Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with A7S

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Stunning work! The last is incredible!
    Thank you Ashwin!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Ashwin

I also found skin tones rendered at tad to the orange side and made some red and yellow adjustments in PS color mixer. That goes for green grass as well that turns out a tad too 'golden'.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    Glad it worked out. Also another suggestion is to print using Lightroom, I get the best using this workflow.
    I updated my Adobe DNG converter. Seems I had downloaded a too old version. I apologize having made so much noise about this.
    I see no difference between ACR and Lightroom, which should also be the case. Same RAW developer engine.
    I am looking at the first couple of prints now. The colors are better and more to my taste

Post Thanks / Like

Bay area sunset: 90 Elmar-C f/4 and A7S

I am pretty crazy about this shot Ashwin. Beside an almost 'painterish' look where the scene just oozes moody finesse, it also demonstrates the awesome DR the 7S poses.
    Perfect shot and perfect rendering for this scene.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ashwin,

this is pretty amazing! I like what I see and I am getting really interested in the A7s.

Might it be possible for you to write up some mini review? What would most of us interest I guess is:

1) AF performance - single, continuous - compared to A7
    2) what about using FE glass
    3) how does it work with Leica M glass - wide, normal, tele
    4) Your findings WRT IQ at different ISO, how high is it ok to go
    5) What about video

Would be very much appreciated, many thanks in advance

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Hi Ashwin,

this is pretty amazing! I like what I see and I am getting really interested in the A7s.

Might it be possible for you to write up some mini review? What would most of us interest I guess is:

1) AF performance - single, continuous - compared to A7
    2) what about using FE glass
    3) how does it work with Leica M glass - wide, normal, tele
    4) Your findings WRT IQ at different ISO, how high is it ok to go
    5) What about video

Would be very much appreciated, many thanks in advance

Peter
    Peter, if you take a look at stevehuffphoto.com you'll find an excellent article by Ashwin on the A7s with M lenses. Well worth a read.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
    Peter, if you take a look at stevehuffphoto.com you'll find an excellent article by Ashwin on the A7s with M lenses. Well worth a read.
    Many thanks indeed, was not aware of that!

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

I have felt this moment coming. I'll have to let the 7S leave the door again.
    It is really a great camera in many ways, but somewhat it turned out to be less universal for me than I first thought. So better to let it go while it's still very new.
    Should anyone here be interested leave a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Many thanks indeed, was not aware of that!

Peter
    I swapped my A7r for a A7s after having read Ashwin`s article on Steve`s blog. It`s the best non Leica FF digital solution for m-mounts yet.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for your kind words, Gerner, Peter, Retow, and Steve. The article which I wrote is here

I have immensely enjoyed the A7s. As Retow mentioned, it's the best non Leica FF digital solution for M mounts to date, though there are compromises (for some). In general, I find that the camera
    1. Does well with Leica M lenses. Only the 28 cron asph has performed "poorly" on the camera, and even it is usable for non-critical work where sharpness at the edges may not be as important. Everything else that I have thrown at it works well or is easily fixed in post processing using the lens vignetting correction tool in LR5.

2. Colors are solid; different palette than Leica's M9 and M240 (I prefer the look from the M9, personally, but it's a matter of taste). I find that it's quite easy to get the look that you want from A7s files with a bit of post processing

3. Dynamic range: To me, solid, better than my M bodies, but maybe not quite as good as the A7R or A7 in recovering shadows and highlights...

4. Silent shutter. Absolutely awesome feature. I use it for nearly all of my shooting, as it eliminates any shutter shake effect (the size and design of the bodies does not allow the present A7 bodies to be very well dampened to vibraation), and the silence makes photographed subjects not know when you are shooting, which can be helpful on the street. The silent shutter does not work well in low light scenes where fluorescent lights are at play, due to interference/banding effects due to the frequency of light interacting with the frequency of th eelectronic shutter.

5. ISO: yup, it's great. I have had no issues shooting through ISO 12,800 (though some detail and DR is lost at that ISO), and I have gotten usable shots through ISO 40,000+. I consider the A7s to be an "ISO-less" camera, in that I don't consider ISO to be a limiting factor any more for my style of shooting.
    6. Using the Voigtlander VM-E mount adapter with close focus opens up now possibilities with close focus and macro work with the M...this is MARVELOUS, for those of you who like to do macro. I am re-discovering macro in this manner.

