The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with A7S

I agree Guy, thanks. Ario, what lenses did you shoot those images with?
Both images were shot with FE 35/2.8 at 32000 and 40000 ISO respectively. Both were developed in LR, the first one without luminance noise reduction, the second one with 50 luminance noise reduction.

Steve P.

Both images were shot with FE 35/2.8 at 32000 and 40000 ISO respectively. Both were developed in LR, the first one without luminance noise reduction, the second one with 50 luminance noise reduction.
That performance is so good it's ridiculous. If anything, the noise/grain in Ario's black and white treatment serves to improve the atmosphere of the images.
Time to sell a kidney!:D

G43

Hi - I'm having an internal debate about the differing attractions of a7r/a7s, and I may just be favouring fat pixels. I'm curious; [for the type of images you've been posting], what size do you think a7s files will print well?

…………… Chris
Chris.. to my experience 10" x 13" will look good.

EDITION: I meant actually 13 x 18.

G43

Those pictures I posted are mainly shot with the 55mm.
All shooting details are to find on my flickr link.

However I promise to state the details in the future. I can certainly confirm that you get pleasant results at ISO 40000 converting to B&W whereas I would say ISO 12800 is the limit for color. But each to their own.

I've just ordered a Metabones Canon EF Lens to E-mount adapter. It is a shame I have a brand new Zeiss Distagon f2.8 laying around without a happy camera to mount it on LOL.

mmbma

iso 5000. 3 shot stitch. I over pushed the black hull. I thought I was shooting in raw but these were actually jpegs

mmbma

ISO 64,000. yeah, that's right, 64k. no noise reduction jpeg (but I think some NR cannot be turned off in jpeg). very dim lit bar shot with a 12mm 5.6 lens at f5.6

G43

Yes yes... :)
Wonderful. The camera opens up to new adventures not possible before because of lack of light. We talk perhaps 1,5 - 2 lesser noise floor than the main crowd of FF cameras (Not all perhaps?).
Another convenient ISO setting is ISO 50 and up. Comes as a comprehensive ND filter.

G43

Chris.. to my experience 10" x 13" will look good.

EDITION: I meant actually 13 x 18.
I made a small series of A3 sized prints from the A7S tiff files, upsampled, 300 dpi. Epson 4900.

From a typical watching distance 1 -2 meters, 3 - 6 feet, the prints looks gorgeous. There IS a MF look to those prints.

ZoranC

I made a small series of A3 sized prints from the A7S tiff files, upsampled, 300 dpi. Epson 4900.
It's my understanding prints will look best when upsampled to printer's native resolution, which would be 360dpi for Epson 4900, so you might want to give that a try.

In any case, from dealing with my D700 files I would be very comfortable doing 11x17" prints from A7S.

G43

Zoran, I did.. it was a typo slipping through my lousy editing.

11 x 17 is safe for high ISO.

ZoranC

Zoran, I did.. it was a typo slipping through my lousy editing.

11 x 17 is safe for high ISO.
Cool :) Please keep on sharing your experiences with us. I don't have an A7S, I use A7R, but I am having an interest in S.

G43

BTW, D700 is IMO one of the coolest fat pixel cameras. A legend perhaps.

It is strange? I can't go back to my EM1, but maybe it's just a luscious love affair I have with the 7S?

ZoranC

BTW, D700 is IMO one of the coolest fat pixel cameras. A legend perhaps.

It is strange? I can't go back to my EM1, but maybe it's just a luscious love affair I have with the 7S?
Files from my EM5 were very often not to my liking. There was nothing technically wrong with them per se, they just were not to my liking. I know many people were/are happy with them but I was not. On the other hand I loved files from A7R moment I took very first one (now if only Sony would offer losless RAW ...), and from what I am seeing so far I would feel same about ones from A7S. Who knows why, is it what some describe as "fat pixel look" or something else, all I know is that I like it and that I always got it when I used full frame cameras.

G43

I suppose the A7R is superior in the mid and high tones rendering whereas the A7S is superior in the darker tones maintaining a higher contrast, at least for higher ISO.