The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony FE 16-35/f4

mbn

no math skills needed.
It will be 1:1, like it always was with rrp prices.

1350euro = $1350

dandrewk

Yes, what mbn said. The Euro price is usually the same as the $US price.

I guess it's about what is expected. The 70-200 is $150 more, but the 24-70 is less. This fits right in the middle. It's a bit surprising they didn't match the Canon version ($1200). Here, apparently, is the Zeiss markup.

Would have loved to have seen a photo or specs. Probably coming at PhotoKina. I really want this lens. End of October, long time to wait for OCD folks like myself.

Lawrence B

I have been looking forward to 16-35 since it was announced last May. But, am both anxious and excited. Anxious that I end up with some of the problems I experienced with FE 24-70. Excited of course for a native, extreme wide angle FE option.

dandrewk

Good news for PS/LR users: Adobe has just released Camera Raw 8.7, which includes a profile for the FE 16-35.

:thumbup:

Annna T

Sony Alpha Rumors just posted a link to this Korean review of the 16-35mm.

There are a lot of pictures to look at. I find difficult to judge sharpness, because he shot everything with an A7s, so we don't know how the lens will perform on the more demanding A7r.

What I liked is the low distortion you see on the architecture shots, although we can't know how that is corrected (software or optically).

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree it looks pretty good. The good news it don't look bad. Corners looked best at around F8. I won't be giving up my canon 17tse for it but for a zoom it looks pretty good so far.

iiiNelson

Sony Alpha Rumors just posted a link to this Korean review of the 16-35mm.

There are a lot of pictures to look at. I find difficult to judge sharpness, because he shot everything with an A7s, so we don't know how the lens will perform on the more demanding A7r.

What I liked is the low distortion you see on the architecture shots, although we can't know how that is corrected (software or optically).
Agree that it seems decent on initial look. I don't think it's landed in the must buy category for me yet though at $1350. I'm kinda hoping Zeiss does a fast and wide Loxia because I rather have a great prime than an above average zoom.

turtle

Based on performance of the 24-70 f4 OSS with the A7S vs A7R, performance on the former is no indication whatsoever of performance on the latter. We'll have to keep fingers crossed!

iiiNelson

Based on performance of the 24-70 f4 OSS with the A7S vs A7R, performance on the former is no indication whatsoever of performance on the latter. We'll have to keep fingers crossed!
Agreed and the rather average performance of the 24-70 caused me to get rid of mine. Sadly the 35/2.8 FE I got to replace it is better but still right around average to me.

f 10

The examples speak for themselves.
I am very glad that I am the first on the list at my local dealer.
The bokeh is extremely good for Aperture 4.

In combination with my Noctilux, 75 Lux and 135mm Zuiko a nice travel set.

I can not wait - also applies to the next holiday.

philip_pj

Such an important lens for Sony, everything looks pretty good - so far.
Zeiss will doubtless produce one (or probably two) lenses with focal lengths starting with a '2' in Loxia. They are rightly proud of their Distagon and Biogon ranges which dominate the ZE and ZM ranges. Sony users will not miss out and this zoom release date may have something to do with the push back of the WA Loxias in the schedule.

Quite soon, new buyers will not know what lenses to get! At 35mm, they will have the 35/2.8, 35/2L, 35/1.4D and this 16-35 zoom.

UHDR

Such an important lens for Sony, everything looks pretty good - so far.
Zeiss will doubtless produce one (or probably two) lenses with focal lengths starting with a '2' in Loxia. They are rightly proud of their Distagon and Biogon ranges which dominate the ZE and ZM ranges. Sony users will not miss out and this zoom release date may have something to do with the push back of the WA Loxias in the schedule.

Quite soon, new buyers will not know what lenses to get! At 35mm, they will have the 35/2.8, 35/2L, 35/1.4D and this 16-35 zoom.
Sony show room in Hong Kong claims they will have 16-35mm F4 in stock by 6th Nov :D there is currently a demo unit in there.

Steve P.

Sony users will not miss out and this zoom release date may have something to do with the push back of the WA Loxias in the schedule.
Have the Loxia wide angles been pushed back? I haven't heard this. I know the 2/35 was originally intended for 4th quarter of 2014. Has this changed?

tn1krr

Sony show room in Hong Kong claims they will have 16-35mm F4 in stock by 6th Nov :D there is currently a demo unit in there.
My pre-ordered (sony.fi online store) 16-35 still shows November 4 or 5 as delivery date so it looks like these lenses will be rolling out in numbers early next month. I'd say Sony has been quite happy with preorder numbers; since I ordered Sept 16 the price has gone up from 1199 Eur to 1399 in the sony.fi store. Early bird got a nice "discount" in this case, although the price will propably come back down as the production ramps up.