Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

I don't know about you guys but I am not impressed at all with what I am seeing in the samples. I will pass for now.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Link to samples. Please
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Link to samples. Please
    50/2: https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlze...7645178720498/

35/2:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlze...7645178252329/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    I don't know about you guys but I am not impressed at all with what I am seeing in the samples. I will pass for now.
    It's kind of hard to make a final impression of the lens without a full size sample. Those are dow-res'd to 2.3 megapixels or so.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure if these are real. The seagull supposedly taken with the 50 has the strangest DoF and the bokeh ahead of the subject plane looks like it was done in PP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very impressive in specs and samples. At last we will see what can be done in lens design by accounting for the exact sensor toppings. Prices many will find acceptable if the performance is there and in respect of the niceties included, closer MFD and durability (resale) of MF lenses.

F2 is emerging as the fast aperture for FE prime lenses, a great choice - and both Sony and CZ will ensure you get top results right from wide open. Three more lenses to come in Loxia...let's hope Zeiss announce their general configuration by P'kina.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    It's kind of hard to make a final impression of the lens without a full size sample. Those are dow-res'd to 2.3 megapixels or so.
    You are correct _but_ that is exactly what my feeling is based on. Few shots do seem to be non-downsized (for example, one named Berlin, first one in 35/2 set). Resolution is listed as 6000x4000 which implies it has been taken with A7. There is nothing sharp about that picture.

There is nothing sharp even about downsized samples even though we know more you downsize more perceived sharpness goes up and some of the worst lenses I have tried on A7R looked very good when downsized to 12 MP which is still twice larger than sizes of majority of samples Zeiss gave.

So if there is nothing sharp about them can you imagine what they would look like taken with A7R and pixel peeped?

Either that or Zeiss has done one of the most incompetent jobs showing off their new wares. However I doubt guys at Zeiss can be called anything even close to incompetent so I doubt it's that even though their decision to not offer A7R resolutions, further downsize majority of samples, and not offer EXIF makes me scratch my head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Not sure if these are real. The seagull supposedly taken with the 50 has the strangest DoF and the bokeh ahead of the subject plane looks like it was done in PP.
    There is no reason to believe these are not real. It's Zeiss account, samples are labeled as coming from lens, and they are same samples used in Zeiss official brochure for that lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    Very impressive in specs and samples.
    phillip_pj, could you please pick any of the samples posted by Zeiss and elaborate what exactly is impressive about it? Could you please point one sharp sample to me? I am not able to find a single one.

Post Thanks / Like

However I doubt guys at Zeiss can be called anything even close to incompetent so I doubt it's that even though their decision to not offer A7R resolutions, further downsize majority of samples, and not offer EXIF makes me scratch my head.
    that's how they did it in the past, and that's how they still do it.
    btw, canon or nikon aren't any better with their teaser pics.
    if the pics would look any good, people would credit it to the magic pp they did with their own top secret software. or just call it a fake.

it's still the same old waiting game, nothing changed, and time will tell...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zoran, I form a view based on the overall impression of lenses' signatures - not being overly concerned with file prep affecting on-screen sharpness, saturation etc.

You will also find that many such establishment sites do not rely on top flight image preparation - because they and in this case, Zeiss, know that users are most interested in the photographic imprint - focus fade, subject depiction, OOF handling, focus selection (close here to illustrate MFD, for example). Some sites post truly awful images as seen at Luminous Landscape, despite often good information. The Loxia images recall the signatures of recent ZE/ZF lenses, to my eyes.

Being a CZ user for many years I know they value photographic content of these kinds over matters like the portrayal of sharpness, etc. We might wish it otherwise of course. ;-)

Now to add some information gained from a Zeiss representative:

“We’ll add to the family in the future with wide-angles and short telephotos. The challenge with these mirrorless cameras is designing an ultra wide angle lens that does not exhibit vignetting, lens shading and the ‘smearing’ effect common when using adapted wide-angle M mount lenses.”

This comes from a tidy website and is written by 'John vR', more here:
    Updated: Zeiss Introduces Loxia Lenses for Sony Full Frame

I provide it because I feel that Zeiss are to some extent waiting and seeing how the uptake of the a7 series goes in general and of course how the reception goes for the Loxias. So - note the plurals used in 'wide angles' and 'telephotos', could be a slip of the tongue of course, but still perhaps not.

