The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji/Canon/etc colors?

ZoranC

On Fuji colors and always at the risk of giving offence, I find them far less appealing than what Sony is giving us these days.
philip_pj, at the risk of giving offence, this thread was meant to discuss technical topic, it was not meant for voting whose colors one likes better nor for cheerleading brand X and poohpooing brand B.

fotografz

Thank you but topic is not "do you personally care" but "is my assessment correct and if yes how to go after it".

But you asked:

Re: Fuji/Canon/etc colors?

During browsing of Fuji X thread I observers this look / rendering that seems to be common to many of samples that I have, not being able to pin down exact root behind it, started labeling in my brain as "Fuji colors".

After I have finished browsing my knee jerk response was "I want to buy Fuji X" but then I started thinking would that make any sense because I have started wondering how much of such looks is due to "look by certain hardware" and how much is due to manufacturer's choices of tone mapping, curves, etc during RAW development, similar to choices "film emulation" software does.

In turn I started wondering, if it's the later, can such look be recreated/reproduced during RAW development of files from any camera, whether A7R or some else, and if yes how to do it.

What are your thoughts / experiences with this?
Perhaps you need to be more careful when posting your questions if you want to control the responses so tightly?

You asked "what people's thoughts and experiences were with this". If their experience was "it can't, and here is why.", that begs just as much explanation behind that opinion as it would if the answer was "Yes it can, and here is how to do it".

Just because you personally may not like the response based on a member's experience and personal observations of "Fuji, Canon, etc." (i.e. Sony, Leica, Nikon, Oly, Panasonic, ), doesn't mean it is not a valid answer for the group to consider.

IMHO, it is an inevitable consequence when discussing engineering and software type questions that effect a subject that is fraught with personal artistic interpretations … or, as Guy and I have indicted, the practical consequences on time and expense.

- Marc

Perhaps you need to be more careful when posting your questions if you want to control the responses so tightly?

You asked "what people's thoughts and experiences were with this".
He asked "can such look be recreated/reproduced during RAW development of files from any camera, whether A7R or some else, and if yes how to do it.

What are your thoughts / experiences with this? "

what most of people posted is totally useless blah-blah-blah (yes, including your postings indeed)... valid points posted were 1) that if 2 cameras have at least one pair of colors which first separates and second does not then you can not match colors absolutely exactly and 2) I posted a link to a method (from Iliah Borg's - /collaborator in RPP, rawdigger, frv/ - blog) how to more or less match the output

Steve P.

what most of people posted is totally useless blah-blah-blah (yes, including your postings indeed)... valid points posted were 1) that if 2 cameras have at least one pair of colors which first separates and second does not then you can not match colors absolutely exactly and 2) I posted a link to a method (from Iliah Borg's - /collaborator in RPP, rawdigger, frv/ - blog) how to more or less match the output
This is an internet forum. Trying to control where people want to take it is a lot like p***ing in the wind.:)

fotografz

He asked "can such look be recreated/reproduced during RAW development of files from any camera, whether A7R or some else, and if yes how to do it.

What are your thoughts / experiences with this? "

what most of people posted is totally useless blah-blah-blah (yes, including yours indeed)... valid points posted were 1) that if 2 cameras have at least one pair of colors which first separates and second does not then you can not match colors absolutely exactly and 2) I posed a link to a method (Iliah Borg's blog) how to more or less match the output
Okay. Nice to know that so many respected and valuable member's thoughts, ideas and experiences are "Useless blah, blah, blah".

Not the usual friendly tone and manner of this forum … where no thought is right or wrong, just something to consider, or not, at will … without all the dismissive huffing and puffing.:thumbdown:

- Marc

Okay. Nice to know that so many respected and valuable member's thoughts, ideas and experiences are "Useless blah, blah, blah".
being "respected and valuable" does not mean that every posting is automatically full of sense... if it is a **** I call it what it is, sorry - not born in USA, not fond of Dale Carnegie.

fotografz

being "respected and valuable" does not mean that every posting is automatically full of sense... if it is a **** I call it what it is, sorry - not born in USA, not fond of Dale Carnegie.
Not full of sense according to you, not everyone.