6. AF: Much better in low light, but not really revelatory. I have the 55 FE lens, which I enjoy, but don't use much ,as I can manually focus faster in low light (or really in all light). The 35 FE is supposedly a lot better, but I don't own it at this time.

All in all, I have found the A7s to be a revelatory camera. The combination of camera design (flip up LCD, EVF, M mount capacity, silent shutter, ISO performance, close focus with VM-E adapter) allows me to be creative and to shoot discretely in ways that were not possible before. Is it perfect? By no means...here are some things that could get better.
    1. EVF: Solid, but there's room for improvement, particularly when using focus magnification and focus peaking in concert. Now that Zeiss is producing Manual Focus E mount lenses, I am hoping that Sony encorporates more design elements into future E mount bodies to maximize the utility of manual focus lenses

2. Megapixels. For me, the 18 megapixel range (m9, M monochrom) is a sweet spot, balancing quality of pixels and size of files. I would hope that future A8s or whatever they are called will increase MP counts without affecting ISO performance or M Mount lens utilization

3. M mount lenses. As mentioned, they work great on this body...really! but put the 28 cron on the body, and you'll see there's room for improvement. Hopefully Sony will recognize that these bodies could really stand to use smaller lenses, in which optical elements lie closer to the sensor, and design sensors that accomodate smaller lens design (i.e. rangefinder/retrofocus lenses)

4.Camera haptics. Sony cameras don't quite have the joy of handling as do other manufacturers (i.e. Fuji, Leica), and simple tweaks to camera button layout, grip, viewfinder placement, and menu structure could go a long way to making the cameras joyful to use for more people. I have many friends who love the quality of Sony files, but don't really like how the cameras operate. Sony may need to hire some Fuji thinkers to make things right, IMO

Okay, hopefully that "mini" review of my present thoughts helps some who are considering taking the plunge. My guess is that Sony doesn't have any major body announcements coming for photokina, but who knows. Even if they do, I have zero desire to upgrade or change, because the A7s is an outstanding photographic tool as is.
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin,

MANY THANKS, INDEED! Very helpful!

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin,

Great review! Thanks for being a great resource for this online community!

Josh

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin.. love the post too on The Sony A7s Experience: Ongoing thoughts on a Fascinating Camera By Ashwin Rao | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS where I saw the images here on this site in a larger version. Cool.
    The cityscape shot is stunning.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the twilight zone letting the A7s go or keep it because there are things that this camera does particular well: Fine art B&W. Despite its 12 MP resolving power, it produces extremely clean files and on some motives resolution does not count at the end of the day.
    This image where shot at ISO 1600 which would show beginning noise on many high pixel count sensors. This quality alone is unique, but if it's worth 3000 Euro with a couple of lenses is...hmm?
    Keep in mind this image only hold pixel information of 280 KB.

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G43 View Post
    I am in the twilight zone letting the A7s go or keep it because there are things that this camera does particular well: Fine art B&W. Despite its 12 MP resolving power, it produces extremely clean files and on some motives resolution does not count at the end of the day.
    This image where shot at ISO 1600 which would show beginning noise on many high pixel count sensors. This quality alone is unique, but if it's worth 3000 Euro with a couple of lenses is...hmm?
    Keep in mind this image only hold pixel information of 280 KB.
    I think only you can make the decision if it is worth to you or not.

For me it was a no-brainer, it replaced the Leica M240. In my personal opinion the A7s is a superior camera at different levels to M240. Now it compliments the Leica M-E that I also purchased after selling the M240. I also have a full range of Leica M lenses which work beautifully with the A7s producing images that are Medium format quality at low ISOs and superb even in high ISOs. Tbh, I would not have purchased it, if I did not have the Leica lenses. Anyway you can wait till next week and see what lenses are being announced at Photokina and then make a decision.