They have never been backward in coming forward about the need to match lenses to sensor toppings, and would be keen to put distance between adapted M class lenses and the 'factory' Loxia line, finely tailored for the job.

I like the separate identification of 'vignetting' and 'shading', not many users realise how poorly M lenses perform with respect to optical vignetting before s/w fixes are applied.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really surprised by the choice of focal length. I thought the Sony-Zeiss 35mm and 55mm were pretty good.
    I wonder why Zeiss didn't introduce a wide angle or macro for example. I would have thought that they have also those in their ZM arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

Any of you @7 users already owning the 35 and 55 going for these lenses? Reasons?

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked at the 6000x4000 sample for the 35/2 and was shocked. How on earth can they upload such an unsharp image as a sample for a high quality 1200$ lens??? The Sony 35/2.8 will beat that thing easily, along with a lot of legacy lenses.

I can only hope that the photographer made same serious mistakes. Or maybe it is because it was shot with a not final "prototype" lens.

If this is the quality we can expect, I am deeply disappointed. Another missed chance for the Sony FE System.

Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlze...7645178252329/

Post Thanks / Like

For me these 2 lenses look perfect. I do not care about samples on the Internet, as I trust that Zeiss produces some of the sharpest glass available. Especially as these lenses are based on the M.mount lens design optically.

For me these lenses look mainly as the deal breakers, as I would prefer "fast primes" with high IQ and manual focus only is actually a relief. Supplement these by some nice FE zooms and this makes a perfect system.

I only hope that Sony brings a A8 with 24MP and similar shutter, AF etc. as the A7s. Then I am in this game!

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    I'm really surprised by the choice of focal length. I thought the Sony-Zeiss 35mm and 55mm were pretty good.
    I wonder why Zeiss didn't introduce a wide angle or macro for example. I would have thought that they have also those in their ZM arsenal.
    Pay a visit to the websites linked above in the thread :
    Second a Zeiss official they are targeting two special users of the FE system :
    1) they are targeting videographers (the changing of aperture smoothly without clickable steps and the manual focusing) and they believe that 50mm and 35mm are the two favored focals among videographers.
    2) they are looking for street and travel photographers who are using mainly M lenses and want to offer them what they are accustomed to (MF and zone focusing) with the advantage of modern mirror less camera electronic VF etc. Hence the aperture ring with distance scales. They believe that for street photography and PJ work, the 35mm is the preferred focal length.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    ... I trust that Zeiss produces some of the sharpest glass available ...
    The last time I trusted a camera/lens maker, I ended with the Zeiss-labeled Sony 24-70 F4, the mother of distortion. From that point on, I decided to never buy a lens without checking some extensive tests and reviews prior to buying.

But of course you could be right, Zeiss is not Sony. They have a brand image based entirely of delivering high end lenses. So we can expect that these new FE lenses deliver what we want to see.

I have posted some feedback at the Zeiss Facebook page and asked them for 36mp images made by someone who knows what he's doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Last update what to expect on Photokina

@ Rumors:

A-mount:
    35 1.4(G/ZA)
    70-300G II.

E-mount:
    16-35mm f/4.0 Zeiss
    28-135G Powerzoom
    35mm f/2.0 Loxia (already officially announced)
    50mm f/2.0 Loxia (already officially announced)
    85mm fast prime FE Zeiss (unclear if shown on roadmap or for real)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G43 View Post
    Any of you @7 users already owning the 35 and 55 going for these lenses? Reasons?
    I'm considering the 35 simply because I don't love the 35/2.8 that I currently own. It's a good lens but not anywhere remotely close to what a 35 Summicron ASPH is on my formerly owned M9... Or what my Voigtlander 35/1.2 is for that matter.

The 55 is excellent. I'd have to think long and hard about the 50 Loxia but I do prefer manual focus so there may be room for both.

Post Thanks / Like

You never use the FE55 in manual focus mode?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You never use the FE55 in manual focus mode?
    Gawd no!!! It's focus by wire and that stuff is abysmal at best. I like manual mechanical focus only.

