Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony FE 16-35/f4

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony FE 16-35/f4

Just checked the order status on B&H after receiving an email from them that the lens is in stock. The order is in the warehouse getting ready for shipment; I should have it by Friday.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

funny, the B&H warehouse is in the navy yard about 200 yards from my shop
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Just checked the order status on B&H after receiving an email from them that the lens is in stock. The order is in the warehouse getting ready for shipment; I should have it by Friday.

Don
    Mine too. I paid extra for shipping, so I'm hoping Wednesday.

Post Thanks / Like

call me awkward...but i decided to wait. not because this lens is not good, in fact it's very good. but canon is rumored to launch a 11-24mm F4 L. i use A6000 and A7r, so it makes sense on both.... i..e i carry one less lens....
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

Don
    +1

db

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, the lens shows as 'in stock' at B&H now.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime I'm waiting for delivery of a lens I begin to feel like I'm 10-years old and waiting for Christmas and begin to count down the days....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime I'm waiting for delivery of a lens I begin to feel like I'm 10-years old and waiting for Christmas and begin to count down the days....
    It's about this time I say to myself 'I should have paid for the faster shipping'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Testing finished. I fear that it's better put the disclaimer "valid only for my copy".

At 16 mm very good general resolution, soft corners. Best aperture F8
    at 20 mm corners get better, but still a little soft.
    From 24 to 35 extremely good from center to corners (to give an example,
    at 28 at 4-5,6 it is better than elmarit r 28 II which is considered a benchmark
    for 28 mm focal.

This one, (full size jpg on flickr) is 28 mm at 5,6.

_DSC3842 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    It's about this time I say to myself 'I should have paid for the faster shipping'.
    I do that every time! I did spring for 2-day delivery; the email just came in with the tracking and it'll be here Thursday. Sometimes 2-day can be overnight if all the connections are made. We'll see. Of course we're having crappy weather right now in Tucson with zero clouds, at least I'll have it next month for Moab and So Rim.

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a keeper!

My friend loves his Canon 16-35mm f4 IS L.

Now, the age old question: Which will perform better on the A7R?

I would also have to pay about $400 for an adapter, which makes the Canon slightly more expensive - even with the current $100 rebate.

Decisions, decisions ..........

Good luck and have fun,
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio lovisolo View Post
    Testing finished. I fear that it's better put the disclaimer "valid only for my copy".

at 28 at 4-5,6 it is better than elmarit r 28 II which is considered a benchmark
    for 28 mm focal.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sergio lovisolo View Post

for 28 mm focal.

If the 24mm setting is better than the 24 -70 than that does interest me and a good 35. Even at 20 can be handy if I'm just traveling with it alone. I'm going to rent it for a trip in couple weeks
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be fair to say that the Canon is strongest at the wide end and the Sony Zeiss at the long end?

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I have interpreted from the lens testing, MTF data and user reports.
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Would it be fair to say that the Canon is strongest at the wide end and the Sony Zeiss at the long end?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    If the 24mm setting is better than the 24 -70 than that does interest me and a good 35. Even at 20 can be handy if I'm just traveling with it alone. I'm going to rent it for a trip in couple weeks
    this one 35 @5,6. seems very good to me. (full size on flickr)
    _DSC3838-2 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[email protected],6.
    in this case, with an U shaped object, field curvature helps, and corners are sharp.
    _DSC3772 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    You're speaking to the choir here! . However, I have a tendency to always ship overnight for expensive, delicate equipment like camera and computer gear. I've done this since a UPS driver that I knew well told me it lessens the chances of damage en route. I'm guessing this is due to fewer intermediary stops and less handling.

... at least, this is the excuse I use to spend the extra money. . Even so, I'll only do it if the shipping premium is reasonable. e.g. the overnight premium from B&H for this lens was $34.62. That's a tiny percentage of the total price, and is still a fraction of the sales tax I am saving from buying out of state. I look at it as insurance.

So, the lens will be here tomorrow, good news for me. The bad news is it is coming via UPS next day air, with arrival before 10:30 AM, signature required. That's early for me! Plus, rain is expected for tomorrow and the next two days, so not much getting out with the new lens.

Wow, as "first world problems" go, it doesn't get any more "first world" than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just bought the lens and chose free shipping for Friday.. I should have read the post above first...
    Last edited by onaujee; 18th November 2014 at 12:45.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well we are all waiting for your test results folks. ITs YOUR turn to tell me. LOL

Seriously if I had the cash it be in my hands.

