Images

Re: Fun with A7S

Trying out my new a7s with a nikon 50 1.8
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poor Bowie

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    David

Did you buy the camera purely for still photography or for the video capability as well?

LouisB
    I only ask because the camera appeals to me as a stills camera and I just wondered if that would be pointless if your main interest is stills.

Like you, I have no interest in movies.

Been contemplating investing in a RX1R but now I wonder whether I'd get more use from a A7s. I've found my C-40 Cron (like your recent purchase of the Minolta 28mm) works brilliantly on the A7, btw.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Well I suppose if you want something pocketable the RX1r is the way to go but your limited to the 35mm lens and the EVF is an add-on and expensive. If your not worried about the 12mp file size and seeing that the camera body in itself is small and light and the fact that it costs about the same as the XX1r I would personally go for the A7s. In fact the A7s and the FE35/2.8 is a small and light weight package with the advantage of the high iso, better auto-focus and built in EVF. Personally I seldom print larger than A3+ so 12mp are Ok for me. I sold some gear (2nd A7, Fuji X20 and fuji X100s) when I got the A7s and also bought the RX100 III as a small pocketable camera and while not FF it is a little gem of a camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FE 55mm/1.8 edited in VSCO for color and grain.

Every lens I put on the A7s seems to sing.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One more. Was having lunch with Monza, trying out his Zeiss Contax G Biogon 28/2.8 on the A7s. I had previously tested this lens on the A7 and found it lacking but it is a keeper on the s. The only deficiency I could find was a very slight blue cast in the corners that is only really visible against white.

You can't tell in this shot but the corners appear to be sharp stopped down to f/5.6 or so.

What really sold me on the lens was the rendering. Even here, in this banal shot, the way the lens transitions from razor sharp on the subject to OOF distance is just perfect to my eyes. Definitely has that Zeiss signature.

I liked it so much I orchestrated a trade for the lens (and a G1 body) later that day.

shot @ f/2.8

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

ISO 12,800, no additional noise reduction or adjustment from a RAW file.

Voightlander 35mm F1.4 SC at F2.8 (great lens on this camera!)

Michael
    Michael Rivers
    Leica Q, SL

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried a 1970's 35mm lux on the A7s? I tried mine at a Sony shop but was not happy with the focus. It might have been my fault as I was shooting at 1.4. Thanks. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Despite my hectic schedule, I took a day off to catch the sunrise at the Magdalena Ridge and later got to the annual Pie Festival.

I took a few students on the trip. We were surprised by the temperature inversion.

A7s+ Contax 55/1.2

The Dawn Chasers

A7s+ ZM 15

Dawn at the Magdalena Ridge

Later on, we arrived just on time for the Pie Eating Contest.

A7s+ZM 15

First Dip

To the Limit

The Victor!
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here are few

Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZA

Summicron 75

Otus 85

JT --

CameraPeddler

My Gallery
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lone Star Le Mans - Austin, TX

A7s with the 55 FE, 20mm/2.8 Minolta AF, 200mm/2.8 Minolta AF HS APO.

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    WHOA! LOVE the look of this one, as if I am looking at glossy page of one of finest auto magazines! And those whites, blacks, and reds in it, they are so rich! Could you please share with us how you took (did you use any filters?) it and how you processed it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks.

I'd like to take the credit but Porsche and the Texas weather really did most of the work - and the little Minolta 20mm.

That white platform and white car equalized well with the brightness in the clouds. I dialed in +3/4 exp comp but ended pulling back exposure some in LR, adding contrast and a little black clipping as well as pushed shadows a bit.

There is also a LR profile for the Minolta which helps clean up the slight mustache distortion of the lens and lights up some vignetting.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    WHOA! LOVE the look of this one, as if I am looking at glossy page of one of finest auto magazines! And those whites, blacks, and reds in it, they are so rich! Could you please share with us how you took (did you use any filters?) it and how you processed it?