The 55FE is suitable for autofocus. I have a few Leica 50's I manually focus. Ironically one of them is the Zeiss ZM50/2 Planar. It's an excellent performer.

Post Thanks / Like

I get it

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I will stick to the FE55 and 35 but if a 35/1.4 comes out I could be tempted. though it is large and heavy I will stick to the CV35/1.2 v2 as my manual lens on the A7 and A7s. What I would really like (though I doubt it will happen) would be Zeiss manual focus FE lens to the 28 summicron asph, if this appeared I would probably sell the Leica M!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here some more samples with 2/50, taken with A7R, but unfortunately resized to max 6MP:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/berlin...7646730516190/

Andreas

Post Thanks / Like

This is the first time I have been offended by the pricing of Zeiss lenses. I don't normally decry to cost of things because it is all relative and in any case it sounds so childish. But seriously.

The current FE 35/2.8 is, imho, an okay lens with not a lot to recommend it apart from the fact it is FE mount, AF and sharp - so it is a convenient lens for snapping. It does not seem to create images that 'pop', at least not on my A7. I paid GBP 749 when they came out expecting a good lens for the price. I'm not so sure it is that good and in fact it is definitely not a patch on my 40-odd year old Summicron-C 40/2 which cost me a good three hundred pounds less.

Now Zeiss are launching a manual 35, with albeit electronic aperture control and EXIF info, plus auto magnification and they want according the ads I have seen a whopping USD1299 which you can bet will translate into a price close to GBP 1000 in the UK.

To coin a phrase, are they having a laugh? I'm realistic enough to know that this would be a significant sum of money but I think this is way over the top. And given the lack of success - it appears - with the improbably named Touit range you would have thought they had learned their lesson. This is after all a Japanese lens manufacturer with European pretensions.

For that money I'd prefer to pay a tad more (or possibly even less) on an ebay or private sale of a proper Leica pre-asph 35/2.

And in case you think I am a Zeiss troll, I am a big fan of the realistically priced and amazingly good value for money CV 21/1.8 which is an amazing lens.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

Louis

Your objectives are pretty clear. I don't think * Legend* prices are appropriate for these couple of lenses...yet ;-)
    On the other hand if customers find them worth the buck, what can we object unless they suck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zoran, I form a view based on the overall impression of lenses' signatures - not being overly concerned with file prep affecting on-screen sharpness, saturation etc.

You will also find that many such establishment sites do not rely on top flight image preparation - because they and in this case, Zeiss, know that users are most interested in the photographic imprint - focus fade, subject depiction, OOF handling, focus selection (close here to illustrate MFD, for example). Some sites post truly awful images as seen at Luminous Landscape, despite often good information. The Loxia images recall the signatures of recent ZE/ZF lenses, to my eyes.

Being a CZ user for many years I know they value photographic content of these kinds over matters like the portrayal of sharpness, etc. We might wish it otherwise of course. ;-)

Now to add some information gained from a Zeiss representative:

Well add to the family in the future with wide-angles and short telephotos. The challenge with these mirrorless cameras is designing an ultra wide angle lens that does not exhibit vignetting, lens shading and the smearing effect common when using adapted wide-angle M mount lenses.

This comes from a tidy website and is written by 'John vR', more here:
    Updated: Zeiss Introduces Loxia Lenses for Sony Full Frame

I provide it because I feel that Zeiss are to some extent waiting and seeing how the uptake of the a7 series goes in general and of course how the reception goes for the Loxias. So - note the plurals used in 'wide angles' and 'telephotos', could be a slip of the tongue of course, but still perhaps not.

They have never been backward in coming forward about the need to match lenses to sensor toppings, and would be keen to put distance between adapted M class lenses and the 'factory' Loxia line, finely tailored for the job.

I like the separate identification of 'vignetting' and 'shading', not many users realise how poorly M lenses perform with respect to optical vignetting before s/w fixes are applied.
    "Signature", "imprint", "personality", etc ... is that what they nowadays use as excuses for lens that seem to be dull everywhere even when downsized to resolutions of cameras from 14 years ago?

