Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 185

Thread: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    They will supposedly be named the Loxia line. No rumored specs yet and of course many are upset they are manual focus only. If it keeps the size of the lenses down while providing some larger aperture "Otus like" native goodness then I'm all for it. Outside the 55FE I generally only use Contax or M glass anyway.

    (SR5) Zeiss will soon announce the new “Loxia” lens line for Sony Full Frame E-mount! | sonyalpharumors
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Sounds great to me. I have all MF on the Sony A7r. Counting the days to Photokina and what may be announced.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    wtf? a lens with a focus ring and and aperture ring?

    with the benefit of peaking and focus mag in the viewfinder?

    sounds ideal
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    ... and of course many are upset they are manual focus only.
    ... and that leaves me scratching my head. Who in their right mind would complain about high quality manual focusing lens (as long as it has refined mechanical linkage)? It is actually AF lenses with fly-by-wire focusing that leave me very unhappy.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    ... and that leaves me scratching my head. Who in their right mind would complain about high quality manual focusing lens (as long as it has refined mechanical linkage)? It is actually AF lenses with fly-by-wire focusing that leave me very unhappy.
    Agreed. I thought there was a large number of people adapting lenses to the FE bodies. The outrage over the manual lenses and no AF makes me think people simply haven't tried it to see how easy it truly is to manually focus.

    Manual mechanical focusing is about the only thing (along with a distance scale) that I would add to the 55 FE to make it "perfect."
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    The outrage over the manual lenses and no AF makes me think people simply haven't tried it to see how easy it truly is to manually focus.
    When I read such comments I always have impression bunch of yahoos with no serious photography experience got hold of keyboard in firm belief (hallucination) that few arrogant flippant posts indicate they are smart and important when truth is they are inexperienced and ignorant.

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Manual mechanical focusing is about the only thing (along with a distance scale) that I would add to the 55 FE to make it "perfect."
    Amen. My 55/1.8 renders much better wide open than my Leica 50R but using R is pure pleasure while using 55 often frustrates me (AF is not 100% reliable and fly-by-wire MF is frustrating). 55/1.4 Zeiss that would be at least same image quality as FE55 wide open with refined manual focus and full EXIF info? I say bring it on.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    We need to remember these are just offerings from Zeiss itself. This has nothing to do what Sony will announce or for that matter Samyang, Sigma , Tamron and others for the FE mount. Not to mention A mounts announced that can work with FE cams.

    Here is the key here and its awesome is that others outside of Sony itself believe the FE mount is a viable product and Sony will expand on it. This is all great news for us the end user.

    One big reason I like the A mount Zeiss glass outside of having AF capability but there ability to have really really good manual focus. Key word on manual focus is feel. Most AF lenses have absolutely no manual focus feel to them.

    This just gives us a lot more options of what you chose to shoot with. Anyone not recognizing that is not thinking straight.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    We need to remember these are just offerings from Zeiss itself. This has nothing to do what Sony will announce or for that matter Samyang, Sigma , Tamron and others for the FE mount. Not to mention A mounts announced that can work with FE cams.

    Here is the key here and its awesome is that others outside of Sony itself believe the FE mount is a viable product and Sony will expand on it. This is all great news for us the end user.

    One big reason I like the A mount Zeiss glass outside of having AF capability but there ability to have really really good manual focus. Key word on manual focus is feel. Most AF lenses have absolutely no manual focus feel to them.

    This just gives us a lot more options of what you chose to shoot with. Anyone not recognizing that is not thinking straight.
    Agreed and pretty much what I stated over at SAR. This is just the Zeiss contribution and I have no doubts Sony will introduce more value priced lenses as well as the generally excellent Sony G lenses. People like to freak out though and complain when what they think they want isn't offered. The system is still less than a year old and some are expecting a full range immediately.

