The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Refurb A900 from Sony worth it today?

sagar

I found Sony is selling refurbished A900 and with EPP I can get it for $2000 including 3 years of Sony warranty with accidental protection (directly from sony).

My main interest for A900 is based on what I have read about it online and though old it still has 24MP sensor. I primarily shoot people and some landscape stuff and looking for Zeiss 24/50 and Sony 85mm as my kit. I have no interest in video (iPhone is good enough for me)

With this background do you think its still worth going for Sony A900 refurb instead for $2000? instead of say A99 or used A850/A900?

pegelli

I think $2000 is very expensive for a 5 year old technology camera. No question I still love my A850 but I only payed $1650 for that (new) in 2010. You can get a new A99 from SonyStyle for $2300 and refurbished I've seen them far below $2000. Obviously all of this is with less warranty and no insurance so you'd have to factor in how much that is worth for you.

AndyPtak

In this case I think you're paying more for the warranty than the camera and it's been priced as such. Still too much, I think.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I've got a problem with my a900 that I wonder if anyone knows the answer to?

The camera suddenly read "Camera Error" and won't shoot. I presume it's firmware corruption but can't reinstall the firmware. When I turn it on and press the menu button at the same time, I get nothing - except my menu. Anyone know of a trick to force it to accept the installation? Thnks

fotografz

Great Camera.

Terrible Price.

See RYC's ad in the F/S section for a like new A99 with grip for $2K asking price which still has factory warranty.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $2K for an A900 no matter what.

A900 in mint condition should go for about $1K … buy 2 if you are worried about a failure.

In a couple of weeks new stuff will be revealed at Photokina. I'd wait until that shoe drops to see the effect on
current stuff.

- Marc

Malina DZ

With this background do you think its still worth going for Sony A900 refurb instead for $2000? instead of say A99 or used A850/A900?
Not worth it. You can buy both a850 & a900 for less, used, but in a great shape.
a850/900 were built very well and outlast the warranty period without issues.