I have the Canon TSE 17 and 24. 50 ZA 1.4 and 85 1.4 ZA for the A7r my need is the Minolta 200mm 2.8 High Speed and this dang 16-35 and I am in business.

Than the A77II i have the Sigma 18-35 1.8 and use the 50 and 85 but again that Minolta 200mm would be handy as heck here too.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

...and this dang 16-35 and I am in business.
    You mean until the next new shiny thing is announced. ;-)
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well we are all waiting for your test results folks. ITs YOUR turn to tell me. LOL

Seriously if I had the cash it be in my hands.

I have the Canon TSE 17 and 24. 50 ZA 1.4 and 85 1.4 ZA for the A7r my need is the Minolta 200mm 2.8 High Speed and this dang 16-35 and I am in business.

Than the A77II i have the Sigma 18-35 1.8 and use the 50 and 85 but again that Minolta 200mm would be handy as heck here too.
    (DOUBLE POST)
    For those interested I made up today a few Leica WATE and Sony 16-35mm test comparison images at various apertures on a close up planar subject (full size)...You can draw your own conclusions but do bear in mind these are for a 2 dimensional planar subject...Handheld OSS on...You can see the colour shift corners of the Leica WATE and that it vignettes more than the Sony 16-35mm....The vignetting and colour shift can be corrected with a profile...Cheers Barry.
    (Don't shoot the messenger if you don't like what you see)...All SOOC jpgs no PP.

FLICKR GALLERY...LEICA (WATE) 16-21mm F4 + SONY 16-35mm F4 FE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/546025...7649315551921/
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    (DOUBLE POST)
    For those interested I made up today a few Leica WATE and Sony 16-35mm test comparison images at various apertures on a close up planar subject (full size)...You can draw your own conclusions but do bear in mind these are for a 2 dimensional planar subject...Handheld OSS on...You can see the colour shift corners of the Leica WATE and that it vignettes more than the Sony 16-35mm....The vignetting and colour shift can be corrected with a profile...Cheers Barry.
    (Don't shoot the messenger if you don't like what you see)...All SOOC jpgs no PP.

The plot thickens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Haines View Post
    (DOUBLE POST)

Not bad - it seems my credit card will soon be getting more use. You said all shots were handheld, too, correct? OSS really does help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frozenbb View Post
    Not bad - it seems my credit card will soon be getting more use. You said all shots were handheld, too, correct? OSS really does help.
    That's correct...The OSS does really help in low light situations and you don't have a tripod to hand.

Post Thanks / Like

This may be helpful for your Sony v Canon discussion?

proimagenz.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone posting samples. I've been enjoying reading this thread. A couple of thoughts I have had is, I wonder if OSS is having a negative effect on the image quality. Is there the same shot somewhere already with OSS on and another with it off at 16mm especially? Is the testing on a tripod being done with OSS turned off?

Barry, it looks to me that if your lens has a problem in he corners it's more pronounced on the left. So I'm interested to see your tripod shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post
    Thanks to everyone posting samples. I've been enjoying reading this thread. A couple of thoughts I have had is, I wonder if OSS is having a negative effect on the image quality. Is there the same shot somewhere already with OSS on and another with it off at 16mm especially? Is the testing on a tripod being done with OSS turned off?

Barry, it looks to me that if your lens has a problem in he corners it's more pronounced on the left. So I'm interested to see your tripod shots.
    Hi Slingers, you could very well be right that one side or corner is slightly different from the other side as I tried to square off on the wall as best as I could but do bear in mind that these are just rough hand held shots so don't read to much into it that the lens has a problem, it's a zoom at the end of the day so you are not going to get prime lens perfection...I won't be doing a tripod set BTW as way to busy with family at present.
    Cheers Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another review showing a comparison with other lenses.

