The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with A7S

biglouis

Hi Louis
I'm interested to know why you would say that?
Interestingly I am finding the the A7s have a fantastic greyscale tonality when converted in Silverefexpro, something I don't really see to quite the same degree with the A7 and M(240). Exactly why this is the case I don't know but it is a pleasant surprise
I was going to comment on that as well. The tones look fantastic on the screen.

I think what I meant by my original comment is that most people seem to be overlooking Sony/Zeiss glass with the A7s but you are obviously getting good use from the 24-70.

Nice captures!

LouisB

J

JohnW

I judge digital black and white performance by the whites, light grays, and transitions between them. Those look really good.

John

Here are couple more from the 'renovation project'
1st and 2nd are with the 24-70 and the 3rd with the leica WATE
I suppose I am primarily a documentary photographer and this is where I find the A7s shines. I have been a leica user for many years but am finding the Sony A7 system to be very good for what I do. The WATE I wouldn't normally use on anything other than the M(240) but I thought I would give it a go on the A7s and seems to perform pretty well.

View attachment 82970

View attachment 82971

View attachment 82969

G43

I agree :)

I love the ultra-smooth transitions between the whole tonal scale. I can't help start thinking zone system while exposing.

sven

The black and white tonality is absolutely gorgeous. I noticed a very curious thing. The Leica monochrome shines with older lenses that have low contrast but actually is pedestrian(it really is, dont jump on me Leica fan) with the newer asph lenses. But the A7s is spectacular with the newer asph lenses while still very good with old low contrast lenses. Love the B&W images from A7s. It has replaced all my Leica cameras except the M-E which I still love for its CCD sensor and colors.

Viramati

Hi Louis
Only for still photography as I have never really shot video and I don't I think it is an area I'm interested in getting into. Strange really as I used to work as a set/stills photographer in film industry in Italy.

Last edited:
J

JohnW

...By the way how do I get the site to show the larger images without having to click on the smaller ones? Thanks
Davvid, I use Zenfolio also. I have a gallery that is specifically for hosting photos to publish to forums. Make the gallery private but each image public, then copy the link for the size you want and place it in your post using the image icon.

Obviously, this assumes the pictures are not published to your public site, in which case you would do the same from the public folder.

John

biglouis

Re: Poor Bowie

David

Did you buy the camera purely for still photography or for the video capability as well?

LouisB
I only ask because the camera appeals to me as a stills camera and I just wondered if that would be pointless if your main interest is stills.

Like you, I have no interest in movies.

Been contemplating investing in a RX1R but now I wonder whether I'd get more use from a A7s. I've found my C-40 Cron (like your recent purchase of the Minolta 28mm) works brilliantly on the A7, btw.

LouisB

Viramati

Well I suppose if you want something pocketable the RX1r is the way to go but your limited to the 35mm lens and the EVF is an add-on and expensive. If your not worried about the 12mp file size and seeing that the camera body in itself is small and light and the fact that it costs about the same as the XX1r I would personally go for the A7s. In fact the A7s and the FE35/2.8 is a small and light weight package with the advantage of the high iso, better auto-focus and built in EVF. Personally I seldom print larger than A3+ so 12mp are Ok for me. I sold some gear (2nd A7, Fuji X20 and fuji X100s) when I got the A7s and also bought the RX100 III as a small pocketable camera and while not FF it is a little gem of a camera

One more. Was having lunch with Monza, trying out his Zeiss Contax G Biogon 28/2.8 on the A7s. I had previously tested this lens on the A7 and found it lacking but it is a keeper on the s. The only deficiency I could find was a very slight blue cast in the corners that is only really visible against white.

You can't tell in this shot but the corners appear to be sharp stopped down to f/5.6 or so.

What really sold me on the lens was the rendering. Even here, in this banal shot, the way the lens transitions from razor sharp on the subject to OOF distance is just perfect to my eyes. Definitely has that Zeiss signature.

I liked it so much I orchestrated a trade for the lens (and a G1 body) later that day.

shot @ f/2.8

RiversPhoto

ISO 12,800, no additional noise reduction or adjustment from a RAW file.

Voightlander 35mm F1.4 SC at F2.8 (great lens on this camera!)

Michael

camping

Has anyone tried a 1970's 35mm lux on the A7s? I tried mine at a Sony shop but was not happy with the focus. It might have been my fault as I was shooting at 1.4. Thanks. Paul

Despite my hectic schedule, I took a day off to catch the sunrise at the Magdalena Ridge and later got to the annual Pie Festival.

I took a few students on the trip. We were surprised by the temperature inversion.

A7s+ Contax 55/1.2

The Dawn Chasers

A7s+ ZM 15

Dawn at the Magdalena Ridge

Later on, we arrived just on time for the Pie Eating Contest.

A7s+ZM 15

First Dip

To the Limit

The Victor!