Post Thanks / Like

JT --

CameraPeddler

My Gallery
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I blame DocMoore

Not Another New Camera?
    Matty with the A7s and the 55 f1.8

Just this guy you know
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I knew it was only a matter of time.
    I am counting the days myself trying to refrain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, I blame DocMoore

Not Another New Camera?
    Matty with the A7s and the 55 f1.8[/CENTER][/SIZE]
    Hello Jono:
    As someone who has also shot the A7 and A7R (but with a definitely different primary camera system position) I am very interested in your impressions of the A7S. I shot with the A7S back in July for a few days and was pleasantly surprised at how it handled normal daylight shooting. Many people are hesitant about a 12 mpixel sensor thinking it will restrict larger prints and cropping but looking at my files from that shoot it didn't seem too restrictive (granted I wasn't trying for anything bigger than 11" X 17" in that case). Also I want to see what others think of low light usage. I found that the 6400 ISO performance wasn't enormously better than the A7R noise level. It's when you go above that ISO setting that noise performance becomes noticeable. But what I didn't determine well enough was how much the low light focus of the A7S exceeds the A7R. Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

ZM15 WO

Under the Sky
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Denis and Stef get married (I was just a guest and in no official role)
    all with the 24-70 at f4

Attachment 83383

Attachment 83384

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    But what I didn't determine well enough was how much the low light focus of the A7S exceeds the A7R. Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Regards,
    John
    I don't have the A7r but do have both the 7 and the 7s and can tell you that the low light AF capability of the 7s is astounding.

While the 55/1.8 will badly hunt in low light on the 7, the 7s will zero in with deadly accuracy and no fuss.

Game changer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    I don't have the A7r but do have both the 7 and the 7s and can tell you that the low light AF capability of the 7s is astounding.

While the 55/1.8 will badly hunt in low light on the 7, the 7s will zero in with deadly accuracy and no fuss.

Game changer.
    Thanks very much for the feedback. It's always highly useful.

I waited for Photokina to end just in case a new A7 camera arrival might knock down the price of the A7S and save me some money. As much as I love to get as much info as I can on new models before buying, it's never a complete picture because I can never wait long enough. Waiting from July to October is almost a personal best for me!

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

David Sampson Photography | Stef & Denis
    password is 'fournier'
    all shot on A7s with 24-70 and one with the 55/1.8. A full range of iso values from base up-to 10,000.
    B&W conversions in Silverefex Pro

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll come back with more thoughts later, I'm a bit cautious about my current feelings - I don't want to get carried away!

Anyway, here are a couple of shots I liked from yesterday:

Both shots with the 55 f1.8

Just this guy you know
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    I knew it was only a matter of time.
    I am counting the days myself trying to refrain.
    +1
    Please continue to Report back about the A7s and how it works with Leica glass.
    I would also be interested how much you feel it extends the high ISO Quality over the Leica M Body/sensor. (how many f-stops, and from which ISO on would the A7s move ahead of the Leica M.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I blame DocMoore

Not Another New Camera?
    Matty with the A7s and the 55 f1.8

I knew it!!!

Congratulations. And what lenses did you get?

Take care.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    I knew it!!!

Congratulations. And what lenses did you get?

Take care.
    Hi There Ray
    It was all Bob Moore's fault (docmoore) - his comments on your thread pushed me over the edge.

I already had the 55 f1.8 FE and the 24-70 f4 FE from the days of the A7 and the A7r - I was pretty sure that there would be the right body sooner or later. So - no new lenses, but I can see the attraction of the 70-200 (which clearly isn't great on the A7r). Just for now I'll keep with what I've got.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    +1
    I would also be interested how much you feel it extends the high ISO Quality over the Leica M Body/sensor. (how many f-stops, and from which ISO on would the A7s move ahead of the Leica M.)
    Having the M, A7 and A7s I would say that both the A7 and A7s move ahead of the M by at least iso 1600 and that the A7s move ahead of the A7 at around iso3200-6400. The main differences for me really shows in the DR at higher iso with the A7s when compared especially to the leica M where banding and colour cast start to show up when you try to pull details out of the shadows at anything above 1600. In reality there is absolutely no comparison that can be made between the leica and either of the Sonys at higher iso with the A7s just sprinting away like Hussein Bolt. How many usable extra stops you get really depends on what you photograph and how you process and print but I have images I would be happy to print at iso 25600 which is a 4 stop difference and even 51200 can be usable.
    I find The A7s works well with the 135/3.4 apo-telyt, Elmarit-M 90, lux 50 asph and WATE. Doesn't work well with the Summicron 28 asph

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    +1
    HI There Tom
    I'm not sure that it's going to be any kind of M replacement - I've never really found the high ISO a constraint, mainly because one uses fast glass. But I will certainly try - to be honest I'm more interested in the look (if it's different).