Adorable wide angles - Zeiss FE 16-35 vs. Leica WATE and some other 21mm lenses

Post Thanks / Like

some interesting results there. I don't know if anyone has has the leica M and the WATE as I do but I would be interested in a edge comparison with the 16-35 on the A7 and WATE on the M. I find the results on the M with the WATE to be superb and of course you have the added benefit of the leica profiles to correct for distortion, vignetting etc and the custom built sensor. if the A7 and 16-35 came close in performance I would be one step nearer to leaving the leica system

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for that Slingers,
    I will just add that I carried out quite a few more tests than those wall shots yesterday (3D renderings and such like) and was pixel peeping all evening until I had
    I think it's no secret when I say that the WATE performs at it's very best at 21mm f8 in the corners, that is where I use it the most (16mm and 18mm obviously are best also at f8 than wide open at f4).
    The Sony 16-35mm may very well do a better or similar job wide open compared to the WATE as that review says...But I am now pretty convinced in my own mind looking at my results for my own particular lenses that the WATE does a better job in terms of resolution (+ distortion, flare and CA) in the corners on 3D renderings on 16mm, 18mm and 21mm when set at f8.
    As I see it - It all comes down to your own particular brand/style of photography what kind of images you like to make! It's all a matter of how obsessive one is about corner sharpness vs the benefits of having AF, OSS, weather sealing, exif data recorded and that extra 21-35mm quickly at your disposal (+ not to speak of saving a trunk full of money
    I found yesterday that I managed to capture and react much quicker with the Sony 16-35mm lens than I ever could have done with the WATE because I would have had to switched lenses!...That extra 21-35mm is pretty handy if you have to respond quickly to a particular situation...Speaking personally I'm happy to sensor crop out some soft corners where others perhaps are not...I don't find that the WATE is as good as some prime lenses in the corners anyway...Well maybe on the A7R it is
    Cheers Barry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah, the kraft-3D tests more positive and more in line with the DXO results. I with C1 now in closer collaboration with Sony, a proper lens profile can only move this more in the right direction. A little disappointed that the profile was not released in the new 8.0.2 release. Guess I'm ordering the lens....thanks for all the posts.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think all these comparisons to the WATE speak volumes about the 16-35mmFE. I know similar focal lengths are part of the reason, but in regards to price point comparisons, the Sony Zeiss FE16-35mm wins every time. For pure entertainment value, I'd like to see how the 16-35FE compares to it's Alpha counterparts such as the 16-35 f/2.8, or even a prime such as the 24mm Distagon. Weather/dust resistance aside, the Alpha mounts w/adapter offer an incredible amount of lens choices for the A7 series with AF!
    We just need a native portrait FE 1.4 prime for the A7!

Maybe something in the 85mm 1.4 or a 135mm 1.8?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JGD, from what I have seen it will 'do' the ZA A mount WA zoom, and the fact that it is mentioned and tested beside such illustrious company as Barry has, and the always excellent 3D Kraft reviewer also - it is shaping up very nicely.

Barry you know how to get us salivating with that lineup of yours ;-)

The real comparo is the recently released Canon lens in real world conditions. And for a 'clean' comparison - the WATE and SEM struggle against beam angle-cover glass issues but still go surprisingly well - the Distagon 18mm, 21mm and 25mm, the 21mm technically is very close to the 21/24 SEM lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a quick down and dirty comparison with the 16-35mmFE OSSf/4 and the 24mm ZA distagon f/2.0. both set @ f5.6 /1/100th. I know these two are different types of lenses (f/4 zoom vs f/2 prime), but I was curious nonetheless on how the 16-35 would perform @ 24mm. The 24mm distagon f/2.0 had very slightly better center resolution and micro contrast - (it should having fewer elements), but the overall image resolution winner goes to the 16-35FE. With an adapter(LA-EA3) the SSM motor on the distagon works good, but is certainly slower and sometimes doesn't lock on AF targets. The 16-35 FE, is an impressive lens, and i was debating over staying with a prime or the functionality of a zoom.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine should be arriving today. Very anxious to try it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to test it on the IR converted camera as that's what it was bought for. The terrifying aspect of trying a new lens is how it'll work on/in IR as some lenses can create a hotspot. I tested the 16-35 using the full spectrum and 590nm IR and so far am very pleased.

The 16-35 arrived too late last night to do any meaningful test outside so decided to test it in the living room.

16mm f/4 1/15 ISO 50 Tripod

16mm f/4 1/15 ISO 50 Tripod

The following were done this morning.

