The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with A7S

Stefan Steib

Impression from Photokina 2014 Cologne - view from the parking deck to the dome. Rain has just cleared and the sun gets through.

Sony A7S , FE Zeiss 1,8/55mm... and some Photoshop/Nik.

This is the annual event of repainting the letter M on the mountain in celebration of 49ers holiday. The participants can either choose to carry a 50-lb bag of lime up to peak and re-paint the letter M or decide that by carrying themselves through a mile of steep, rocky slope would be a feat in and of itself. The winner this year clocked in at 39 minutes and I'm content with my 2-hour mark :D.

A7s + Contax 55 (distance view of the M mountain)

Early Light

A7s + ZM 15:

Excitement next to the bag of lime

Ascending

Splitting Sky

Crossroads

The M View

From the Top

Perseverance

The View

J

JohnW

Question for you A7s owners: is the silent shutter COMPLETELY silent? Not even a little "snick"? I'm considering a project for which I'd need complete silence. Thanks for your help.

John

jfirneno

Question for you A7s owners: is the silent shutter COMPLETELY silent? Not even a little "snick"? I'm considering a project for which I'd need complete silence. Thanks for your help.

John
John:

I watched a video clip that showed that the camera is so silent that the only sound that was heard by the microphone was the sound of the aperture closing on the lens. They tried the shot again with a wide open aperture setting and no noise was detected at all. If your lens has a detectable aperture closing sound then you'll need to think about that noise.

Regards,
John

J

JohnW

Thanks, John. For this project I would likely use a Contax G 90, so I guess I'll have to try it. Appreciate your help.

John

Thanks, John. For this project I would likely use a Contax G 90, so I guess I'll have to try it. Appreciate your help.

John
To be clear, the physical shutter of the A7s does make noise but there is a silent shooting mode that utilizes a full electronic curtain. Depending on the speed of subject movement or panning, the electronic shutter could generate image distortions but for most subjects it works as well as the physical shutter.

I use the Contax G 90 on the A7s too. Great combo.

Chad

Slingers

Thanks pegelli.

Contax G 21/2.8 1/320 ISO125 i think it was at f/8 but could be lower. Shows some smearing/colour cast in the corners but a lot better than on the NEX-7.

Slingers

Contax G 35-70/3.5-5.6 @ 70mm f/5.6 ISO2000 1/640

Has colour cast on my NEX-7 but none visible on the A7S.

iiiNelson

:thumbup: congrats with your new camera, I'm still considering but haven't taken the plunge yet :angel:
Me either but I tried one out in store. Great camera but I was able to resist GAS that time. In reality I would prefer it to be at least 16 megapixels. If it were I probably would've already bought it.

jfirneno

Would posters prefer that this thread be combined with the "Fun With A7/A7R" thread?

Would posters prefer that this thread be combined with the "Fun With A7/A7R" thread?

I was curious what the folks contributing to this thread think.

Would people rather post to these two threads separately or combined? What are the pluses and minuses? I'd be interested in your opinions. Maybe other people would be too.

Thanks,
John

Another week, another excellent round of captures everyone! I don't mind if we combine this with the A7/A7r thread. But it's nice to see some of the high ISO, low light shots in here without filtering through shots from A7/A7r.

Some of mine during a short trip to Oklahoma:
A7s + ZM 15

A couple of shots in church with Contax 55

A couple of shots in downtown Tulsa (ZM 15) High ISO

Well, I resisted for over six months (which is amazing for me) but I finally gave in and bought an a7S.

I've had it for 30 minutes and I'm already blown away by the high ISO performance.

And, the silent shutter feature is just plain freaky. (Besides two a7S's, my other main camera is a Rollei SL66, so you could say I'm accustomed to some shutter noise.) This will take some getting used to!

The Leica 28mm R lens has always been a favorite of mine, but it was never satisfying on the a7R. On the a7S however, it's a totally different story.

And ISO 500 never looked so good.

A couple random shots in my back garden.

The dog house

Larger version here.

Unused chair

Larger version here.

Slingers

The last of my testing. Here is the Contax G 35-70 zoom as requested. All focused at infinity.

35mm f/8 1/1250 ISO8000

50mm f/8 1/1250 ISO12800

70mm f/8 1/1250 ISO1250