If intention was to deliver lens that (based on samples I have seen so far) in 2014 makes files taken with modern high resolution camera bodies look as if it has been taken with lens designed and made decades ago then they have succeeded in spades. But I don't need to spend $1,300 to achieve that, practically any of the old legacy lenses will do that for much less money. So will any of the software "filters".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was planning to to get quality manual focusing and F2 on 35. Due to samples I have seen I am cancelling those plans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Schmiddi View Post
    Here some more samples with 2/50, taken with A7R, but unfortunately resized to max 6MP:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/berlin...7646730516190/
    Thank you! Unfortunately they keep confirming my first impression. Only F8 shots seem reasonably sharp, and that is after downsizing. F2 do not seem anywhere near to what I am getting from 55/1.8. I wonder how they would really look if they were not downsized.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No. I have the FE 55mm f/1.8 and see no advantage to buying the new 50mm. I sold my FE 35mm and will likey not buy the new 35mm either because I have lenses that cover that focal length quite capably. I'll wait for the next round.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I have not given up yet. Maybe those prototype lenses are not as good as the final ones. Maybe the photographer of these sample images was the secretary of the boss whose photographic experience was her iPhone until now.

I had so many hopes in those Zeiss lenses. I am so sick of these autofocus lenses, I want to go a step back in time to my photographic roots and manual focus, but with top IQ. My experiences with legacy Nikkor lenses were mixed.

If the new FE Zeiss lenses are as mediocre as it seems now, I have to re-think my strategy. Maybe I must put some money in Leica R lenses. From what I've read, they are very good, but extremely overpriced.

And in the end, if nothing works for me, I finally have a reason to buy a Leica M

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasZ View Post
    Maybe those prototype lenses are not as good as the final ones.
    It is extremely unlikely they would be changing "formula" very late in the game and that they would knowingly do something that is against their best interest as posting samples they would be aware are much worse than final production.

Maybe the photographer of these sample images was the secretary of the boss whose photographic experience was her iPhone until now.
    This is extremely unlikely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...Maybe I must put some money in Leica R lenses. From what I've read, they are very good, but extremely overpriced.

And in the end, if nothing works for me, I finally have a reason to buy a Leica M
    Wow! Juxtaposing those two statements caused my screen to explode.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sick of these autofocus lenses, I want to go a step back in time to my photographic roots and manual focus, but with top IQ.
    I really agree with you. I prefer to have the full control throughout the workflow. From idea, capture, PP to final print.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Wow! Juxtaposing those two statements caused my screen to explode.

Joe
    I don't understand what you want to say.

I tried to say that R lenses are extremely pricey for many years old, used lenses. Leica M stuff is expensive too, but at least you get new gear for your money.

Post Thanks / Like

It is extremely unlikely they would be changing "formula" very late in the game and that they would knowingly do something that is against their best interest as posting samples they would be aware are much worse than final production..
    Unfortunately, I think you are right. But hope dies last.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
    35mm $1,299 - 50mm $949, according to sonyalpharumors.
    One interesting line from the press release; "Loxia lenses are optimised for digital full frame sensors and incorporate the approx. 2.5mm thick low pass and infrared filters in front of the sensor in the corresponding Sony cameras." Not sure what they mean by "incorporate" but at least it gives hope that problems with wider angle Biogons might have been addressed.
    This means that the low pass filter and the gap between it and the sensor have been computed in the optical scheme as part of the lens. The published MTF diagrams reflect all the above.
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't care about MTF charts nor marketing speak, I would like to see more of samples. Straight out of camera non-downsized samples taken with neutral profile and no EXIF stripped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't care about MTF charts nor marketing speak, I would like to see more of samples. Straight out of camera non-downsized samples taken with neutral profile and no EXIF stripped.
    Problem is you get marketing and crappy examples with every lens announcement known to man and not to mention MTF charts as well before you see anything worth salt. Unfortunately thats the industry and thats every OEM. Yes i would love to see someone break the mold for sure. Famous line "Patience grasshopper "

Yea I know i have zero amount myself. I am interested in the 35mm but Im at the point with glass either its just freaking outstanding or I won't buy it. Too many second place finishers.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Problem is you get marketing and crappy examples with every lens announcement known to man and not to mention MTF charts as well before you see anything worth salt. Unfortunately thats the industry and thats every OEM.
    Yes, unfortunately that is how things are. But my comment was less about how industry does business and more on many commentators that are dragging "MTF charts" into discussions.

