Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

Doug...Many thanks for the link.
    The 35/f2 ZM Biogon is a great lens but not particularly very good on the A7R and I sold mine after just taking a few test shots (Colour shift edges and smearing etc)...I then went with the CV35/1.2 ii instead.
    If this 35mm Loxia f2 Biogon optically turns out to be just another reincarnation of the ZM I personally wouldn't touch it period, even with the benefit of linked exif data...I personally don't want to run every image through with a corrective profile.
    I suspect that this is a newly designed Biogon that has the optical train set back further from the sensor as it's only a short focal length lens and easier to correct.
    I don't particularly like the reverse direction (to what I'm used to) aperture ring that close to the camera body either but then that's me.

Re: The Loxia 50mm f2 Planar which I also had in a ZM mount was an excellent lens and very close in IQ optically to the 55/1.8 FE (FE 55/1.8 is still a keeper for now...I want faster not slower and shorter focal length).
    Again I don't like the reverse aperture ring direction that close to the body but the exif data linkage would be welcome.
    Cheers Barry

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah implementation the reversed aperture rings irritates me a bit.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do you guys expect that them Loxia's will exceed the quality of the older ZM line by much?

Perhaps due to better glass and construction technology available today?

Looks very promising to me!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I kind of do. They have the Touit lenses for the APS cams and they are very nice. These look very similar in design at least the exterior of them. I'm expecting they will be good and made for digital capture as well. Hopefully I'm right.

This is a exciting time for Sony.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Do you guys expect that them Loxia's will exceed the quality of the older ZM line by much?

Perhaps due to better glass and construction technology available today?

Looks very promising to me!
    I hope so Georg,
    I don't believe Zeiss would be that stupid to make them worse - But if they make a Loxia 25mm Biogon with the same design as the 25mm ZM with the optical path not set back from the sensor it will be a non starter for many I suspect...That's all supposing that curved sensors are not destined for future FE bodies...Just my 2p worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is something that I don't get : SAR says that the aperture of the lens is electronically controlled on both the 35mm and the 50mm.. so may be that that the aperture ring is only there as a reference to allow zone focusing ? that you set the aperture on the body ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It may mean like other Zeiss lenses if you set the aperture ring to f22 than aperture will be controlled via the camera and if you go off F22 than you are controlling it manually instead.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With the Sony-Zeiss partnership firmly established over recent years I'm sure Zeiss will have enjoyed full access to Sony technology allowing them to tailor the Loxia lenses specifically to the Sony FE cameras. I have to say this announcement has me seriously contemplating the sale of my ZM 25mm Biogon for the first time. Up to now I've been hoping for a mirrorless body that could take the place of my Ricoh GXR-M without compromising the performance of my wider M lenses. I'm just about convinced that the A7s might be up to the job when Zeiss do this to me I hope the price of the Loxia range is not too greatly increased in comparison to the ZM lenses, but if they're in the same ballpark it's going to make one hell of a compelling system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Certainly will and not to get so focused on Zeiss but we have Sigma, Sony itself getting the FE line filled out. Going to be very interesting and exciting to see what we do as end users on our choices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's true Guy, and another big plus is they're all native E mount which takes any potential mount adapter issues off the table.

Post Thanks / Like

And aside from new glass, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony announces a new high-end body or two soon. They've been aggressive on the development front for the last couple of years, and I suspect that will continue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
    That's true Guy, and another big plus is they're all native E mount which takes any potential mount adapter issues off the table.
    The flip side of that coin is you can't use them on anything but Sony!

_______

Doug...And aside from new glass, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony announces a new high-end body or two soon. They've been aggressive on the development front for the last couple of years, and I suspect that will continue.

This maybe it... (SR3) Surprise: There is a high resolution Sony camera ready to be shown at Photokina? | sonyalpharumors

______

I have not heard it mentioned here before but has nobody else wondered (Other than me) that the name "Loxia" was deliberately chosen because it resembled "Leica" and not bird genera?
    i.e. It's a five lettered word starting in (L) ending in (a) with an (i) inbetween?
    Wiki list 2153 bird genera List of bird genera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and nothing else gets even close.
    Genus "TOUIT", Genus "OTUS", Genus "LOXIA" and Genus "RAPHUS" (Dodos) maybe not.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Barry Haines;598721]The flip side of that coin is you can't use them on anything but Sony!