16mm f/4 1/160 ISO 50 Handheld

16mm f/4 1/160 ISO 50 Handheld

These were all opened in C1 Pro where I profiled the lens before taking it over to PSCC to run through NIK Software. Based on these and the others I haven't shared I think this lens is a keeper.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Completely off topic but do you have to "scrub" your full spectrum or IR shots before putting them in C1 Don?
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Completely off topic but do you have to "scrub" your full spectrum or IR shots before putting them in C1 Don?
    Not any more. I've started a new workflow where I shoot custom WB similar to an LCC at the beginning of each shot. I open the files in C1 (this also works well in Adobe Bridge) and using the LCC/WB do a custom WB then copy that on all the image files. There's times when I mix up the filters shooting between FS, color, and either 590, 720, and 830 and just shoot a WB in between the files; works as a bookend as well as. I've found this to be much easier than shooting a custom white balance in camera then having to go through the hassle of scrubbing the files in Sony Data Converter before opening in either C1 or PS. The only down side to doing this is I loose the filter color in the screen as I capture the image (always has a reddish hue) but find that a minor inconvenience.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

The AF was snappy when I tried the 16-35. I think it's a solid buy.

Post Thanks / Like

I am very pleased with the new lens. My first comparisons with my Nikon 16-35/4.0 show it to be every bit as sharp in the center with improved corner sharpness. I never liked the Nikon WA zoom on the a7 largely because the images seemed so flat and lifeless, even after post production.

None of that exists in the FE16-35. Great contrast and color rendition. It's pretty much everything I wanted/needed it to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they have not hit it out of the park, but they have provided a really decent lens that has a firm place in the line up. Its likely I will end up buying one.

I was pondering future investment in the Canon EF mount (i.e. the new 16-35 f4 IS), but the lack of innovation and sensor tech with respect to bodies means I am no longer considering getting into Nikon, but instead slowly phasing out my DSLR kit with time, in favour of FE mount. The wonderful thing is being able to hang onto some special L lenses for use on the FE cameras, even if I don't have any Canon cameras in a few years. I suspect I will be gone from Leica M mount as well, within a similar time frame. With Loxia manual focus lenses, I'd now like them to produce a camera with a monochrome sensor!

Sony is very close to allowing me to do everything I want on one mount, rather than three. I will stay in M43 (with the brilliant GM1) for certain uses).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Not any more. I've started a new workflow where I shoot custom WB similar to an LCC at the beginning of each shot. I open the files in C1 (this also works well in Adobe Bridge) and using the LCC/WB do a custom WB then copy that on all the image files. There's times when I mix up the filters shooting between FS, color, and either 590, 720, and 830 and just shoot a WB in between the files; works as a bookend as well as. I've found this to be much easier than shooting a custom white balance in camera then having to go through the hassle of scrubbing the files in Sony Data Converter before opening in either C1 or PS. The only down side to doing this is I loose the filter color in the screen as I capture the image (always has a reddish hue) but find that a minor inconvenience.

Don
    Cool that's good to know as I'm planning to do the FS conversion on my A7r once I upgrade to the new generation FE bodies.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Looks like they have not hit it out of the park, but they have provided a really decent lens that has a firm place in the line up. Its likely I will end up buying one.

I was pondering future investment in the Canon EF mount (i.e. the new 16-35 f4 IS), but the lack of innovation and sensor tech with respect to bodies means I am no longer considering getting into Nikon, but instead slowly phasing out my DSLR kit with time, in favour of FE mount. The wonderful thing is being able to hang onto some special L lenses for use on the FE cameras, even if I don't have any Canon cameras in a few years. I suspect I will be gone from Leica M mount as well, within a similar time frame. With Loxia manual focus lenses, I'd now like them to produce a camera with a monochrome sensor!

Sony is very close to allowing me to do everything I want on one mount, rather than three. I will stay in M43 (with the brilliant GM1) for certain uses).
    On the contrary, The 16-35 FE/and A7 is an amazing combo, with lightning quick AF and excellent resolution for an extreme amount of functionality. It's dust and weather resistant combo that can be carried virtually anywhere. I'm not sure what photographer's expect today given the amount of tech and innovation. The new A7MII will have 5 axis stabilization for stills and broadcast quality video, the first in a full frame camera. As far as the D800/e,D810/D610, that sensor is the highest rated sensor on DXO, even beating out MFD, and the Nikon 85mm1.4 G is only behind the Otus. Stop the madness, what's not to love? I've owned them all and the one camera I miss the most is the Sony A900 with either a 85mm 1.4 or 135mm f1.8.

