The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A99 focus doubt

Rawfa

I was doing some tests and while shooting in auto focus mode if I click on the magnifier button it does magnify the image but it won't let me manually focus. If I click on the AF/MF it lets me manually focus but it won't let me magnify (unless I presse BOTH buttons at the same time, which is crazy). On my NEX/E-mount cameras my focus can be set to AF and at the click of a button I can magnify AND manually focus...and as soon as I let go of the button I'm back in AF. If this cannot be done on the A99 then the magnify button is useless, because nobody is going to be holding on to the AF/MF button and then looking to press the magnify button.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I don't have an A99 anymore, but I have 3 Sony cameras. I take focus off of the shutter button. I assign AF hold to the AF/MF button. I keep the camera set to Manual Focus all the time.
To focus, I hit the AF/MF button and the camera focuses. Then I hit the magnify and tweak the focus by hand. Then press shutter. If you don't take the focus off of the shutter button, the camera will try to focus again when you are ready to press the shutter.