Apparently, you aren't fond of common courtesy either.

By all means, continue whizzing into the wind.

ZoranC

You asked "what people's thoughts and experiences were with this". If their experience was "it can't, and here is why.", that begs just as much explanation behind that opinion as it would if the answer was "Yes it can, and here is how to do it".

Just because you personally may not like the response based on a member's experience and personal observations of "Fuji, Canon, etc." (i.e. Sony, Leica, Nikon, Oly, Panasonic, ), doesn't mean it is not a valid answer for the group to consider.

IMHO, it is an inevitable consequence when discussing engineering and software type questions that effect a subject that is fraught with personal artistic interpretations … or, as Guy and I have indicted, the practical consequences on time and expense.

- Marc
I feel I was as careful and clear as one can get because it can't get much clearer and simpler for comprehension than "can such look be recreated/reproduced during RAW development of files from any camera, whether A7R or some else, and if yes how to do it". phillip_pj's post did not offer anything on that topic.

Also, his post was IMHO nothing but berating of Fuji and cheerleading Sony. Words like "unsophisticated, and for nature shots, often cartoonish and Disney-like. There is more subtlety in a Ridley Scott sci-fi movie!" do not offer anything of value (maybe to you but not to me), and make you wonder where they come from, especially when check of Imatest results indicates anything but. Please take a look at IR's measurements of A7R vs. XT1:

Sony A7R Review - Exposure
Fujifilm X-T1 Review - Exposure
http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews/sony/a7r/ZAA7RhVFAI00100_colorerror.png
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x-t1/ZXT1hVFAI00100_colorerror.png

Combine that with his history of "Sony-Sony-rah-rah-rah" kind of posts, both here and elsewhere, and I think it should be rather clear to you I was not trying to tightly control answers but am getting annoyed at cheerleading squad trying to (ab)use this thread.

So maybe it's you that needs to be more careful when posting so you can avoid jumping down somebody's throat without assuring it's founded first.

fotografz

I feel I was as careful and clear as one can get because it can't get much clearer and simpler for comprehension than "can such look be recreated/reproduced during RAW development of files from any camera, whether A7R or some else, and if yes how to do it". phillip_pj's post did not offer anything on that topic.

Also, his post was IMHO nothing but berating of Fuji and cheerleading Sony. Words like "unsophisticated, and for nature shots, often cartoonish and Disney-like. There is more subtlety in a Ridley Scott sci-fi movie!" do not offer anything of value (maybe to you but not to me), and make you wonder where they come from, especially when check of Imatest results indicates anything but. Please take a look at IR's measurements of A7R vs. XT1:

Sony A7R Review - Exposure
Fujifilm X-T1 Review - Exposure
http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews/sony/a7r/ZAA7RhVFAI00100_colorerror.png
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x-t1/ZXT1hVFAI00100_colorerror.png

Combine that with his history of "Sony-Sony-rah-rah-rah" kind of posts, both here and elsewhere, and I think it should be rather clear to you I was not trying to tightly control answers but am getting annoyed at cheerleading squad trying to (ab)use this thread.

So maybe it's you that needs to be more careful when posting so you can avoid jumping down somebody's throat without assuring it's founded first.
Thank you, now it is clearer.

You are annoyed at the Sony oriented response … on the Sony portion of this forum.

Duh! :facesmack:

- Marc

ZoranC

Thank you, now it is clearer.

You are annoyed at the Sony oriented response … on the Sony portion of this forum.

Duh! :facesmack:

- Marc
I see you are not interested in logic but in twisting words (or you ran out of chill pills so you are just in the bad mood and looking for an excuse to argue with somebody?).

Regardless of that I hope you are capable of realizing "bashing of Fuji in Sony forum" can not be disguised and dismissed as "Sony oriented response in Sony forum".

P.S. "XYZ oriented response in XYZ forum"? Whatever is that supposed to mean? Is that how they call fanboi shouts nowadays?

fotografz

The Moderators, in their wisdom, provided other forums for discussing cross branded technical subjects such as yours.

