Site Sponsors

Thread: Fast 20mm or 24mm AF lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

Fast 20mm or 24mm AF lenses?

Yesterday I was shooting my wife's family's birthday indoors with regular light and I kept having to go up to iso 2500 with the A7 + Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. I've started looking around for a wide fast AF lens and the only think that came up was the Sigmas 20mm and 24mm f1.8. Did anyone ever use either of these with the LA-EA4 or with the A99? Samples and a quick review would be great.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fast 20mm or 24mm AF lenses?

I use the Sony 24mm f2 ZA which I really like a lot. Very fast with adapter. Still in NY but be home this week to put some images up
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want to get something for my A6000 for travel so might be heading to B&H today. Thinking of the 16-70 but I also thought of getting the 24-70 again. I have dedicated only one lens right now the Zeiss 12 so the 16-70 would be a nice paring. Or the Zeiss 32 1.8
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

The 24mm f2 ZA sounds awesome but this year I've invested A LOT of money in new equipment and I just HAVE to cut some corners right now. I've actually created an excel sheet with the ROI and at the moment there is a LOT of "I" and not a lot "R". My goal is to REALLY start working solid as a second photographer in October and then reward my self with better equipment as I go along.

BTW, I'm a project manager and photography is an expensive hobby that I'm looking to turn into a business (at least part time), so even though I can afford the gear I need to justify the investment to my self so I won't go crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ROI is very important and one reason besides others was to sell my Phase gear, it was just not justifying its place in my arsenal. Im a business first and sometimes my wishes are not good business decisions so you have to make unwanted calls on gear.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Iīve seen some samples of the A99 with the 20mm 1.8. Wide open it has some vignetting and itīs far from having that clinical corner to corner sharpness, but itīs not as bad as I would expect taking in consideration I would only use this lens for low light stuff like concerts and dance dark dance flor wedding fun....