Site Sponsors

Thread: 50mm 1.4 ZA Rendering

Post Thanks / Like

50mm 1.4 ZA Rendering

On another site I have been having a heated debate regarding how soft the new Nikon 58 is wide open. I have pretty much been crucified for even suggesting it. Regardless, the consensus is that the lens is meant to deliver beautiful bokeh and not be sharp wide open.

Having said that, why not have both sharp and beautiful bokeh for $1700.00? The following were done with the 50mm 1.4 ZA shot wide open. I personally think the bokeh is just as nice if not more pleasing than that of the Nikon. What are your thoughts? This is totally subjective but would like to know what you think. As far as sharpness goes, there is no arguing the Zeiss eats the Nikon wide open.

For much larger images look at these

http://www.sonyalphaimages.com/galle...0250.SEQ.3.jpg
    http://www.sonyalphaimages.com/galle...0245.SEQ.1.jpg
    http://www.sonyalphaimages.com/galle...0243.SEQ.0.jpg

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 50mm 1.4 ZA Rendering

I'm looking for a 50 A mount myself and it's either this or the Sigma 50 Art. I want a A mount since it will work on all 3 bodies. This lens looks real nice to me, just wish it was around 1200.00

But I do like the bokeh on it and the look of it. As far as Nikon glass I have zero interest anymore since its a kludge fudge on my Sony. So the debate you have going is kind of worthless and the Nikon 58 is a odd lens from all reports and images I have seen. It can be really nice if you hit it in its on wheel house. I would buy the Sigma myself if I was shooting Nikon. But some folks like the 58mm. I just think overall they have others that are very good as well.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now that would be a good shootout, Guy, for DSLRs, you might get a deal on it. I've been very impressed with the ZA 50/1.4 images - great presence and fine bokeh - and of course the Sigma is a fine yardstick.

rvc, the ZA 50/1.4 is a Sony lens, not a Zeiss lens. The exact relationship between the two long term partners is shrouded in uncertainty, but there is a good video of a presentation in which Sony clearly indicate it is their design and their development of the lens. Here it is, it is quite long (35 minutes) but very informative for lens geeks, and highly recommended for anyone wanting to know about MTF and its crucial role in lens design:

Sony Master Lens Designer Speech - YouTube!

'Please use this lens at open aperture' - and for final MTF see from 15 minute mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Philip,

I saw the video and am waiting for a final response from Zeiss regarding my inquiry about who produced this great lens. Their initial response indicates Sony and Zeiss need to agree on an answer before letting me know. Regardless, have a look at my review of the 50 here The Overlooked 50 – JorgeTorralba