The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A full public apology to Guy Mancuso

tashley

Subscriber Member
In a recent thread I implied that Guy is a gear slut and offered odds on when he'd buy a D810.

To the best of my knowledge he has yet to do so. I, however, made just such a purchase today.

Guy, I apologise unreservedly. I am a very naughty boy.

;-)

Tim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey Tim I'm a gear slit there is no doubts about that. Right now Sony seems to be doing it for me and will see after Photokinia what's happens. But no doubt we all know I'll flip on a dime if the grass looks greener on another system. The 810 looks good but not enough to switch back. They still need something out there on the bleeding edge and the 810 is not it although very good .

tashley

Subscriber Member
You're probably right about the 810. It was the problems I'm having with mirror slap on the A7r with the FE 70-200 that did it. I still have a lot of Nikon fit glass and I re-upped a 70-200 f4 Nikkor and a Sigma 24-105 and will maybe get the Sigma 50 Art too, If Jack likes it. We'll see. I know his thoughts aren't always gold around here but Lloyd is really raving about the D810 and I had a lot of store credit with my dealer. Slutty Tim. You know me.

ohnri

Is AF better on the 810 ?

I also have a pile of store credit that has to go to Nikon or Nikon compatible gear.

I have been holding off because I like the Sony A7 so well.

But, if the 810 really has better AF than the 800, I may make the plunge.

Tim, have you noticed any difference in accuracy or speed of AF?

Also, do you find the shutter to be quieter?

All compared to the 800, of course.

Thanks,

Bill

Jim Tardio

I think you can give that label to many folks here. It's easy to see which forum is the most popular. It's usually the one that has released the latest camera.

No offense intended :)

dwood

I have no intentions of grabbing an 810, but will be interested to hear your thoughts, Tim (and others considering a move). Thus far, I've read reports that the 810 is a 'major' improvement in all areas over the D800/e, and others that say it feels a bit better in hand, but that's about it. Even with some of the a7r's imperfections, I continue to be floored with the results I'm getting out of this tiny little wonder of a camera. Just wish Sony would step on the gas a bit on the lens front.

Godfrey

I'm moving backwards in time. All these new dangled things have gone back to the drawing board for me now ... Give me an old Leica or Polaroid, they're getting younger. :)

G

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'll try to start answering questions in the next day or two, I didn't get the chance today to do anything other than charge the battery...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm moving backwards in time. All these new dangled things have gone back to the drawing board for me now ... Give me an old Leica or Polaroid, they're getting younger. :)

G
Ditto. Loving my old gear and film & old tech digital in addition to the uber sexy MF gear I have.

Similarly, I'll wait 6-9 months or more until you're all bored and buy your cast offs and follow in your new new technology wake.

Amin

If I were shooting a D810 or 5D III today, the first three lenses I'd buy wouldn't be Nikkors or Canons. They'd be Zeiss 21mm Distagon, Sigma 35mm ART, Sigma 50mm ART.

A few years ago, who ever would have thought that 35mm and 50mm primes made by Sigma would be compelling reasons to shoot Nikon or Canon cameras?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, apologies to guy for being a gear slut (slit)?? - now that's just funny on so many levels :grin: :thumbs:

Sorry guy :)