Well you could...with the right adapter!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Certainly will and not to get so focused on Zeiss but we have Sigma, Sony itself getting the FE line filled out. Going to be very interesting and exciting to see what we do as end users on our choices.
    Yeah there's still the rumored 85/1.8 FE that's supposed to be coming.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Steve P.;598723]
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post

Well you could...with the right adapter!
    Cheers Steve...Silly me of course you are right ...I had forgotten all about the Metaskeleton Smartless MK73 adapter

Post Thanks / Like

FE lens mount lens attached to an adapter isn't going on any FF camera that I know of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Barry Haines;598726]

Cheers Steve...Silly me of course you are right ...I had forgotten all about the Metaskeleton Smartless MK73 adapter
    I'll wait for the reviews on that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FE lens mount lens attached to an adapter isn't going on any FF camera that I know of.
    Barry, you do realise I was joking about the adapter I hope. The big blue winking emoticon I posted at the end of the sentence was a bit of a hint in that direction. My apologies if I've misread the nature of your reply. Truth to tell, I thought you were joining in on the joke. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Barry, you do realise I was joking about the adapter I hope. The big blue winking emoticon I posted at the end of the sentence was a bit of a hint in that direction. My apologies if I've misread the nature of your reply. Truth to tell, I thought you were joining in on the joke. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
    I knew that you knew that Steve hence the like...I was just being equally cynical

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I knew that you knew that Steve hence the like...I was just being equally cynical
    Fair enough, Barry. Just wanted to be sure. You're not the first person who's had to explain things to me in simple terms that I can understand!

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, Barry. Just wanted to be sure. You're not the first person who's had to explain things to me in simple terms that I can understand!
    None the less we still have to be clear to others who are not as smart as us two ...That a square peg ain't going through a round hole (at least not without an adapter )...Cheers Barry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

______

I have not heard it mentioned here before but has nobody else wondered (Other than me) that the name "Loxia" was deliberately chosen because it resembled "Leica" and not bird genera?
    i.e. It's a five lettered word starting in (L) ending in (a) with an (i) inbetween?
    Wiki list 2153 bird genera List of bird genera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and nothing else gets even close.
    Genus "TOUIT", Genus "OTUS", Genus "LOXIA" and Genus "RAPHUS" (Dodos) maybe not.
    I have been wondering about that name too. But the X in the middle is so strong that I didn't think to Leica..

My first association was with luxuriös..and Luxus. (Not announcing better news than the association with Leica for the price).

Then I wondered about a possible signification for each letter, but didn't come to any sensed hypotheses.

L : light, leicht, Licht (are they fast or small and light ?)
    O : optic, optical, Optik,
    X : extreme, extrême, extremely, excellent, .. many things supposed to be of higher IQ or offering better performances include an X in the model name.
    I : interchangeable
    A : all, alpha (like the alpha 7)

But the sequence of the letters don't make sense..unless : light optics of excellent quality for interchangeable Alpha bodies.. Mm mm not very convincing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I have been wondering about that name too. But the X in the middle is so strong that I didn't think to Leica..

My first association was with luxuriös..and Luxus. (Not announcing better news than the association with Leica for the price).

Then I wondered about a possible signification for each letter, but didn't come to any sensed hypotheses.

L : light, leicht, Licht (are they fast or small and light ?)
    O : optic, optical, Optik,
    X : extreme, extrême, extremely, excellent, .. many things supposed to be of higher IQ or offering better performances include an X in the model name.
    I : interchangeable
    A : all, alpha (like the alpha 7)

But the sequence of the letters don't make sense..unless : light optics of excellent quality for interchangeable Alpha bodies.. Mm mm not very convincing.

Apologies Annna T, having reread what I wrote earlier I have phrased it very badly indeed (that's my fault, sorry for wasting your time). It is obviously bird genera names because that makes sense with Touit and Otus (I think we would all come up with different words spelling out the letters from LOXIA). The point I am now trying to get over was that out of 2153 bird genera names on the Wiki link, Zeiss came up with something that partly resembled LEICA IMHO (nothing else came even close). I think they planned to do this all along when the TOUIT and then the OTUS came out with subliminal marketing as Leica represents quality. Not that it matters, I was just curious if others here have had the same thought.

Edit. PS. Strange but I also had LUXUS (Leica gold plated camera) flash up in my mind at one point.
    Last edited by Barry Haines; 29th August 2014 at 09:47.

Post Thanks / Like

LOXIA probably means 'made up marketing babble'.

I suspect that Zeiss recognises the FE mount has a very bright future and will produce a very impressive line of lenses. Sure, some will be better than others (as per ZM line up), but that's normal.

I hope the 85mm f1.8 from Sony will not be like a longer 55mm, as I'd be hoping for something less clinical for portrait use. Soft corners, at the few stops is fine by me, along with beautiful bokeh and imperfect sharpness wide open. I heard they got stung with the ZE/ZF2 85 1.4 because they designed it for portrait users and to be sharp stopped down and people complained it was not sharp enough wide open. Like you shoot landscapes at f1.4....