I am interested in the 35mm but Im at the point with glass either its just freaking outstanding or I won't buy it. Too many second place finishers.
    Amen. And that is exactly why I put my credit card back into my wallet. I didn't see anything even close to outstanding in those samples.

Post Thanks / Like

Some claims to be able to tell how a lens renders by looking at MTF curves. I am not there yet

But let's just take look at the MTF of the RX1 Biogon 35 F2 and compare it with the Loxia 35 MTF as presented by Zeiss, then the RX1 35 Biogon wipes the floor under the Loxia. Please Google gentlemen

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

If this is the case Lloyd's ZM seems made of bottoms of beer glasses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First up, Guy, you should be happy with the latest rumor of a high Mp A mount:
    (SR3) More tidbits about the Full Frame 45-46 megapixel (A-mount?) camera! | sonyalpharumors

We all agree this is the next move for DSLR and RX1 in Sony land.

Loxias - You have to remember these are very old designs - Planar and Biogon, and Zeiss are earning kudos for what they have done: a lot of modern niceties to bring manual focus lenses into the modern fold, with improved digitally-tuned performance, to use a bit of PR speak!

MTF has its challenges, but this site has side-by-side images of each Loxia and its predecessor ZM, both from wayback machine in Leica M days of yore:

자이스 Loxia는 ZM 대비 화질 개*이 미흡. BH포*에서는 예약 주문 진행 중 | DicaHub

fast translation: better everywhere. For corners and edges look at the lines above the bottom axis with numbers around 15 to 20. The Planar outer frame dive is no more! Its distortion is almost zero, and its image centre fine detail lines are now ultra!

Biogon (top set of graphs) is similar at f2, then *really delivers* at f5.6, esp at image centre where it is so good I want to see it against the RX1. Corners are overall better too, some astigmatism, these days well handled by design and glass matching. The final bugbear of M class lenses - severe light fall-off - is still around, being a design characteristic. Zeiss worry much less about vignetting, even in Distagons.

At Lloyd's site, *carefully focused corner sample* from the ZM shows just how bad things go when you insist on using film era huge beam angles (ray angle) in lenses, then put them on a modern digital sensor, and how well Zeiss did fixing the problem. Now we are back to where we should be - lenses being designed for cameras, not the other way around, as a fudge.

I doubt anyone will be very disappointed, after the brouhaha settles down and real shooters mount them eagerly on the a7 cameras. Good prices too, overall, for what you get. All just opinions.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I saw that, will see what that may become in the coming weeks. I'm ruling nothing out. I would actually like to see if there is a upgrade to the FE mount first. I can't use my TSE lens on a A mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I doubt anyone will be very disappointed, after the brouhaha settles down and real shooters mount them eagerly on the a7 cameras.
    So anybody that doesn't "eagerly" find them all that and a bag of chips is in advance dismissively labeled as "not a real shooter"? Whatever

Post Thanks / Like

Ken and Philip:
    Thanks for the links. Of course as everyone knows we can't count our chickens before they're hatched but just imagining having our own line up of Zeiss manual focus classic lenses makes me feel like a kid before Christmas.
    Fingers crossed,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

If this is the case Lloyd's ZM seems made of bottoms of beer glasses.
    Actually the problem is not the ZM glass but it is due to the presence of a rather thick filter on top of the sensor. From a Zeiss paper discussing the interaction between the Biogons and the digital sensor:

"If the filter is significantly thicker (compared to the ones on digital Leica's) , the contrast transfer for the image edge becomes worse for tangential structures. In the graph of the curves (MTF), this looks like the old retrofocus lenses but is caused by astigmatism rather than lateral chromatic aberration. The focus is shifted to greater distances for tangential structures by the additional path through the glass."
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net

Post Thanks / Like

I was merely joking a bit...

Clearly only a few 'made for film' lenses are usable for digital FF sensors. Those that does work pretty well are typically tele lenses.