The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with A7S

JMaher

Jono,

Did you have the opportunity to try printing out a few to see how the 12MP held up to print?

Jim

jfirneno

Boy, do I love this camera.

Went out at lunch time to an urban park with some work photo friends and goofed around with all the fall landscape stuff. Nothing Ansel Adams would have written home about but I do like shooting with this camera. All hand held in bright sun so no challenges (except lack of skill on my part).

Regards,
John

jonoslack

And that was three days ago . . . :sleep006:
He's sooo slow :)

All the best.
Sorry!
I have, and close up shots look great, even 25" prints viewing from a foot. But detailed foliage at a distance doesn't fare so well. I guess it's pretty obvious that 12mp isn't 24.......

Now I have to consider whether a lovely screen presentation is enough.......

Viramati

Sorry!
I have, and close up shots look great, even 25" prints viewing from a foot. But detailed foliage at a distance doesn't fare so well. I guess it's pretty obvious that 12mp isn't 24.......

Now I have to consider whether a lovely screen presentation is enough.......
Jono your findings make total sense and for landscape work I would try to stick to my M and A7 but I have had A0 landscape prints made from the days when I had the D700 that I am happy with at normal viewing distances. After all with the majority landscape painters when viewed very close up you will see brush marks etc but go back to normal viewing distances and the composition, colour and tones take over. The main thing with 12mp is the fact that cropping really begins to effect the IQ but this has a positive side that I find I need to concentrate much more on my composition actually at the tome of taking the shot

iiiNelson

Looking through this thread there are so many good images. I try to stay away from this thread because it means I will be out of $2500 but looking at this thread and the Credo 50 one that Guy started and it's really easy to see the family relation in rendering between these Sony sensors. I think the A7s has all the A7's beat when it comes to saturation/pop but the A7r has that ridiculously sharp 3D look (when the photographer does their part) that's not quite MF but still very special.

Yesterday, I organized a small trip to the International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque with a group of my students. We went there at 4 am and got back to town around 10:30 pm. A full day of fun. I'm still in the process of processing the pictures. But here is a few shots with my old flame (the lens not the girls :D - have been using the 15 most of the time).

A7s + Contax 55/1.2 (WO)

The Waltz of Solar

Smiling Girl

jonoslack

Jono your findings make total sense and for landscape work I would try to stick to my M and A7 but I have had A0 landscape prints made from the days when I had the D700 that I am happy with at normal viewing distances. After all with the majority landscape painters when viewed very close up you will see brush marks etc but go back to normal viewing distances and the composition, colour and tones take over. The main thing with 12mp is the fact that cropping really begins to effect the IQ but this has a positive side that I find I need to concentrate much more on my composition actually at the tome of taking the shot
HI David
I quite agree - I have some really large prints taken with the Olympus E1 way back when - and they are also fine from normal viewing distances. . .

The cropping is more of an issue for me (not for landscape), but for candid/event/concert shots, when you need to react fast with a prime lens, and cropping makes the difference between making it and not making it.

The pop of these images is hard to resist though!

Viramati

HI David
I quite agree - I have some really large prints taken with the Olympus E1 way back when - and they are also fine from normal viewing distances. . .

The cropping is more of an issue for me (not for landscape), but for candid/event/concert shots, when you need to react fast with a prime lens, and cropping makes the difference between making it and not making it.

The pop of these images is hard to resist though!
I agree the cropping is the main setback here but on the other hand to be able to use the 24-70 in a low light situation with high shutter speeds (and silent shutter if necessary) really can help. I was at a friends wedding just with the A7 and 24-70 and found it all worked well together though I would have liked the lens to have been a 2.8 so as to be able to get a bit more seperation