Site Sponsors

Thread: Refurb A900 from Sony worth it today?

Post Thanks / Like

Refurb A900 from Sony worth it today?

I found Sony is selling refurbished A900 and with EPP I can get it for $2000 including 3 years of Sony warranty with accidental protection (directly from sony).

My main interest for A900 is based on what I have read about it online and though old it still has 24MP sensor. I primarily shoot people and some landscape stuff and looking for Zeiss 24/50 and Sony 85mm as my kit. I have no interest in video (iPhone is good enough for me)

With this background do you think its still worth going for Sony A900 refurb instead for $2000? instead of say A99 or used A850/A900?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Refurb A900 from Sony worth it today?

I think $2000 is very expensive for a 5 year old technology camera. No question I still love my A850 but I only payed $1650 for that (new) in 2010. You can get a new A99 from SonyStyle for $2300 and refurbished I've seen them far below $2000. Obviously all of this is with less warranty and no insurance so you'd have to factor in how much that is worth for you.

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Considering that the A99 including vertical grip is 2,3K, no, I would not pay that for a refurbished camera with 3 years warranty.

Sony Alpha a99 DSLR Camera (Body Only) SLTA99V B&H Photo Video

Having said that, I love my A900 and if them refurbished would sell for 1K plus 3 years warranty, I would buy a second one in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like

In this case I think you're paying more for the warranty than the camera and it's been priced as such. Still too much, I think.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I've got a problem with my a900 that I wonder if anyone knows the answer to?

The camera suddenly read "Camera Error" and won't shoot. I presume it's firmware corruption but can't reinstall the firmware. When I turn it on and press the menu button at the same time, I get nothing - except my menu. Anyone know of a trick to force it to accept the installation? Thnks

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great Camera.

Terrible Price.

See RYC's ad in the F/S section for a like new A99 with grip for $2K asking price which still has factory warranty.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $2K for an A900 no matter what.

A900 in mint condition should go for about $1K buy 2 if you are worried about a failure.

In a couple of weeks new stuff will be revealed at Photokina. I'd wait until that shoe drops to see the effect on
    current stuff.

- Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sagar View Post
    With this background do you think its still worth going for Sony A900 refurb instead for $2000? instead of say A99 or used A850/A900?
    Not worth it. You can buy both a850 & a900 for less, used, but in a great shape.
    a850/900 were built very well and outlast the warranty period without issues.