 raw free paralax stitch +/-15mm , easily ...but you can also make a 2 row(2x2images) free paralax stich by using the 22/45/67 degree position, and just translate from leftdown to highright, then rotate the adpater and shoot again leftup and translate to rightdown, very quickly for a larger image...

So many possibilities : all 24X36 standart and ts lenses all medium format lenses+ts adapter, all converter inf front in between, let say i'll have so much to try....

Must say to Stefan, i'm more than happy with the new version !

Stefan Steib

Now I´m a happy camper. That´s what we are working for:happy customers.

And as you all know, I am also shooting this stuff, so actually I am doing this for me also....... :)

Expect more to come. The combo version (2 TS adapters) will be further improved. More soon.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

daf

Now I´m a happy camper. That´s what we are working for:happy customers.

And as you all know, I am also shooting this stuff, so actually I am doing this for me also....... :)

Expect more to come. The combo version (2 TS adapters) will be further improved. More soon.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
And you know, i'm not an "easy customer" at all ;)

daf

After palying with it for 2days now, i now understand that making a review is just such a pain...as there is so much possibilities to explore and to explain ...

I bought it almost like a blind guy... i had to have it in my hand to understand the potential it give...

But you have now a very good product, and there is so many shooter here who could be interested in it, you should definitly have webpage with few pictures, specs and video just showing how it works ... it would clarify evrything and up your sales a lot;)

joelorbita

Fantastic! Great to hear! I finally have the information I am after! :)

Thanks so much!

With regards to the vignetting when it does occur, is that occurring from running out of image circle? Or is it occurring from mechanical vignetting from the adapter?

So that covers the Canon 24mm TS-E II, next is the Pentax 645 35mm? :)

Stefan, when will the combo version be available? Will this be a Canon Eos - Canon Eos adapter?

Thanks again, look forward to finding out more! :)

Stefan Steib

@ David : The german website is already set up since some time, I still need to do the english version. A video is a good idea, same thing I needed to find some significant thing to show to make it interesting, I am pretty sure about what to show, will probably do it very soon.

@Joel : the vignetting is from the bajonett, so you can eliminate many of this with counterstitching as this will occur in the middle of the image circle.
and yes - there will be an emount to EOS and EOS to M645/P645/V-Blad combo.

Regards
Stefan

daf

Fantastic! Great to hear! I finally have the information I am after! :)

Thanks so much!

With regards to the vignetting when it does occur, is that occurring from running out of image circle? Or is it occurring from mechanical vignetting from the adapter?

So that covers the Canon 24mm TS-E II, next is the Pentax 645 35mm? :)

:)
Well as in my exemple, with the canon 24TSEII:
- Camera in landascape mode // hcam in shift mode(horizontal) max+8mm // risefall possibilities on the lens:full shift 12mm no vigneting
- Camera in Portrait mode // hcam in shift mode(horizontal) max+11mm // risefall possibilities on the lens: 10mm without vigneting

In this case the vigneting is coming from the adapter
But for exemple the contax PC ditagon 35mm(24x36mmshift lens) there is no mechanical vignet up to 15mm shift on the adapter... then shifting the lens more than 18mm the vigneting come from the lens image circle, or maybe the lens barrel but not the hcam...
So it is safe to say that it is very dependent of the lens used, with some the adapter will vignet, with other it will not...

anGy

An HCam accepting Leica S lenses would be a dream machine (even if changing aperture means putting the lens back on an S body).
Just dreaming...

joelorbita

Hi Daf and Stefan,

Daf, your results so far with this adapter have me very optimistic about it :)

When you say

" Camera in Portrait mode // hcam in shift mode(horizontal) max+11mm // risefall possibilities on the lens: 10mm without vigneting "

does that mean you could possibly shift two portrait orientation shots and end up with a wider F.O.V landscape shot, whilst still retaining front rise on the Canon 24mm TS-E II?

Cannot quite do the maths but would it end up being roughly equivalent to a 17mm equivalent with front rise?

Hope that makes sense.. :)

If so, that would be very cool indeed! Would mean I would not necessarily have to purchase the Canon 17mm TS-E for the very few times I would need a F.O.V that wide.. Anytime I would use that lens would be for static subjects... landscape/architecture etc where it should be no issue to stitch..

Stefan, does the above make sense to you? Are you able to answer this one?

With regards to your dual adapter combination, any idea when the second round of adapters will be available ( EOS to M645/P645/V-Blad )?

Will these be the same price as the Sony Emount - Canon Eos that is currently available?

With this dual combo, would there be any chance of stitching the entire area ( 54x36mm ) and then still being able to use front rise on the front adapter?

This is dependant on image circle of course... For example, using a 40mm Hasselblad lens?

Thanks again, look forward to hearing more.

Massimo

Massimo

My Tip: old Leica R glass is gorgeous, they have Huge image circles !
The old Nikon Micro Nikkor 2,8/60mm AF-D is phantastic - huge image circle.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Stefan,

first of all I'm back to testify the adapter works great; I used it with my Zuiko Shift 35mm f/2.8 lens and it made possible parallax-free stitching with it, to the full extent of the lens' image circle.

I also used it with my Nikon 24mm PC-E lens equipped with a Kipon adapter and previously stopped down to f/11 using my D700 - works fine even in this, admittedly awkward, configuration.

I am now searching for a (possibly lightweight) lens in the 20-24mm range and with a large enough image circle for use in place of the Nikon PC-E ... would like the Zuiko Shift 24mm f/3.5 but it is difficult to come by, so remembered your quoted post ... could you point me to a Leica R lens in the above range that works well with your adapter?