Personally, I am itching for the 18 and 24/25mm offerings.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    LOXIA probably means 'made up marketing babble'.

I suspect that Zeiss recognises the FE mount has a very bright future and will produce a very impressive line of lenses. Sure, some will be better than others (as per ZM line up), but that's normal.

I hope the 85mm f1.8 from Sony will not be like a longer 55mm, as I'd be hoping for something less clinical for portrait use. Soft corners, at the few stops is fine by me, along with beautiful bokeh and imperfect sharpness wide open. I heard they got stung with the ZE/ZF2 85 1.4 because they designed it for portrait users and to be sharp stopped down and people complained it was not sharp enough wide open. Like you shoot landscapes at f1.4....

Personally, I am itching for the 18 and 24/25mm offerings.
    I kind of expect the 85/1.8 (if it is even true) to be a "85 Otus light" (if that's even in the works) sort of like the 55FE is kinda a "55 Otus light."

As for the Loxia name it's either a marketing ploy or someone at Zeiss potentially has an unhealthy obsession with birds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

... and that is a big deal because ...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't understand dismisivness in some of the posts. None of such posters had these lenses in their hands, one doesn't know how they will be performing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brian Smith reports that Zeiss have been working on the Loxias since the release of the a7/a7r...he has to play his cards close to his chest, but what it might mean is they are very good.

I really like that they are only for FE - Zeiss owes us, there was no 'ZA' of the ZE/ZF range remember, so these are the first dedicated manual focus lenses by them for Sony. Like the FE primes, if you want 'em - buy Sony!

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Flash back in time, I remember well when Sony took over Konica Minolta. In 2008 I was hard pressed for my future camera equippment decision, coming from Olympus E1 originally, then E3 and unhappy with that development.

I was torn between MFDB, Nikon, Canon and Sony, and I chose Sony because I was reasonably certain they would continue to shake up the market with more innovations after the A900.... and bloody well they did! It was a little bit like placing a bet on the stock market.

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you want so fast lenses ? Given the format and the excellent sensor, I would prefer smaller and lighter lenses. So F2.8 is really sufficient on the A7 series. Smaller lighter lenses make more sense on these small portable bodies. They would be perfect for travel and PJ type of photography.
    Could not agree more. I really hope there is a 20-21mm coming with this lot. F2.8 will be fine for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    ... and that is a big deal because ...?
    Who said it was a big deal...I said flip side of the coin.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody have an explanation why they selected the 35 and 50mm focal length? That seems to be the most stupid business decision ever. The FE lens lineup is full of giant holes, but Zeiss decided to build exactly the two lenses that already exist as native FE primes. I don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasZ View Post
    Does anybody have an explanation why they selected the 35 and 50mm focal length? That seems to be the most stupid business decision ever. The FE lens lineup is full of giant holes, but Zeiss decided to build exactly the two lenses that already exist as native FE primes. I don't get it.
    There's an assumption that because Sony have a lens making partnership with Zeiss that the two separate companies should share a strategic partnership as well. I wish it were so but I don't think it is. It would certainly be better for the end user not to have these annoying overlaps when there are some glaring holes in the lens line up but I think Zeiss are targetting the focal lengths they believe will be most popular. Part of the rumours circulating about Loxia is that the range will extend to at least five lenses. Hopefully Photokina will give us a better idea of what these may be and when we may expect them. Don't forget also that without the need for an autofocus motor in the lens, they should be able to make faster aperture lenses with little or no size penalty in relation to Sony's own AF lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope it isn't because wide angle with sharp corners are too difficult to issue, given the short flange distance (see the legacy Biogon problems).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope it isn't because wide angle with sharp corners are too difficult to issue, given the short flange distance (see the legacy Biogon problems).
    Oh no! Don't say THAT!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They can go the Distagon way. No issues with my C/Y Distagon lenses. The 2.8 lenses are not to big (except the 21) but a good not to big 24/2.8 must be possible. It will be just a bit longer then C/Y versions. The 18/4 Distagon is actually rather small, but that is possibly to slow for most people. Not for me if it is a good lens.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    They can go the Distagon way. No issues with my C/Y Distagon lenses. The 2.8 lenses are not to big (except the 21) but a good not to big 24/2.8 must be possible. It will be just a bit longer then C/Y versions. The 18/4 Distagon is actually rather small, but that is possibly to slow for most people. Not for me if it is a good lens.
    Thanks Michiel, you made me feel a little better after Annna T's nasty shock.
    I've always been pleased with the performance of my VM 15mm on the GXR-M, despite a max aperture of f4.5 and I think with the high iso capabilities of the A7s, f4 is even more versatile in use than ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Loxia lenses specifications are out at Sony Alpha Rumors

Mmm the 35mm F2 is a Biogon design. But they say that the design has been optimized for the A7 series cameras. Among else, their aim was also to create light lenses (hurray !) They are also announcing "High quality images thanks to proven optical design."

