The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Normal to Portrait Zoom for E-mount

e_dawg

Anybody suggest a normal to telephoto zoom for E-mounts? I'm looking to build a mirrorless system and weighing options between the usual culprits (Sony, Olympus, and Fuji), and one of the requirements of the prospective system is that it has a zoom that covers the normal to portrait focal length range for event photography and family stuff. About 40-120mm or so (135/FF equivalent), f/2.8.

TBH, i don't know E-mount too well and would appreciate some assistance here, since there seems to be a bunch of Sony experts here. Haven't been following all the developments since than the last time i had GAS several years ago and was here buying and selling to expand my A-mount inventory ;)

To put it in A-mount lens terms, what i would be looking for is something akin to the 28-75/2.8 on a APS-C sensor A-mount body (which would be equivalent to 42-112mm on 135/FF). Is there anything like that for E-mount? Either 135/FF A7 or APS-C A6000?

Looking at Olympus, they don't do any overlapping focal length ranges. It's usually 24-80mm and 80-300mm (135/FF eq), but nothing that bridges the two ranges.

Which also begs the other question of why is it so hard to find a zoom that covers this range on its native sensor format without resorting to using a FF lens on a crop sensor body? Am i the only person in the world who finds that focal length range useful? Especially for event photography where you want to get candid / portrait shots, but also need to switch to a normal focal length quickly for a group shot or stuff that happens close to you without switching to another body with a wider lens on it?

I know various manufacturers have their slow variable aperture 18-105, 18-135, f/3.5-5.6 etc zooms, but would prefer the DoF isolation of a f/2.8 zoom.

ggibson

Sony has a 16-70mm f4 zoom for APS-C e-mount. I've heard good things about it.

Or Fuji has a 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 zoom for x-mount (also APS-C).

For m4/3, a lot of people have been wanting a rehash of the 4/3 Olympus 12-60mm f2.8-4 zoom, which is fast, covers an incredible range, and is super-sharp as well. You could get an E-M1+adapter for Auto-focus (though I don't think it compares well to native m4/3 lenses).

e_dawg

Lumix 4/3 has a very good 35-100mm f2.8; i use it on my Oly EM-1
Hi Jim,

Hmm, 35-100/2.8... nice lens. I find, however, that 35mm is just too long to get those nearby / group shots, as it translates to ~70mm (135/FF eq).

e_dawg

Sony has a 16-70mm f4 zoom for APS-C e-mount. I've heard good things about it.

Or Fuji has a 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 zoom for x-mount (also APS-C).

For m4/3, a lot of people have been wanting a rehash of the 4/3 Olympus 12-60mm f2.8-4 zoom, which is fast, covers an incredible range, and is super-sharp as well. You could get an E-M1+adapter for Auto-focus (though I don't think it compares well to native m4/3 lenses).
Aha! 16-70/4 on APS-C E-mount. Now that is pretty close to what i am looking for. Anybody know of any rumours of upcoming standard focal length f/2.8 zooms in that range for mirrorless? Are they afraid it would be too big & heavy? (although the old Tamron 28-75/2.8 on traditional dSLR systems was relatively compact and light... *goes into photo gear closet and admires my two 28-75/2.8's, one for Nikon and one for Sony dSLRs*)

D&A

It's probably not what you are looking for but when I saw y our posting, it caught my eye since few people these days are looking of a normal to telephoto zonal length zoom lens. It immediately reminds me of a lens I used often for event photography and that is a long time ago Pentax had a 45 - 125mm full frame zoom that fit the bill perfectly. It is a gem of a lens with a simply one touch zoom and focusing ring and a constant f4 aperture. I actually ended up with 2 of these lenses since it was unique when introduced. Still is in many respects.

Dave (D&A)

jlm

Workshop Member
next step down with the pana/Lumix is 12-35 f2.8 so your wants straddle the 4/3 offerings

Last edited:

e_dawg

It's probably not what you are looking for but when I saw y our posting, it caught my eye since few people these days are looking of a normal to telephoto zonal length zoom lens. It immediately reminds me of a lens I used often for event photography and that is a long time ago Pentax had a 45 - 125mm full frame zoom that fit the bill perfectly. It is a gem of a lens with a simply one touch zoom and focusing ring and a constant f4 aperture. I actually ended up with 2 of these lenses since it was unique when introduced. Still is in many respects.

Dave (D&A)
Yep, that lens sounds just right. And since that lens was unique, it also alludes to the fact not many people were looking for that focal length range back then either...