What is fascinating is that I had these two lenses (the 55 f1.8 and the 24-70 FE) when I was playing with the A7 and the A7r - the 55 was plenty sharp, but the zoom was disappointing, and neither of them seemed to have any obvious character . . . . . but on the A7s they seem to sparkle and shine (go figure).

Look at this for instance - it was taken in rather boring overcast light - f8 ISO 100 with the zoom at 70mm. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just feel that it has a real presence and pop about it . . . what do you think.

Caspar searches for rabbits

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes!
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just feel that it has a real presence and pop about it . . . what do you think.
    It has pop. Maybe it's the larger photosites. It seems counter-intuitive that just by looking at the macro-level result (the whole photo) we should be able to tell the difference between a sensor whose photosites are X microns wide and one thats photosites are Y microns wide but it seems to be the case. Or maybe Sony has baked in some firmware magic. Interesting.

Regards,
    John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Holkham sands
    24-70 f4 Sony Zeiss FE 32mm f8

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    It has pop. Maybe it's the larger photosites. It seems counter-intuitive that just by looking at the macro-level result (the whole photo) we should be able to tell the difference between a sensor whose photosites are X microns wide and one thats photosites are Y microns wide but it seems to be the case. Or maybe Sony has baked in some firmware magic. Interesting.

Regards,
    John
    HI John
    I don't think it's likely to be any intentional magic . . I have to say it reminds me slightly of the files from the A900 (lovely camera).

It's strange what one can (and can't) see in photos which have been smashed for the web.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Jono on the A7s and the 24-70, for some reason this combo really works and with it's high iso capabilities and OSS f4 doesn't really seem to be so limiting.

iso12800
    Attachment 83425

iso8000
    Attachment 83426
    Last edited by Viramati; 29th September 2014 at 12:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I first purchased the 55mm I was not immediately bowled over by its character and that sentiment has been repeated ad nauseam around the web.

But many months and images later, I can always identify one of my (and others') 55mm shots. I think it has a wonderful character - part modern for sure but with an equal part of classic Zeiss thrown in there.

And agreed Jono, that it does seem to have something a little extra on the 7s - but I think that appears to be the case for most lenses situated in front of that juicy 12mp sensor. I'm currently in love with the Minolta AF 20mm/2.8 and will be curious to compare its excellent performance on the 7s to the 16-35.

Best,
    Chad

What is fascinating is that I had these two lenses (the 55 f1.8 and the 24-70 FE) when I was playing with the A7 and the A7r - the 55 was plenty sharp, but the zoom was disappointing, and neither of them seemed to have any obvious character . . . . . but on the A7s they seem to sparkle and shine (go figure).

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great photos, Jono. They confirm what I have suspected for a while: This is a camera I should buy and that probably suits my way of living with a camera perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work Jono! There is a definite magic about the files from the A7s. Only 12 MP, but they seem very different. My wife and Marisa, spent a few weeks in Spain visiting her father, and this is the first time I did not take a M9/M240. This time I packed the A7r/A7s with the WATE, 35 Lux FLE, 50 Nocti f/1.0, 50 Lux Asph, FE 35 and 55, 50 Cron Rigid DR and 75 Lux. Marisa loves the AF with the A7s and the fact that is completely silent. I did not miss the M240 which did surprise me!

Ashwin, and everyone amazing shots in this thread!!

A7s and 50 Cron Rigid DR

A7s and 50 Noct f/1.0

A7s FE 55

Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

HI There Tom
    I'm not sure that it's going to be any kind of M replacement - I've never really found the high ISO a constraint, mainly because one uses fast glass. But I will certainly try - to be honest I'm more interested in the look (if it's different).