Now we will have to see how much is marketing only and how much us true.. And whether they were really able to adapt the Biogon design to the A7r sensor.. Let's hope that they will hold their promises.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

interesting:
    option aperture lock?
    gasket at the lens mount
    mag function comes up when focusing

my sony 55/f1.8 weighs 290 g (zeiss f2.0 is 320g), the sony 35/f2.8 is 135g (Zeiss f2.0 is 340g)

are these only manual focus, manual aperture?

Post Thanks / Like

Why do these lenses seen so gigantic compared to my Leica f2 35 and 50mm lenses with 39mm filters?

Post Thanks / Like

For those that are interested you can now download the Loxia leaflet from the SAR link below.

Zeiss posts the Loxia Leaflet. But will announce pricing on September 5th only. | sonyalpharumors

Regards the size Joe, they would have to be that much longer than a Leica M lens because the FE mount is that much closer to the sensor than what it is on a M camera (something would have to make up the difference - You can only reduce the design by so much).
    The diameter of the FE/E mount is slightly greater than a Leica M mount to start with, I doubt there would be much call for conical shaped lenses just to achieve a (Leica) 39mm thread (cosmetically it is less appealing)...Hope that helps...Cheers Barry
    Last edited by Barry Haines; 1st September 2014 at 04:37.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm with you. I'm currently filling the gaps with quite capable adapted lenses (Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, WATE, Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar f/2 ZE, Canon 24mm TS-E, etc.) but would love to see something (other than zooms) at the super-wide end and in a medium tele focal length.

For those that are interested you can now download the Loxia leaflet from the SAR link below.

Zeiss posts the Loxia Leaflet. But will announce pricing on September 5th only. | sonyalpharumors
    UPDATE: Zeiss now removed the leaflet and the link leads to an error page.

The plot thickens.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I might sell my Sigma 35 art A mount and get this 35 f2. I would like a lens cap lens which i really dont have.

Right now my plan at least until we hear more announcements it my canon 17 TSE, add the 24 TSE, Add maybe this new 35. Than i have my ZA 85 and 135 which work on both my A77II and A7r . For the A77II i have the Sigma 18-35 and later add a 50 for both cams.

Honestly im in love with having the TSE as i did owning a tech cam i get a lot of options with them and im very fast with them as well.

Also in the back of my mind is a 16-35 and i know the new Canon F4 is getting some nice reviews on it. Maybe better that what Sony announces. This is a question mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post

UPDATE: Zeiss now removed the leaflet and the link leads to an error page.

The plot thickens.

Joe
    Here you go Joe and one and all...I will keep it up as long as Zeiss don't break my balls (Or Guy and Jack wish me to remove it of course) ...I downloaded it in good faith earlier.

Edit new link...
    http://www.alphaforum.net/forum/view...p=95986#p95986
    Last edited by Barry Haines; 1st September 2014 at 10:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here you go Joe and one and all...I will keep it up as long as Zeiss don't break my balls ...I downloaded it in good faith earlier.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/47k8ztgfb...Vd9Y9h8ua?dl=0
    Thanks Barry. We'll await your fate.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Thanks Barry. We'll await your fate.

Joe
    What!!!...You were my accomplice
    Please be mindful guys of my bandwidth...Cheers Barry and Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Phew that was close...The pressure is off me and you (Joe)
    I will remove my dropbox link now

I found it here alphaforum.net • Zeiss

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

35mm $1,299 - 50mm $949, according to sonyalpharumors.
    One interesting line from the press release; "Loxia lenses are optimised for digital full frame sensors and incorporate the approx. 2.5mm thick low pass and infrared filters in front of the sensor in the corresponding Sony cameras." Not sure what they mean by "incorporate" but at least it gives hope that problems with wider angle Biogons might have been addressed.
    Last edited by Steve P.; 2nd September 2014 at 04:07.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The 35 doesn't look bad. The prices on both are a bit higher than expected but they don't look bad. The declick is a good feature for videographers and completely useless to me. It's good that there doesn't have to be a compromise in making one or the other plus they get another native choice less expensive than the Zeiss CINE lenses.

As far as the Aperture speed f/2 is about as slow as I prefer to go on primes for a "body cap" lens (although I do have some f/2.8 and slower lenses) as it's allows just slightly more than ambient light in. I think I may still wait on a native FE 35/1.4 or 35/1.8 especially if they're Sony G or Sony Zeiss branded depending on when I can try one of these out.