Josh
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by G43 View Post
    I am in the twilight zone letting the A7s go or keep it
    ...keep it

thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Josh

At least I have decided to park the selling mood for a while.
    Buying new gear and selling used shouldn't be a non-trivial impulsive act.
    I guess everybody have experienced moments where you felt *No, this is not gonna work for me* even you worked a lot to make it happen. In my case I only got frustrated I was unable to replicate the X100 color palette. A perhaps very stupid and only criteria to engage in purchasing a brand new system and just because the cameras have something in common. 12 MP easy handling files. Silent mode. Good ISO performance, stealthy size and things like that.
    I was overwhelmed when I saw the clean files the 7s crafted and thought.. cool.. I'll then handle the punchy colors in post and tweak them to show the X100 look. Mission completed. And it was the latter that caused me the pain. I couldn't. It's an in camera hardware/firmware thing.
    I have been a bit naive in this respect. I think I should have known.

On the other hand I came to like the 7s a lot for what it is. It really has it strengths and us who tried it we know what they are .
    But frankly in this way the camera more became a symbol of gear collection luxury, a syndrome I have tried to avoid. Any attempt to pack it back to the boxes and write a sales add failed so far. It could be a sign that I am allowing my self the the luxury to keep it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    ...keep it

thorkil
    Yes Thorkil... as some says *if you can't get what you love, then love what you get*
    At least the camera stays for a while until it is pretty clear to me if I really need it.
    Such things normally shows when you leave the door and seeing which camera you grabbed and it could easily show that it's the 7s when we have critical low light and no tripod in the pocket

Post Thanks / Like

This is definitely not what I would get using a 90 Elmar-C with the an A7. The lens performed so poorly I sold it and got an Elmarit 90/2.8 which works well. Must be something about the A7s sensor because this is superb.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

And a load more. Lovely performance at most...

https://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/?added=6

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7s and Summilux 28 mm f/1.4 asph

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great set Ashwin. Even though the 28/1.4 is jut to expensive for my pocket at the moment I would be interested to know how it performs in the corners? Is it a load better the the summicron 28 asph? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    FE 24-70 Iso 10000
    Nice Shot Ario! I take lots of shots of my active 4 yr old grand daughter with my A7R. She is so active I miss many shots with manual focus, slight OOF on the eyes and with AF locking on is hit or miss. Are you using AF or MF.

All the best!
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quick tip for those who shoot at very high ISO (> 12,800) on the A7s and process in Lightroom or Photoshop. The default color noise reduction slider value is 25, which is far too much on the A7s. That value causes significant desaturation of colors, making them look washed out. I'm usually between 8-14; I use the lowest value that gets rid of the color noise speckles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ferrellmc View Post
    Nice Shot Ario! I take lots of shots of my active 4 yr old grand daughter with my A7R. She is so active I miss many shots with manual focus, slight OOF on the eyes and with AF locking on is hit or miss. Are you using AF or MF.

All the best!
    Thank you, I have used AF on this occasion as I always try to do with AF lenses; with the A7r and A7 (which I also own) it is not as easy as with the A7s to AF fast moving kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This one was only at 12,800 ISO with the FE 35/2.8

No noise reduction. Several other in the series were as high as 32,000 ISO and looked similar.

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have experience with long exposures at night - but not high ISO? I'm wondering if this camera would be as good as a P45+ in this instance? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple form the 'Renovation Project'

A7s and 24-70 together just rock and since I usually hate zooms for me that is saying something

Attachment 82967

Attachment 82968

By the way how do I get the site to show the larger images without having to click on the smaller ones? Thanks

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

re: Viramati's making big ones out of little ones...what's wrong with doing that? You get nice large pics with a click, and they're just as big as the Hanseatic League member's pics.
    Small pics get noticed if they are good, and your two portraits are quite good in my opinion...there are lots of lousy/mediocre big pics on these pages...it ain't the size that matters, it's the quality of the image.

Roy Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Roy, after that last comment, I am glad I don't have an a7/r/s.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are couple more from the 'renovation project'
    1st and 2nd are with the 24-70 and the 3rd with the leica WATE
    I suppose I am primarily a documentary photographer and this is where I find the A7s shines. I have been a leica user for many years but am finding the Sony A7 system to be very good for what I do. The WATE I wouldn't normally use on anything other than the M(240) but I thought I would give it a go on the A7s and seems to perform pretty well.