    It takes time and a lot of the issue is perception which sadly extends to the A-mount line as well. I agree that AF can be useful but fast and small (without adapters) is as well.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    This just gives us a lot more options of what you chose to shoot with. Anyone not recognizing that is not thinking straight.
    Thinking straight was never a strong point of general "board posting" population out there. Thankfully Zeiss does understand market they cater to.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    The system is still less than a year old and some are expecting a full range immediately.
    I don't pay attention to noise from "armchair analysts". Lot of the time I have feeling vast majority of them are coming from "my favorite kind of photography is gear talk splicing hairs" camp, or "if I put down everybody else's system I will feel better about myself" camp, or "I shill for brand A so I need to spread FUD about other brand(s)" camp.

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I agree that AF can be useful but fast and small (without adapters) is as well.
    I use both AF and MF lenses as there is a right place and time for either one (as long as they perform as they should).

  11. #11
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    I use both as well. They both have a place in both my personal work and my professional work. I would prefer lenses like the A mount 85, 135 and such as they have very nice AF but also have feel for MF as well and I can chose which I want to use. I hated Nikon, Canon AF lens because on manual focus they have no feel at all. Its like spinning a wheel instead of turning something. Hard to explain in words
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I hated Nikon, Canon AF lens because on manual focus they have no feel at all. Its like spinning a wheel instead of turning something. Hard to explain in words
    I know what you mean. Combine that with short focus throw on many of them and you have recipe for being very unhappy as you keep trying to get exact focus that keeps eluding you. But lens that has well thought out / designed manual focus is mmmmm finger lickin' good.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    "FE" line
    Can't be adapted to any other mount, because it won't focus at infinity with added adapter.

    ZE line
    Can't be adapted to Nikon Bodys, because it won't focus at infinity with added adapter. No Aperture Ring.

    ZF2 line
    Can be adapted to Canon and sony w/o any issues. Aperture Ring helps to keep adapters simple and cheap.

    Or am I missing something?
    ZF2 seems like the safest bet here...



    Edit:
    umm, size might matter!?

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn View Post
    "FE" line
    Can't be adapted to any other mount, because it won't focus at infinity with added adapter.

    ZE line
    Can't be adapted to Nikon Bodys, because it won't focus at infinity with added adapter. No Aperture Ring.

    ZF2 line
    Can be adapted to Canon and sony w/o any issues. Aperture Ring helps to keep adapters simple and cheap.

    Or am I missing something?
    ZF2 seems like the safest bet here...



    Edit:
    umm, size might matter!?
    Yeah... You're missing the fact that FE lenses wouldn't need to be adapted to anything except. You're missing the convenience of having all your and automatically lens profile corrections being performed in one click plus EXIF data intact.

    You're also missing the fact some hate the backwards Nikon controls on the aperture although Fuji users probably wouldn't mind. Some people seem to think Nikon's financial woes may be a bit more serious than some people may want to believe.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    ZE and ZF lenses are heavy duty DSLR lenses, I respectfully suggest they work best on the C/N platforms. The 35/2 Distagon for example, is heavier than the a7r body.

    These are indeed now fading into the rich and illustrious history of Zeiss, being as several are warmed over versions of Contax Yashica predecessors - 85/1.4P, 50/1.4P, 21/2.8D. The real standouts are the recent releases: the 15/2.8 D, 135/2 S, 25/2 D.

    Which is why lens aficionados are so interested in the FE lenses - these are aimed squarely at Leica users, still smarting at the big sensor 'smearing' their M lenses, actually designs with huge beam angles causing problems never before seen, due to the expertise Leica developed in profiling them into orderliness.

    Sony correctly attended first to the low-mid needs for lenses, these new ones are expected to be Zeiss rising to the challenge - their natural target body is the a7r, obviously.

    Some think they will be warmed over ZM lenses with a more sensor friendly exit pupil placement. I don't agree, and feel we will see something special, a continuation of the recent output: the three mentioned above, the fine Touits (the 50mm macro is excellent), and the Otus. So more of a scaled down in size, high end set of five lenses.