Look at this for instance - it was taken in rather boring overcast light - f8 ISO 100 with the zoom at 70mm. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just feel that it has a real presence and pop about it . . . what do you think.
    Wonderfull Image,
    I was allways quite happy with the D700 IQ compared to the D3x I had before. I never understood why but low Pixel density seems to help some lenses to shine.
    Same for Images I see from the Nikon DF.

After getting into the T-System (and liking it quite a bit...I know I am in the minority in this regard on getdpi) and not really missing higher ISO than 1600/3200 often (which works ok with the M) I Need to resist to start another Experiment...even though I admit the A7s sounds really very temting I try to resist for now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Some excellent images being posted.

Jono, since you might have the corn 75 apo, could you post some pics with it on the A7s, please.

Best.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI There Ray
    I'll see what I can do - It'll be later in today . . . in the meantime:

Here are two shots with the 135 APO Telyt at f3.4

Butternut Squash

Dignity

Just this guy you know
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is one with the Leica 60mm macro elmarit at f2.8

Morning Dew

Just this guy you know
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Some excellent images being posted.

Jono, since you might have the corn 75 apo, could you post some pics with it on the A7s, please.

Best.
    Hi Ray
    here are two - both with the Macro Adapter M and the 75 APO Summicronl.

I'll try and do some more relevant shots later on.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Holy-Moly Jono , what ISO was that shot at?

This seems to be the "Fat Pixel" camera that defies the meg race mentality.

Good works!

- Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Holy-Moly Jono , what ISO was that shot at?

This seems to be the "Fat Pixel" camera that defies the meg race mentality.

Good works!

- Marc
    HI Marc
    I was just thinking about you, and wondered whether you'd tried it yet.

I bought it rather on a whim after reading various people saying how nice the files were (Bob Moore, Michael Reichmann and others). I have to say, they are gorgeous, and the silent shutter and high ISO don't exactly spoil the party!

I'm going to try some 25" prints this afternoon (but I don't doubt they'll be lovely)

You should borrow one for a day or so!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful set again Jono!! I somehow see a similarity with your dog, and the texture of the blossom of the macro shot.

Some more images from Pontevedra, Spain

A7s and 50 Cron DR

Evening cutting and enjoying jamon!

35 Lux FLE Sunrise

50 Lux Asph

Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely Charles - especially the sardines (I'm always partial to a pair of shorts though )

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are a couple with the Leica R 80-200 F4 zoom

Martin the Cockerel

One of Martin's many wives

Just this guy you know
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple with the Leica R 80-200 F4 zoom
    Martin the Cockerel
    One of Martin's many wives
    My hat's off to Martin. It's as much as I can do to keep from being hen-pecked by one wife (Honey, I kid, I kid)!

Jono:

It's hard to know where camera, lens and photographer get credit with your excellent photos (probably some of each). I'll be interested in your printing experiment. My A7S will be arriving at my home momentarily. However since I'm at work I won't be able to play with until after dark. Kudos to you and all these other fine photographers for providing information (and inspiration) to the rest of us interested in this new camera.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

........I'm going to try some 25" prints this afternoon!................
    Jono - I for one have been waiting for feedback about larger prints, I hope they are detailed, torture files. I look forward to your print feedback. [Would 30 inches be a non-starter?].

............. Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Been shooting my son's middle school football games here in Austin, TX. For the off field action I've been experimenting with the A7s + Contax G 45/2 on a Techart Ver 3 adapter. The AF is adequate and I really enjoy the character of the Zeiss.

Post Thanks / Like

Some shots from our local flckr group monthly meet up. I would normally convert to B&W but have left them in colour just to show how the camera handles colour at the the high iso's FE 55/1.8 (apart from the 3rd which is with the Cv 35/1.2 v2) and electronic shutter
    All processed in Lr5.6 with some small alterations (very difficult mixed lighting going on)

Attachment 83465

Attachment 83466

Attachment 83467

Attachment 83468

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Autumn

Petrol and Courgettes

Just this guy you know
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post