The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony FE 16-35/f4

jlm

Workshop Member
is that a bit of vignetting upper left? seems a bit off shape for vignetting in landscape mode.(would expect to see more on the vertical edge than the horizontal edge)
also what focal length for that shot?

ggibson

LOL, seriously? Laughable that the included shade vignettes at 16mm. Come on, Sony.

I'll probably still buy it though. :D

Thanks for sharing! Any initial impressions on handling, size?

LOL, seriously? Laughable that the included shade vignettes at 16mm. Come on, Sony.

I'll probably still buy it though. :D

Thanks for sharing! Any initial impressions on handling, size?
Buy it, that is a wonderful effect. Only, if you want to replicate it, remember to
just avoid to completely rotate the shade when mounting:(

tn1krr

Got mine yesterday; took total of 4 pics of Red Bull cans on my desk due to other commitments; those can-closeups looks awesome, I love the rendering :D . In case others who mainly process their pics in LR need the use the Camera Raw 8.7 RC profile in Lightroom posted instructions on how to "borrow" the profile to LR from ACR on another forum

To use FE 16-35/4 Adobe Profile in Lightroom: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Mac users can do the same, google will find instructions on proper file locations.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Chris, I ordered it on-line from Sony.ca on Saturday and it arrived by Purolator yesterday. I always get very good service from them. (Looking at how much I've spent there, I ought to!)

Bill

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, I got a chance to play with the FE 16-35 today, despite our first snow of the season!

It's a pretty good lens, though like most zooms the extremes are not perfect. For example, at f5.6 the corners at 16 mm are a bit soft, but at 19 mm they're very good. Likewise 35 mm is pushing it a bit (I'd rather use the FE 24-70 at 35, where it shines) but 30 mm is good.

This one was taken at 16 mm, f8, processed at C1 8 defaults except for a little correction with the CA tool. There is very little distortion.

I'll take a few more in coming days, at smaller apertures. Meanwhile, the lens is a keeper. A small bag with the a7r, 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 and three batteries only weighs 3 kg (less than 7 lbs.)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea having the 17 and 24 TSE than the 50 1.4 and 85 1.4. This lens would be handy to have. I plan on adding the Minolta 200mm 2.8 high Speed lens to my kit. Okay Im making no secret it about my plans and Im going on the rumor of the new A7rII if it has the AF I have currently on the A77II than I am all in on the FE mount, so having the 16-35 would be perfect for PR work and even better with the A7s since who cares about high ISO and a slower lens, right I mean i can go easily ISO 3200 and make up the speed. This way I could sell my Sigma 18-35 for the A77II and the A77II and get MY WHOLE SYSTEM into FE mount. I don't like what I have to do today but it works so until we get the A7 and A7r into AF A6000 or A77II territory than that is my plan. Ill get this in January sometime.

But I am going to rent it for a trip to NY in early December since Ill be shooting the city and adding to my stock of NY images.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

In my earlier post I commented that distortion was quite low at 16 mm. Here's one where I lined up the window on the left with the edge of the frame. Not too bad - and I could have corrected it with the Distortion tool in C1 8 - though I hope they will soon have a profile for the FE. (I tried the existing profile in C1 8 for the A mount 16-35 but it didn't help.)

ISO 400, 1/40th @F8, hand held. No sign of shutter jar.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Yes, Guy, I'm thinking a bit like you. I have the a99 and several A mount lenses, including the ZA 24-70. I hardly need it as well as the FE version.

The trouble is that I love my 70-400G! I can put it on the a7r (LEA4 adapter) but then I lose the stabilization. Likewise my fabulous Sigma 70 mm Macro.What's a guy to do?

I think I'll sell the ZA 24-70 but keep the a99 with the 70-400 permanently attached. The Macro I can use with the a7r because I'm usually using it on a tripod and IBS doesn't matter.

At the end of the day, though, I'm still an MFDB man.....

Ah, the problems of having so many (not TOO many) systems.

dandrewk

In my earlier post I commented that distortion was quite low at 16 mm. Here's one where I lined up the window on the left with the edge of the frame. Not too bad - and I could have corrected it with the Distortion tool in C1 8 - though I hope they will soon have a profile for the FE. (I tried the existing profile in C1 8 for the A mount 16-35 but it didn't help.)
Note for those using ACR/LR - Adobe has a lens profile for the FE16-35 as part of the available ACR update beta.