The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

ThomasZ

Does anybody have an explanation why they selected the 35 and 50mm focal length? That seems to be the most stupid business decision ever. The FE lens lineup is full of giant holes, but Zeiss decided to build exactly the two lenses that already exist as native FE primes. I don't get it.

Steve P.

Does anybody have an explanation why they selected the 35 and 50mm focal length? That seems to be the most stupid business decision ever. The FE lens lineup is full of giant holes, but Zeiss decided to build exactly the two lenses that already exist as native FE primes. I don't get it.
There's an assumption that because Sony have a lens making partnership with Zeiss that the two separate companies should share a strategic partnership as well. I wish it were so but I don't think it is. It would certainly be better for the end user not to have these annoying overlaps when there are some glaring holes in the lens line up but I think Zeiss are targetting the focal lengths they believe will be most popular. Part of the rumours circulating about Loxia is that the range will extend to at least five lenses. Hopefully Photokina will give us a better idea of what these may be and when we may expect them. Don't forget also that without the need for an autofocus motor in the lens, they should be able to make faster aperture lenses with little or no size penalty in relation to Sony's own AF lenses.

Annna T

I hope it isn't because wide angle with sharp corners are too difficult to issue, given the short flange distance (see the legacy Biogon problems).

Michiel Schierbeek

They can go the Distagon way. No issues with my C/Y Distagon lenses. The 2.8 lenses are not to big (except the 21) but a good not to big 24/2.8 must be possible. It will be just a bit longer then C/Y versions. The 18/4 Distagon is actually rather small, but that is possibly to slow for most people. Not for me if it is a good lens.

Steve P.

They can go the Distagon way. No issues with my C/Y Distagon lenses. The 2.8 lenses are not to big (except the 21) but a good not to big 24/2.8 must be possible. It will be just a bit longer then C/Y versions. The 18/4 Distagon is actually rather small, but that is possibly to slow for most people. Not for me if it is a good lens.
Thanks Michiel, you made me feel a little better after Annna T's nasty shock.:)
I've always been pleased with the performance of my VM 15mm on the GXR-M, despite a max aperture of f4.5 and I think with the high iso capabilities of the A7s, f4 is even more versatile in use than ever.

Annna T

The Loxia lenses specifications are out at Sony Alpha Rumors

Mmm the 35mm F2 is a Biogon design. But they say that the design has been optimized for the A7 series cameras. Among else, their aim was also to create light lenses (hurray !) They are also announcing "High quality images thanks to proven optical design."

Now we will have to see how much is marketing only and how much us true.. And whether they were really able to adapt the Biogon design to the A7r sensor.. Let's hope that they will hold their promises.

jlm

Workshop Member
interesting:
option aperture lock?
gasket at the lens mount
mag function comes up when focusing

my sony 55/f1.8 weighs 290 g (zeiss f2.0 is 320g), the sony 35/f2.8 is 135g (Zeiss f2.0 is 340g)

are these only manual focus, manual aperture?

Barry Haines

For those that are interested you can now download the Loxia leaflet from the SAR link below.

Zeiss posts the Loxia Leaflet. But will announce pricing on September 5th only. | sonyalpharumors

Regards the size Joe, they would have to be that much longer than a Leica M lens because the FE mount is that much closer to the sensor than what it is on a M camera (something would have to make up the difference - You can only reduce the design by so much).
The diameter of the FE/E mount is slightly greater than a Leica M mount to start with, I doubt there would be much call for conical shaped lenses just to achieve a (Leica) 39mm thread (cosmetically it is less appealing)...Hope that helps...Cheers Barry

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7792

I'm with you. I'm currently filling the gaps with quite capable adapted lenses (Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, WATE, Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar f/2 ZE, Canon 24mm TS-E, etc.) but would love to see something (other than zooms) at the super-wide end and in a medium tele focal length.

For those that are interested you can now download the Loxia leaflet from the SAR link below.

Zeiss posts the Loxia Leaflet. But will announce pricing on September 5th only. | sonyalpharumors
UPDATE: Zeiss now removed the leaflet and the link leads to an error page.

The plot thickens.

Joe

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I might sell my Sigma 35 art A mount and get this 35 f2. I would like a lens cap lens which i really dont have.

Right now my plan at least until we hear more announcements it my canon 17 TSE, add the 24 TSE, Add maybe this new 35. Than i have my ZA 85 and 135 which work on both my A77II and A7r . For the A77II i have the Sigma 18-35 and later add a 50 for both cams.

Honestly im in love with having the TSE as i did owning a tech cam i get a lot of options with them and im very fast with them as well.

Also in the back of my mind is a 16-35 and i know the new Canon F4 is getting some nice reviews on it. Maybe better that what Sony announces. This is a question mark

Steve P.

35mm $1,299 - 50mm $949, according to sonyalpharumors.
One interesting line from the press release; "Loxia lenses are optimised for digital full frame sensors and incorporate the approx. 2.5mm thick low pass and infrared filters in front of the sensor in the corresponding Sony cameras." Not sure what they mean by "incorporate" but at least it gives hope that problems with wider angle Biogons might have been addressed.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

The 35 doesn't look bad. The prices on both are a bit higher than expected but they don't look bad. The declick is a good feature for videographers and completely useless to me. It's good that there doesn't have to be a compromise in making one or the other plus they get another native choice less expensive than the Zeiss CINE lenses.

As far as the Aperture speed f/2 is about as slow as I prefer to go on primes for a "body cap" lens (although I do have some f/2.8 and slower lenses) as it's allows just slightly more than ambient light in. I think I may still wait on a native FE 35/1.4 or 35/1.8 especially if they're Sony G or Sony Zeiss branded depending on when I can try one of these out.