Perhaps you'd get a better response there?

- Marc

BTW, NO … I am not interested in your brand of personally dismissive autocratic logic, and really do not care if you are "annoyed" by other's enthusiasm for the gear they chose to express themselves with on a forum dedicated to that choice. So, give it a rest.

ZoranC

The Moderators, in their wisdom, provided other forums for discussing cross branded technical subjects such as yours.

Perhaps you'd get a better response there?

- Marc

BTW, NO … I am not interested in your brand of personally dismissive autocratic logic, and really do not care if you are "annoyed" by other's enthusiasm for the gear they chose to express themselves with on a forum dedicated to that choice. So, give it a rest.
I will repeat my plea that you start thinking through before posting (thank you in advance!) because:

1. It is obvious I am asking how to match colors from Fuji with my Sony. This is a Sony forum. Thus this _does_ belong into Sony forum.

2. Bashing of other brands is not "enthusiasm for gear one chose". Actually, it is my understanding brand bashing is against GetDPI rules in any of the GetDPI forums.

G43

Uiii ... some harsh remarks fell here.

If a softer tone would come back to this thread I would be very interested carrying out a small experiment Zoran and I agreed to make.

Jumping over all the initial conversations leading up to this agreement it is about trying to get the output from an A7s looking like the output of my X100 MP Bayer camera.

Short prelude: I have two X100 cameras which color palette I like very much. Lately I bought an A7s in the hope to replace the X100's as a low pixel count workhorse. No doubt the X100's will die for me one day and it is probably becoming more and more difficult to maintain a working sample.
I've tried to develop the Sony RAW files pulling the colors towards the X100 output, but so far without any satisfying outcome.

So in all simplicity I agreed with Zoran to shoot a scene with both cameras and make the files available on my Dropbox. A link will be posted here when I am done. (will not be within the first weeks time, I am travelling).
Zoran would then make his try and perhaps see what could be done by use of filters of any sort i.e. DXO's FilmPack or Alien Skin's Exposure . Something I did not try yet.

I use ACR/PS in my workflow but have disregarded this as an influencer since the signature this SW leads to are applied all kind of camera files processed by it.

About my shots I find it best to post the RAW files and I will try to match the two OOC histograms to be even. Set the cameras as even I can leading to the closest color and contrast match I can muster OOC.

Perhaps for most this experiment is not interesting at all? How many still shoots the old X100 and how many wish a brand new camera from a different brand to perform like a almost vintage camera? I can't think of many.
Please note this is not about the X-TRANS sensor output which is a completely different kettle of fish.

Again. Hope the continuation of this thread will be kept in a nice tone. Any other way, I'm out.

Paratom

You might be able to reproduce a certain "look" but in my experience what works for one image doesnt necesarly work for another image with different WB, color, light.
For me much easier to use a camera/raw processor combination which works in the first step color wise.
I think specially the Fuji colors do look different, some like it a lot, I sometimes found them washed out.
If I would like them I would probably just use a Fuji camera.

G43

Hi Anna T

We have to stay clear the Fuji Colors I am addressing are NOT those from the X-TRANS sensor but those produced by the 12 MP Bayer sensor in the X100.
Perhaps it was also what you meant?
As I wrote over at the Loxia Thread I haven't had any success using all my skills with ACR/PS twisting the A7s colors even near to the Fuji's.
It is of course not such a terrible problem, if I can't or somebody else can't... then it is just like that.
There are many camera signatures over the digital age that cannot easy be replicated.

This little experiment is just for fun and as a start point I have my prejudices it can't be done to the point. I hope nobody will start sweating over this, it is merely just me who tried if I could do it and that I have a certain love affaire with the mojo the X100 sensor and engine deliver.
I also replied to Zoran applying filters or filmemolusion vintage is not my cup of tea. But let's see where this takes us :)

I will leave the topic for now. I'm leaving for a 7 days Photo Safari :)

Slingers

I'm looking forward to attempting to match the colours and seeing the results we all come up with.