    The best part is Zeiss have very close-coupled technical relations with Sony's sensor team, which is much better than the distant target of C/N in the last FF series - they know just what is required in the LOXIAs and are already doing pre-release PR = confidence! They might cost...

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    I just hope they are affordable. If they take ZM prices and tack electronics mark up on top, these are going to be very expensive lenses. Oh and Zeiss, for heavens sake, release first the missing holes in the line up, the 18/25/85 lenses. If the first they release are the 50mm and 35mm it will be a real big shame.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  17. #17
    Senior Member Slingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    I can't wait to see what Zeiss come up with. The name is encouraging, that they will be small. I have the ZF planar 50/1.4 and while the lack of sharpness means it doesn't compete at all with my FE 55/1.8, it is my favourite lens. It's a joy to focus but I'm sure these new lens will put it to shame again in sharpness but also be a lot more expensive.

  18. #18
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    I'm really hoping there max price would be 1500 on them. But love to see a good 28 F 2 since we really don't have a great 28 to chose from right now. Will see but I am excited about this announcement. Now get me a awesome replacement for my 85 1.4 and 135 1.8 and make my day.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Yeah my Contax 85 is pretty darn good so if it at least compares to it then I can sell with little reservation. I'm hoping for a faster 135 and a really good fast 18-25mm lens that's at least f/2.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Yeah... You're missing the fact that FE lenses wouldn't need to be adapted to anything except. You're missing the convenience of having all your and automatically lens profile corrections being performed in one click plus EXIF data intact.

    You're also missing the fact some hate the backwards Nikon controls on the aperture although Fuji users probably wouldn't mind. Some people seem to think Nikon's financial woes may be a bit more serious than some people may want to believe.
    Ah, thanks.
    Some pretty expensive "features", in the long term.

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn View Post
    Ah, thanks.
    Some pretty expensive "features", in the long term.
    Maybe but if one were to stick with FE then it's just investing in the native system.

    It's not like all mirrorless users are adamant about adapting lenses. I did with Micro 4/3 and E-mount while lenses were being developed but once they were I bought the native lenses that performed well for my uses. It seems people ask for more lenses, the company produces some, and then people just aren't happy for this reason or another. I'm actually pretty excited because it seems Sony is taking a Panasonic like Micro 4/3 approach of supporting the FE cameras with quality first and budget lenses second.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  22. #22
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    seems like all the zeiss, C/V and leica M M-mount lenses are ideal candidates for a native E mount; the optics are already developed. so what is new with the Lorax stuff?

  23. #23
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    seems like all the zeiss, C/V and leica M M-mount lenses are ideal candidates for a native E mount; the optics are already developed. so what is new with the Lorax stuff?
    Most legacy RF lenses wider than 35mm exhibit problems on the A7 series, save for a few ones.

    Zeiss will have winers if they are able to design lenses as compact and light as the legacy Zeiss Contax G lenses, but with clear corners (without smearing and magenta corners) and given what is available in legacy glass, they should start with wides (28mm, 24mm and 21mm). I hope that they go for light and compact, ultra sharp, but for me, an opening at F2.8 is enough..
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Looks like what we expected to happen may happen and the first 2 lenses may be a 35/2 and 50/2. I don't mind that provided all 5 new lenses are released simultaneously. If not I agree with Ben that they should fill the gaps first (UWA and Telephoto.)

    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-f...0mm-f2-0-lens/
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Looks like what we expected to happen may happen and the first 2 lenses may be a 35/2 and 50/2. I don't mind that provided all 5 new lenses are released simultaneously. If not I agree with Ben that they should fill the gaps first (UWA and Telephoto.)

    (SR5) First Zeiss Loxia will be a 35mm f/2.0 and 50mm f/2.0 lens. | sonyalpharumors
    Just saw the SAR post too. While I can understand why Zeiss might release a 35 and 50 first from a market standpoint, I'd just kill for a 21/2.

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    Just saw the SAR post too. While I can understand why Zeiss might release a 35 and 50 first from a market standpoint, I'd just kill for a 21/2.
    Yeah I agree on the dream of a Zeiss 21/2 and 135/2 for that matter for FE mount. I don't understand why the 35 isn't a f/1.4 as I would buy it if it were more than likely and get rid of my 35/2.8 FE.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  27. #27
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Yeah I agree on the dream of a Zeiss 21/2 and 135/2 for that matter for FE mount. I don't understand why the 35 isn't a f/1.4 as I would buy it if it were more than likely and get rid of my 35/2.8 FE.
    Why do you want so fast lenses ? Given the format and the excellent sensor, I would prefer smaller and lighter lenses. So F2.8 is really sufficient on the A7 series. Smaller lighter lenses make more sense on these small portable bodies. They would be perfect for travel and PJ type of photography.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Yes, we want small wide angles with no issues! It is a pitty they start to run hot on the 35 and 50 of which we have so many choices already. But anyway it is a good start, I hope.

  29. #29
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Why do you want so fast lenses ? Given the format and the excellent sensor, I would prefer smaller and lighter lenses. So F2.8 is really sufficient on the A7 series. Smaller lighter lenses make more sense on these small portable bodies. They would be perfect for travel and PJ type of photography.
    To quote Ricky Bobby - "I JUST WANNA GO FAST!!!"

    I rather have the speed and not need it and I try to shoot at the lowest ISO as possible. High ISO is fine for me when there's no other choice but to bump it up but I often shoot in dim to low light conditions so fast lenses (f/2 or faster) are a huge benefit for me. I'm a larger sized guy, I have large hands, I often shoot with a grip on at least one of my bodies as well so I don't mind a little weight most of the times. I may still replace my 35/2.8 with the 35/2 though (if the rumor is true.) Focus by wire is horrible but the 55 is good enough that I deal with it.

    That's not to say that I don't mind a slower lens (f/4 or whatever) in a zoom but I like my primes fast. Just personal preference and an area where I think the A7/A7r/A7s can continue to be a true Leica M replacement in performance for me. I think there's room for both but given the choice I generally prefer to have the faster primes first because you can always stop down but faster apertures require another lens.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    I am definitely welcoming 35/2 and will definitely replace my 35/2.8 with it as long as desired image quality is there. I do want one extra stop (for both speed and DOF reasons), I am not happy with optical performance of 35/2.8 and I do want real great quality manual focus.

    50/2 makes less sense to me unless there is something special about it. It is too early to dismiss it, we need to see it first.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Now get me a awesome replacement for my 85 1.4 and 135 1.8 and make my day.
    Guy.. why would you exchange two of the best lenses in the world with anything else?

  32. #32
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    To quote Ricky Bobby - "I JUST WANNA GO FAST!!!"

    I rather have the speed and not need it and I try to shoot at the lowest ISO as possible. High ISO is fine for me when there's no other choice but to bump it up but I often shoot in dim to low light conditions so fast lenses (f/2 or faster) are a huge benefit for me. I'm a larger sized guy, I have large hands, I often shoot with a grip on at least one of my bodies as well so I don't mind a little weight most of the times. I may still replace my 35/2.8 with the 35/2 though (if the rumor is true.) Focus by wire is horrible but the 55 is good enough that I deal with it.

    That's not to say that I don't mind a slower lens (f/4 or whatever) in a zoom but I like my primes fast. Just personal preference and an area where I think the A7/A7r/A7s can continue to be a true Leica M replacement in performance for me. I think there's room for both but given the choice I generally prefer to have the faster primes first because you can always stop down but faster apertures require another lens.
    I understand your reasons for needing fast primes, but then, if weight/size aren't a concern for you, why not staying with a larger body and system as well ? The bigger lenses would be better balanced. The logic of the A7 series is to go small, so sacrificing one stop in exchange of it makes more sense IMO, providing there is no compromises in matters of IQ.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    A strange move in marketing terms - one that Sony may rue, depending on how the release schedule rolls out. The 35/2 cannot replace what the RX1 can do, and the 50/2 is as near to superfluous as it's possible to get, there being a small and faster lens universally acknowledged as very good indeed.

    In two years time it will work well for them of course. I was hoping that being a partner to Sony, Zeiss would stage releases to complement the FE lenses.

    Back when the ZE lenses appeared in 2006-07 (yes, that long ago!) they kicked off with the 50/1.4 and 85/1.4, both older CY designs with modern coatings etc. Then came the 35/2, the ill-fated 25/2.8 and the two fine makros of 50mm and 100mm. So the early ones were around the middle of the focal length range.

    I believe these will need to be better in the corners than the ZM copies people are talking about, hence newer designs are likely. Neither of these ZMs are very good at image height of 20mm and 'the punisher' a7r would work them over harder than a 20 year old Mike Tyson in round one.

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I understand your reasons for needing fast primes, but then, if weight/size aren't a concern for you, why not staying with a larger body and system as well ? The bigger lenses would be better balanced. The logic of the A7 series is to go small, so sacrificing one stop in exchange of it makes more sense IMO, providing there is no compromises in matters of IQ.
    You asked him why _he_ wants fast lens. He answered you why _he_ wants fast lens. It seems to me you want to push on him _your_ opinion, that he should want what you want.

    P.S. It doesn't make sense to me to move one step forward in sensor ISO performance just to give that one step back by going with one step slower lens. It's as if one is not interested to get forward. But hey, that's just me, and if that works for others that's good for them, they can keep 35/2.8, I will get 35/2, thank God it's a free world with freedom of choice.

  35. #35
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Personally I just like fast glass. Viewing for one, bokeh is nicer and most times a lens performs better 2 stops down from the widest aperture a f4 becomes a good F 8 but a good 1.4 becomes a good 2.8. That plus if your trying to get maximum IQ not matter what lower ISO will provide that. But if want smaller lighter lenses than the slower lenses are it. Here is the issue we need the choices to start with. I'm cocktail induced. Lol

    Just got to the beach and had a few libations. Man I needed that. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #36
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Adding that...Zeiss have committed to five lenses in FE, and with these two at near normal FLs, that severely restricts what else they are intending to do. I seriously hope they include two wide angles lenses in the three slots that remain!

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    ... most times a lens performs better 2 stops down from the widest aperture a f4 becomes a good F 8 but a good 1.4 becomes a good 2.8.
    ... which is a big benefit of faster glass many are forgetting about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    if your trying to get maximum IQ not matter what lower ISO will provide that.
    ... and if you do need high ISO badly then faster glass will give you more room to work with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Here is the issue we need the choices to start with.
    ... and that for me is most exciting part of this news, that ball is starting to roll, cause more choices = more competition = more progress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm cocktail induced. Just got to the beach and had a few libations. Man I needed that.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    Adding that...Zeiss have committed to five lenses in FE, and with these two at near normal FLs, that severely restricts what else they are intending to do. I seriously hope they include two wide angles lenses in the three slots that remain!
    I think guess is easy: 25, 28 and 85.

  40. #40
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I understand your reasons for needing fast primes, but then, if weight/size aren't a concern for you, why not staying with a larger body and system as well ? The bigger lenses would be better balanced. The logic of the A7 series is to go small, so sacrificing one stop in exchange of it makes more sense IMO, providing there is no compromises in matters of IQ.
    Adding a couple of ounces to a lens is a lot lighter than adding a couple of pounds to a camera body then adding heavier SLR lenses to that equation. That being said I do use some SLR primes with the grip. The A7 sensors are still at or near the top of the heap for 35mm sensors I just want to add the option of having some of the best fast lenses available. If small and slow were all that mattered then there are plenty of options in other systems but as others say - choice is good and I think there's room for both. I don't see the benefit of releasing lenses 1/3 a stop slower or one stop faster than what's available when there are holes to fill. I'd understand it a bit more if they were giving up the speed options.