Attachment 82970

Attachment 82971

Attachment 82969

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    A couple form the 'Renovation Project'

A7s and 24-70 together just rock and since I usually hate zooms for me that is saying something

Attachment 82967

Attachment 82968

By the way how do I get the site to show the larger images without having to click on the smaller ones? Thanks
    Massively impressed with the quality of these, especially the out of focus area.

Counter intuitive that the 24-70 and the A7s would be so good together.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Massively impressed with the quality of these, especially the out of focus area.

Counter intuitive that the 24-70 and the A7s would be so good together.

LouisB
    Hi Louis
    I'm interested to know why you would say that?
    Interestingly I am finding the the A7s have a fantastic greyscale tonality when converted in Silverefexpro, something I don't really see to quite the same degree with the A7 and M(240). Exactly why this is the case I don't know but it is a pleasant surprise

Post Thanks / Like

Hi David,
    I am finding the same with the A7s and using the 50 Cron DR, 50 Lux Asph, 75 Lux and 90 Cron AA. It is great, as I was not expecting this at all
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Old

Bought a 28mm Minolta M-rokkor for use doing street work as after much research it appears to be one of the best performing RF lenses on the A7 series

Attachment 82991
    Last edited by Viramati; 11th September 2014 at 10:56.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Bowie

The Sunny South, Brixton where I have lived on and off for over 35 years and now a place for tourists. No wonder Bowie looks so suprised
    Attachment 82992

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Louis
    I'm interested to know why you would say that?
    Interestingly I am finding the the A7s have a fantastic greyscale tonality when converted in Silverefexpro, something I don't really see to quite the same degree with the A7 and M(240). Exactly why this is the case I don't know but it is a pleasant surprise
    I was going to comment on that as well. The tones look fantastic on the screen.

I think what I meant by my original comment is that most people seem to be overlooking Sony/Zeiss glass with the A7s but you are obviously getting good use from the 24-70.

Nice captures!

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

I judge digital black and white performance by the whites, light grays, and transitions between them. Those look really good.

John

Here are couple more from the 'renovation project'
    1st and 2nd are with the 24-70 and the 3rd with the leica WATE
    I suppose I am primarily a documentary photographer and this is where I find the A7s shines. I have been a leica user for many years but am finding the Sony A7 system to be very good for what I do. The WATE I wouldn't normally use on anything other than the M(240) but I thought I would give it a go on the A7s and seems to perform pretty well.

Attachment 82970

Attachment 82971

Attachment 82969

Post Thanks / Like

I agree

I love the ultra-smooth transitions between the whole tonal scale. I can't help start thinking zone system while exposing.

Post Thanks / Like

The black and white tonality is absolutely gorgeous. I noticed a very curious thing. The Leica monochrome shines with older lenses that have low contrast but actually is pedestrian(it really is, dont jump on me Leica fan) with the newer asph lenses. But the A7s is spectacular with the newer asph lenses while still very good with old low contrast lenses. Love the B&W images from A7s. It has replaced all my Leica cameras except the M-E which I still love for its CCD sensor and colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poor Bowie

Bought a 28mm Minolta M-rokkor for use doing street work as after much research it appears to be one of the best performing RF lenses on the A7 series

Attachment 82991
    David

Did you buy the camera purely for still photography or for the video capability as well?

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Louis
    Only for still photography as I have never really shot video and I don't I think it is an area I'm interested in getting into. Strange really as I used to work as a set/stills photographer in film industry in Italy.
    Last edited by Viramati; 12th September 2014 at 13:53.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Post the images on another site, then link to them.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I want this camera! Give it to me!
    www.rafael-lopes.com

Post Thanks / Like

...By the way how do I get the site to show the larger images without having to click on the smaller ones? Thanks
    Davvid, I use Zenfolio also. I have a gallery that is specifically for hosting photos to publish to forums. Make the gallery private but each image public, then copy the link for the size you want and place it in your post using the image icon.

Obviously, this assumes the pictures are not published to your public site, in which case you would do the same from the public folder.

John
    web site | tumblr