The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

dwood

And aside from new glass, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony announces a new high-end body or two soon. They've been aggressive on the development front for the last couple of years, and I suspect that will continue.

Barry Haines

That's true Guy, and another big plus is they're all native E mount which takes any potential mount adapter issues off the table.
The flip side of that coin is you can't use them on anything but Sony!

_______

Doug...And aside from new glass, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony announces a new high-end body or two soon. They've been aggressive on the development front for the last couple of years, and I suspect that will continue.

This maybe it... (SR3) Surprise: There is a high resolution Sony camera ready to be shown at Photokina? | sonyalpharumors

______

I have not heard it mentioned here before but has nobody else wondered (Other than me) that the name "Loxia" was deliberately chosen because it resembled "Leica" and not bird genera?
i.e. It's a five lettered word starting in (L) ending in (a) with an (i) inbetween?
Wiki list 2153 bird genera List of bird genera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and nothing else gets even close.
Genus "TOUIT", Genus "OTUS", Genus "LOXIA" and Genus "RAPHUS" (Dodos) maybe not. :D

iiiNelson

Certainly will and not to get so focused on Zeiss but we have Sigma, Sony itself getting the FE line filled out. Going to be very interesting and exciting to see what we do as end users on our choices.
Yeah there's still the rumored 85/1.8 FE that's supposed to be coming.

Steve P.

FE lens mount lens attached to an adapter isn't going on any FF camera that I know of.
Barry, you do realise I was joking about the adapter I hope. The big blue winking emoticon I posted at the end of the sentence was a bit of a hint in that direction. My apologies if I've misread the nature of your reply. Truth to tell, I thought you were joining in on the joke. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Barry Haines

Barry, you do realise I was joking about the adapter I hope. The big blue winking emoticon I posted at the end of the sentence was a bit of a hint in that direction. My apologies if I've misread the nature of your reply. Truth to tell, I thought you were joining in on the joke. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
I knew that you knew that Steve hence the like...I was just being equally cynical :p

Barry Haines

Fair enough, Barry. Just wanted to be sure. You're not the first person who's had to explain things to me in simple terms that I can understand!:)
None the less we still have to be clear to others who are not as smart as us two ;) ...That a square peg ain't going through a round hole (at least not without an adapter :ROTFL: )...Cheers Barry

Annna T

______

I have not heard it mentioned here before but has nobody else wondered (Other than me) that the name "Loxia" was deliberately chosen because it resembled "Leica" and not bird genera?
i.e. It's a five lettered word starting in (L) ending in (a) with an (i) inbetween?
Wiki list 2153 bird genera List of bird genera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and nothing else gets even close.
Genus "TOUIT", Genus "OTUS", Genus "LOXIA" and Genus "RAPHUS" (Dodos) maybe not. :D
I have been wondering about that name too. But the X in the middle is so strong that I didn't think to Leica..

My first association was with luxuriös..and Luxus. (Not announcing better news than the association with Leica for the price).

Then I wondered about a possible signification for each letter, but didn't come to any sensed hypotheses.

L : light, leicht, Licht (are they fast or small and light ?)
O : optic, optical, Optik,
X : extreme, extrême, extremely, excellent, .. many things supposed to be of higher IQ or offering better performances include an X in the model name.
I : interchangeable
A : all, alpha (like the alpha 7)

But the sequence of the letters don't make sense..unless : light optics of excellent quality for interchangeable Alpha bodies.. Mm mm not very convincing.

Barry Haines

I have been wondering about that name too. But the X in the middle is so strong that I didn't think to Leica..

My first association was with luxuriös..and Luxus. (Not announcing better news than the association with Leica for the price).

Then I wondered about a possible signification for each letter, but didn't come to any sensed hypotheses.

