Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Normal to Portrait Zoom for E-mount

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Normal to Portrait Zoom for E-mount

    Anybody suggest a normal to telephoto zoom for E-mounts? I'm looking to build a mirrorless system and weighing options between the usual culprits (Sony, Olympus, and Fuji), and one of the requirements of the prospective system is that it has a zoom that covers the normal to portrait focal length range for event photography and family stuff. About 40-120mm or so (135/FF equivalent), f/2.8.

    TBH, i don't know E-mount too well and would appreciate some assistance here, since there seems to be a bunch of Sony experts here. Haven't been following all the developments since than the last time i had GAS several years ago and was here buying and selling to expand my A-mount inventory

    To put it in A-mount lens terms, what i would be looking for is something akin to the 28-75/2.8 on a APS-C sensor A-mount body (which would be equivalent to 42-112mm on 135/FF). Is there anything like that for E-mount? Either 135/FF A7 or APS-C A6000?

    Looking at Olympus, they don't do any overlapping focal length ranges. It's usually 24-80mm and 80-300mm (135/FF eq), but nothing that bridges the two ranges.

    Which also begs the other question of why is it so hard to find a zoom that covers this range on its native sensor format without resorting to using a FF lens on a crop sensor body? Am i the only person in the world who finds that focal length range useful? Especially for event photography where you want to get candid / portrait shots, but also need to switch to a normal focal length quickly for a group shot or stuff that happens close to you without switching to another body with a wider lens on it?

    I know various manufacturers have their slow variable aperture 18-105, 18-135, f/3.5-5.6 etc zooms, but would prefer the DoF isolation of a f/2.8 zoom.
    4/3 and m4/3 systems | Nikon and Sony APS-C and FF gear

  2. #2
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Normal to Portrait Zoom for E-mount

    Lumix 4/3 has a very good 35-100mm f2.8; i use it on my Oly EM-1

  3. #3
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Normal to Portrait Zoom for E-mount

    Sony has a 16-70mm f4 zoom for APS-C e-mount. I've heard good things about it.

    Or Fuji has a 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 zoom for x-mount (also APS-C).

    For m4/3, a lot of people have been wanting a rehash of the 4/3 Olympus 12-60mm f2.8-4 zoom, which is fast, covers an incredible range, and is super-sharp as well. You could get an E-M1+adapter for Auto-focus (though I don't think it compares well to native m4/3 lenses).

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Normal to Portrait Zoom for E-mount

    Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Lumix 4/3 has a very good 35-100mm f2.8; i use it on my Oly EM-1
    Hi Jim,

    Hmm, 35-100/2.8... nice lens. I find, however, that 35mm is just too long to get those nearby / group shots, as it translates to ~70mm (135/FF eq).
    4/3 and m4/3 systems | Nikon and Sony APS-C and FF gear

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Normal to Portrait Zoom for E-mount

    Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Sony has a 16-70mm f4 zoom for APS-C e-mount. I've heard good things about it.

    Or Fuji has a 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 zoom for x-mount (also APS-C).

    For m4/3, a lot of people have been wanting a rehash of the 4/3 Olympus 12-60mm f2.8-4 zoom, which is fast, covers an incredible range, and is super-sharp as well. You could get an E-M1+adapter for Auto-focus (though I don't think it compares well to native m4/3 lenses).
    Aha! 16-70/4 on APS-C E-mount. Now that is pretty close to what i am looking for. Anybody know of any rumours of upcoming standard focal length f/2.8 zooms in that range for mirrorless? Are they afraid it would be too big & heavy? (although the old Tamron 28-75/2.8 on traditional dSLR systems was relatively compact and light... *goes into photo gear closet and admires my two 28-75/2.8's, one for Nikon and one for Sony dSLRs*)
    4/3 and m4/3 systems | Nikon and Sony APS-C and FF gear

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Normal to Portrait Zoom for E-mount

    It's probably not what you are looking for but when I saw y our posting, it caught my eye since few people these days are looking of a normal to telephoto zonal length zoom lens. It immediately reminds me of a lens I used often for event photography and that is a long time ago Pentax had a 45 - 125mm full frame zoom that fit the bill perfectly. It is a gem of a lens with a simply one touch zoom and focusing ring and a constant f4 aperture. I actually ended up with 2 of these lenses since it was unique when introduced. Still is in many respects.

    Dave (D&A)

  7. #7
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Normal to Portrait Zoom for E-mount

    next step down with the pana/Lumix is 12-35 f2.8 so your wants straddle the 4/3 offerings
    Last edited by jlm; 20th July 2014 at 20:02.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Normal to Portrait Zoom for E-mount

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    It's probably not what you are looking for but when I saw y our posting, it caught my eye since few people these days are looking of a normal to telephoto zonal length zoom lens. It immediately reminds me of a lens I used often for event photography and that is a long time ago Pentax had a 45 - 125mm full frame zoom that fit the bill perfectly. It is a gem of a lens with a simply one touch zoom and focusing ring and a constant f4 aperture. I actually ended up with 2 of these lenses since it was unique when introduced. Still is in many respects.

    Dave (D&A)
    Yep, that lens sounds just right. And since that lens was unique, it also alludes to the fact not many people were looking for that focal length range back then either...
    4/3 and m4/3 systems | Nikon and Sony APS-C and FF gear

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •