Site Sponsors

Thread: Best creative style for low noise?

Post Thanks / Like

Best creative style for low noise?

I've notice that even while shooting raw on the A7 the creative styles are carried over...and I did notice that some creative styles are noisier than others. Does anyone have any tips on the least noisy creative style? The one that seems to squeeze in the most dynamic range is Portrait with everything tuned down to -3, but it seems to ad a lot of noise on the shadow areas (I'm not sure if the D-Range Opt, may also introduce more noise). Anyway, I'd like to here everyone's thoughts.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best creative style for low noise?

I normally set my camera to standard style with everything else off. I don't know for sure if the creative styles apply to RAW or just JPEG but I usually shoot RAW only.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DRO does introduce noise, that is how "DRO" in any camera works.

Could you please clarify what exactly you mean with "even while shooting raw the creative styles are carried over"?

Post Thanks / Like

What I mean is that I always thought that when you shoot RAW you get an absolutely neutral file, but after shooting RAW with different creative style I can see that the creative styles were applied to the RAW file when I open it on camera raw....I'm not sure if I've made my self clear...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    What I mean is that I always thought that when you shoot RAW you get an absolutely neutral file, but after shooting RAW with different creative style I can see that the creative styles were applied to the RAW file when I open it on camera raw....I'm not sure if I've made my self clear...
    Usually you do get neutral file but at the same time you do get metadata saved and some of RAW converters when they see such metadata try to apply style they think you want. For example LightRoom reproduces in camera style of Fuji when it sees it's metadata. That doesn't mean you can't change style.

Post Thanks / Like

My bad. You're right. I've just shot 2 different creative styles and when I clicked on reset to default on camera raw they both looked the same.