L : light, leicht, Licht (are they fast or small and light ?)
O : optic, optical, Optik,
X : extreme, extrême, extremely, excellent, .. many things supposed to be of higher IQ or offering better performances include an X in the model name.
I : interchangeable
A : all, alpha (like the alpha 7)

But the sequence of the letters don't make sense..unless : light optics of excellent quality for interchangeable Alpha bodies.. Mm mm not very convincing.

Apologies Annna T, having reread what I wrote earlier I have phrased it very badly indeed (that's my fault, sorry for wasting your time). It is obviously bird genera names because that makes sense with Touit and Otus (I think we would all come up with different words spelling out the letters from LOXIA). The point I am now trying to get over was that out of 2153 bird genera names on the Wiki link, Zeiss came up with something that partly resembled LEICA IMHO (nothing else came even close). I think they planned to do this all along when the TOUIT and then the OTUS came out with subliminal marketing as Leica represents quality. Not that it matters, I was just curious if others here have had the same thought.

Edit. PS. Strange but I also had LUXUS (Leica gold plated camera) flash up in my mind at one point.

Last edited:

turtle

LOXIA probably means 'made up marketing babble'.

I suspect that Zeiss recognises the FE mount has a very bright future and will produce a very impressive line of lenses. Sure, some will be better than others (as per ZM line up), but that's normal.

I hope the 85mm f1.8 from Sony will not be like a longer 55mm, as I'd be hoping for something less clinical for portrait use. Soft corners, at the few stops is fine by me, along with beautiful bokeh and imperfect sharpness wide open. I heard they got stung with the ZE/ZF2 85 1.4 because they designed it for portrait users and to be sharp stopped down and people complained it was not sharp enough wide open. Like you shoot landscapes at f1.4....

Personally, I am itching for the 18 and 24/25mm offerings.

iiiNelson

LOXIA probably means 'made up marketing babble'.

I suspect that Zeiss recognises the FE mount has a very bright future and will produce a very impressive line of lenses. Sure, some will be better than others (as per ZM line up), but that's normal.

I hope the 85mm f1.8 from Sony will not be like a longer 55mm, as I'd be hoping for something less clinical for portrait use. Soft corners, at the few stops is fine by me, along with beautiful bokeh and imperfect sharpness wide open. I heard they got stung with the ZE/ZF2 85 1.4 because they designed it for portrait users and to be sharp stopped down and people complained it was not sharp enough wide open. Like you shoot landscapes at f1.4....

Personally, I am itching for the 18 and 24/25mm offerings.
I kind of expect the 85/1.8 (if it is even true) to be a "85 Otus light" (if that's even in the works) sort of like the 55FE is kinda a "55 Otus light."

As for the Loxia name it's either a marketing ploy or someone at Zeiss potentially has an unhealthy obsession with birds.

ZoranC

I don't understand dismisivness in some of the posts. None of such posters had these lenses in their hands, one doesn't know how they will be performing.

philip_pj

Brian Smith reports that Zeiss have been working on the Loxias since the release of the a7/a7r...he has to play his cards close to his chest, but what it might mean is they are very good.

I really like that they are only for FE - Zeiss owes us, there was no 'ZA' of the ZE/ZF range remember, so these are the first dedicated manual focus lenses by them for Sony. Like the FE primes, if you want 'em - buy Sony!

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Flash back in time, I remember well when Sony took over Konica Minolta. In 2008 I was hard pressed for my future camera equippment decision, coming from Olympus E1 originally, then E3 and unhappy with that development.

I was torn between MFDB, Nikon, Canon and Sony, and I chose Sony because I was reasonably certain they would continue to shake up the market with more innovations after the A900.... and bloody well they did! It was a little bit like placing a bet on the stock market. :D

Tim

Why do you want so fast lenses ? Given the format and the excellent sensor, I would prefer smaller and lighter lenses. So F2.8 is really sufficient on the A7 series. Smaller lighter lenses make more sense on these small portable bodies. They would be perfect for travel and PJ type of photography.
Could not agree more. I really hope there is a 20-21mm coming with this lot. F2.8 will be fine for me.