Post Thanks / Like

Can the 16-35 be manually focused? I have the 55mm lens (which I love) but manual focus is really a poor option.
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I am saying it seems to be a very good lens indeed, but not one that is a game changer i.e. It may not quite reach the performance of the Canon 16-35 f4 IS, for example, while costing quite a bit more. The 55 FE was a game changer, however.

As we know, the A7 and A7R place very different demands on the lenses in the line up. I would have considered it 'knocked out of the park' if the lens were able to resolve up to the A7R's potential at the edges and corners at most settings, a few stops down. It seems that its a brilliant match for the A7 and a very good lens indeed on the A7R, but if you were to compare A7 and A7R frames, there may well not be any real advantage to the higher resolution sensor around the periphery of the frame.

With Sony soon to roll out a 50MP sensor, there is good reason to ask if the off centre performance will hold up.

Like I say, I will almost certainly buy it with great enthusiasm, but if you've shot a good copy of the 35mm FE and 55mm FE on the A7R, its evident just what that sensor can do when matched with a truly brilliant lens. Sure, we are comparing primes to zooms, but I wonder if Sony/Zeiss will start building to a higher price point on some zoom lenses in the knowledge that its the only way to produce the across the frame performance these sensors can record. With IBIS coming to the next round of cameras, there will be no need for it in lenses, in future. This will reduce costs and optical hurdles, so we can expect improvements in the future.

I am thrilled by the A7 and A7R (Aerial Documentary Project Work with the A7R!) and in no way complaining about what Sony is doing. Quite the opposite in fact!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    On the contrary, The 16-35 FE/and A7 is an amazing combo, with lightning quick AF and excellent resolution for an extreme amount of functionality. It's dust and weather resistant combo that can be carried virtually anywhere. I'm not sure what photographer's expect today given the amount of tech and innovation. The new A7MII will have 5 axis stabilization for stills and broadcast quality video, the first in a full frame camera. As far as the D800/e,D810/D610, that sensor is the highest rated sensor on DXO, even beating out MFD, and the Nikon 85mm1.4 G is only behind the Otus. Stop the madness, what's not to love? I've owned them all and the one camera I miss the most is the Sony A900 with either a 85mm 1.4 or 135mm f1.8.

Post Thanks / Like

J. Paul,

You can use DMF with AF quite nicely, but you can also use just manual focus. Set the peaking level high and toggle the AF/MF button to manual. You'll know it's manual because the rectangle disappears in the viewfinder, now just twist the focus ring and it zooms in with peaking.

turtle...

I think any native lens release is a game changer I agree the 55mm1.8 is one of the best.

Post Thanks / Like

hahah, well yes. Hats off to Sony though. They're not stupid and, as I have said before, they are going to keep reinforcing success. This means LOTS more out of the mirrorless FE mount. This may upset A mount users, because it seems to be they will do a minimum to keep those users happy, but will be putting everything into FE.

May order the 16-35 FE before my Jan trip to Iceland....

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 16-35FE will suit you well in Iceland...enjoy!

I really like the A mount lenses and the LA-EA3/4, really makes it almost seamless. The 24mm distagon F/2.0 i have is almost the exact size as the 16-35FE, but the SSM AF is slower and batteries need charging more often The resolution difference to me was very minimal, so i'm sticking with the FE, but will use the A mounts for portraits such as the 85mm1.4/ or 135f1.8. Show us your pics from Iceland when convenient - we'd love to see them.

Post Thanks / Like

The weather has been bleak, but so far I'm liking this lens. (still anxious to see how it does with actual sunshine and blue skies though.)

Sony 16-35mm ƒ4 at 29mm @ƒ4.5 on a7S

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    I think the 16-35FE will suit you well in Iceland...enjoy!

I really like the A mount lenses and the LA-EA3/4, really makes it almost seamless. The 24mm distagon F/2.0 i have is almost the exact size as the 16-35FE, but the SSM AF is slower and batteries need charging more often The resolution difference to me was very minimal, so i'm sticking with the FE, but will use the A mounts for portraits such as the 85mm1.4/ or 135f1.8. Show us your pics from Iceland when convenient - we'd love to see them.
    I'm not sure whether the A7 séries are a good idea for iceland : right now, I have been taking night pictures from my windows and the batteries are exhausted incredibly fast. Part of it is due to my use if the Metabones smart adapter with Canon lenses. But a very large part is also due to the cold. And it isn't even very cold here (4/5 degrees Celsius to 10 degrees Celsius). Either take a lot of batteries or pick another camera with a bigger battery.