    Some are angry these lenses don't offer AF. Fast manual focus mirrorless lenses don't have to be large though. The 55FE is a respectable size and pretty close in size to a 50 Lux. My CV 35/1.2 is a large RF lens but isn't ungainly on an A7 body.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  41. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Personally I just like fast glass. Viewing for one, bokeh is nicer and most times a lens performs better 2 stops down from the widest aperture a f4 becomes a good F 8 but a good 1.4 becomes a good 2.8. That plus if your trying to get maximum IQ not matter what lower ISO will provide that. But if want smaller lighter lenses than the slower lenses are it. Here is the issue we need the choices to start with. I'm cocktail induced. Lol

    Just got to the beach and had a few libations. Man I needed that. Lol
    this is a very good point. im using leica MATE (F4) on my XE1 and A6000. the EVF is close to useless when stopped down to F8 and try to get a sunset shot. or try to do a indoor shot in a not-so-bright place

    (remember unlike electronically controlled aperatures, which remains in max aperature until just before shutter is release, these mechnical lens close aperature before the shutter is even pressed.)
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

  42. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

  43. #43
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Just saw this and I hope it's not a rebadged ZM50/2 Planar (albeit a great lens.)
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Won't be interested in this one myself because I'm completely happy with the FE 55, but the rumored Loxia 35/2 might grab my attention.

  45. #45
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Actually I just pulled out my ZM50 technical data out the box and outside of the shorter minimal focusing distance this lens looks pretty close. The great thing is that the ZM50/2 has more than enough resolving power for the A7r so this one should be an amazing performer... Perhaps even better than the 55FE. I agree that the 35/2 is more interesting than the 50 as I don't love the 35FE. It's merely good enough.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    I think it is what some suspected and I had hoped Zeiss would not do - go down the ZM road with cosmetic tweaks. Having said that much, I agree it makes sense - the Leica M folks see something they can relate to and it's a known quantity. And re-heating the ZMs will contain costs and realise lower retail so another big win.

    I don't believe the corners of the ZM 50/2 are a match for the FE55 but evidence could always persuade me to feel otherwise. I've seen too many MTF charts of Planar lenses where the outer frame is susceptible to higher res sensors, and this ZM 50/2 one is no exception...its 70% fine detail measure at three quarters from image centre evaporates to below 40% in the corners, this sharp drop starts before the long edges. It's the steep drop that plays havoc with image appearance..as many Leica users have found out with mid field COF in Summiluxes.

    Still, I am unusual in using 50mm lenses for landscapes as much as for general work so most won't even notice, maybe. The current Biogon 35/2 is strong and actually does nicely re performance, and would need little redevelopment.

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    I dont think they will just warm over the ZM line. To work well on the A7R they will need a significant redesign. They won't sell any manual focus 50mm f2 lenses unless they are either dramatically cheaper than the 55mm FE, or better. And it ain't going to be the former. The 21mm and 28 are awful on the A7R and the 35mm f2 pretty poor, so a redesign is essential for performance that will sell.

  48. #48
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    I might be interested in the 35 F2. My sigma 35 1.4 is a beauty but it's also really big. What I need to test when I get home is the 18-35 sigma Art lens for ApS will work full frame at 35mm in fact it will at 30 too. From like 28 to 85 is a area that like to see some new glass.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  49. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

  50. #50
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss FE Mount Manual Lens Rumors

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I dont think they will just warm over the ZM line. To work well on the A7R they will need a significant redesign. They won't sell any manual focus 50mm f2 lenses unless they are either dramatically cheaper than the 55mm FE, or better. And it ain't going to be the former. The 21mm and 28 are awful on the A7R and the 35mm f2 pretty poor, so a redesign is essential for performance that will sell.
    Prior to owning the 55FE I used the ZM50. It already out resolves the A7r sensor and is a really good performer on both the A7 and A7r. In many aspects I prefer the look of it to the 55FE but at that juncture you're splitting hairs.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •