The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony FE 16-35/f4

Barry Haines

I would adjust your ad adjustment for say a focal length. Than check other focal lengths and see if it changes
Guy, the AF locks on perfectly with my two native lenses (I have no complaints). So need for any AF fine adjustment that I can see of.
It's the actual scale in the viewfinder that I am less happy with.

I keep seeing Sergio's samples and without rubbing it in my 16-35mm seems to perform a bit better...I'm sure we just have another case of sample to sample variations.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
From all that I see on this lens. It's sounds like sample variance. I get a rental lens on Friday for a week. See if I can run some tests with it too.

Barry Haines

I would adjust your ad adjustment for say a focal length. Than check other focal lengths and see if it changes
Guy, I just did exactly as you said (manually focusing) and yes if I'm being honest I can see a difference between the two extreme focal lengths of 16mm and 35mm at f4 when focusing as close as possible (As close as the lens will allow me to that is) using a steel ruler at an angle, that ties up with Sergio's results...But by the time I'm at circa 0.7m the point becomes pretty well mute as far as I see it...Personally I didn't buy the lens for macro work and I would always refocus at whatever focal length I was shooting at anyway....Just my 2 pence worth. This may be a problem for some folks here but not for me.

Viramati

Thanks all for some very useful feedback in the last few posts. I have come to realise that at least with WATE I know exactly what it is doing and where I am focussing as this is what frustrates me with the FE zooms as with the FE24-70 i'm never quite sure what it is doing and exactly where and what is in focus. The A7 series manual focus scale is next to useless and really should be a lot more detailed. Also with the fly-by-wire focussing you have no idea when you are really at infinity. So when it come down to it I can see the 16-35 being useful for reportage work but just to hit and miss for landscape

chrisd

Perhaps this is a stupid question (someone will tell me to read the manual), but is it possible to set the A7 series cameras to focus stopped down at the aperture setting, not wide open (at f4 in this case)? That would eliminate any focus shift behaviour, would it not?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, I just did exactly as you said (manually focusing) and yes if I'm being honest I can see a difference between the two extreme focal lengths of 16mm and 35mm at f4 when focusing as close as possible (As close as the lens will allow me to that is) using a steel ruler at an angle, that ties up with Sergio's results...But by the time I'm at circa 0.7m the point becomes pretty well mute as far as I see it...Personally I didn't buy the lens for macro work and I would always refocus at whatever focal length I was shooting at anyway....Just my 2 pence worth. This may be a problem for some folks here but not for me.
Agree we would always adjust focus after a focal change on zooms. Usually this is a small amount. What I was trying figure was if it was a severe amount. This would say something about the elements movements. My guess this has a floating element for close focusing as well. My Nikon 14-24 had a pretty bad focus shift. So on one hand some of this could very well be somewhat normal. But I'm reading it sounds fairly severe. But most of us would use it manual anyway and BTW I do not like the fly by wire setting. I don't like the mechanics of it so I switched it off

pegelli

@ chrisd: I think all native E-mount lenses focus (and measure light) when stopped down.

Only A-mount lenses via one of the LA-EA2 or 4 adapters focus (and measure light) wide open and only close down upon pressing the shutter button.

Barry Haines

Agree we would always adjust focus after a focal change on zooms. Usually this is a small amount. What I was trying figure was if it was a severe amount. This would say something about the elements movements. My guess this has a floating element for close focusing as well. My Nikon 14-24 had a pretty bad focus shift. So on one hand some of this could very well be somewhat normal. But I'm reading it sounds fairly severe. But most of us would use it manual anyway and BTW I do not like the fly by wire setting. I don't like the mechanics of it so I switched it off
Guy, I'm looking forward to seeing what you think when you get your rental...I would be even more interested if you rented a WATE at the same time :D

The closer you get the problem becomes more severe as with any lens...Only you will know the point of acceptability...Getting a rental is a good idea for you and anybody in doubt.

tn1krr

@ chrisd: I think all native E-mount lenses focus (and measure light) when stopped down.

Only A-mount lenses via one of the LA-EA2 or 4 adapters focus (and measure light) wide open and only close down upon pressing the shutter button.
If one puts Live View Display to "setting effect off" all native E Mount lenses focus wide open and only stop down for exposure when shutter button is pressed. So we get to pick which behavior we prefer.

iiiNelson

Most of the time I DMF when I need to manually focus my FE lenses. Fly by wire is just weird.

V

Vivek

The problems you had with the Nikon (or anything with the A99/A77) is not applicable in this case as the focus is off the sensor. Totally different scenarios.

Annna T

I can honestly say that I haven't experienced any real noticeable field curvature or any focus shift for that matter with this particular lens - Although if Dxomark and Lloyd Chambers says their is, then I bow to their better judgement.
My gripe is I am not entirely happy with the (A7R) cameras distance focusing scale to rely on, as it's a bit crude as it steps up and down in bite sized chunks, I would prefer something a bit more linear + I'm not entirely convinced it's even that accurate either :eek: Hopefully future A7 and A9 series cameras will come up with something a bit better than what we have at the moment.
I thought that when using focus by wire to focus manually, then the speed at which you are turning the wheel may make a difference and that it doesn't help to add marks on the ring/barrel because they would change depending on that speed : aka if you turn slowly, you will have to go further and if you turn fast, then a smaller turn will yield a bigger change. I seem to remember having read something like that in the manual.. but I didn't insist, I prefer AF given the state of my eyesight..

Barry Haines

I thought that when using focus by wire to focus manually, then the speed at which you are turning the wheel may make a difference and that it doesn't help to add marks on the ring/barrel because they would change depending on that speed : aka if you turn slowly, you will have to go further and if you turn fast, then a smaller turn will yield a bigger change. I seem to remember having read something like that in the manual.. but I didn't insist, I prefer AF given the state of my eyesight..
Hi Annna, I’m not sure I entirely follow you, what I was trying to say in a roundabout way - Was that when you are in manual focus mode and you rotate the lens focusing ring, the lens distance scale obviously now becomes active on the rear screen and in the EVF.
As you rotate the lens focusing ring in a linear motion (either slowly or fast) the distance focusing scale moves left to right and back again in actual “stepped increments” if you look very closely (It’s not linear).
Those actual stepped positions can be used as aide-memoire for where to position your pre-selected/pre-calculated hyperfocal distances for various different focal lengths.
That’s handy for Landscape workers...Personally though I would rather have an alternative easier method that was linear and not stepped.

Slingers

Thank you Sergio. I really appreciate all the tests and knowledge you have provided about this lens. I bet it's tough to be one of the first with a lens.

Barry Haines

I just rented this for a week for a trip to New York in early December. Should be fun
Guy, enjoy your NY trip with the 16-35mm, if you get time I would just do a few test shots at home just to familiarize yourself with the focusing (That could prove to be beneficial later on when in NY).
I confess I did not instantly take a shine to this lens!
The 35mm end of the zoom is it's weak link (and not just my copy).
I personally like to treat the lens as a 16-28mm zoom and would add a fast 35mm lens on a trip.
Cheers Barry

tn1krr

Yea little bugged about the 35 end of this zoom.
It seems to be pretty much same case with every 16-35. We tested the A Mount 16-35/2.8 ZA against the FE 16-35/4 and the A mount model was noticeably softer on F/4 aperture. Canikons do not really shine in 35 mm either.

IMO 35 mm is the right place for zoom compromizes that are gonna be there anyway. Optimized the wide end the best you can since starting from 24 mm (and even more so from 35 mm) there are lots of other options.

iiiNelson

Yea little bugged about the 35 end of this zoom.
The good part is that there are plenty of great 35mm lenses out there. There aren't quite so many great UWA options so I kind of like hearing this. I may pickup this lens before my Vegas trip in February. I'm starting to see a few good examples of what it can do in broad daylight or sunset that aren't just brick walls.