The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony FE 16-35/f4

iiiNelson

No correction with lens profiles but I did crop some
I thought someone at Phase One said that there was no need for additional lens profiles and that would be corrected automatically in C1P8 when it was announced...

I thought it seemed fishy. That's a huge factor that causes hesitation for myself (and many others) if they ever hope/want to be the primary RAW converter of choice of Sony users.

iiiNelson

It maybe not loaded yet. I will check but FYI big update coming really soon.
Sounds good and I've been forcing myself to use C1P8 the last 2 or 3 months (by not allowing myself to bring my master travel drive with the bulk of my images on it.) So I'm almost comfortable with the interface although it's still not as second nature for me as LR5 or Aperture are.

Viramati

So far this seems to be an impressive lens pretty much across the range so much so that I am considering selling the WATE. What I really miss though is not having a DOF scale which I find to be so useful for landscape and street work.

Roots and track by Viramati, on Flickr

Last edited:

Thorkil

Hi David
Wonderful picture!
What are your considerations between the A7S and the A7II, apart from sheer sensorsize, better details, with the 16-35?
It still seems like the 7S contribute with more and stronger 3-dimensional feeling, and looking at the "comparometer" at ImagingResource, it looks like the 7II is 3 stops down to the 7S. The S seems to manage 12.800 rather well, and with the 7II, it seems like you have to go down to 1.600 iso to get the same quality.
But then there is the IBIS in the 7II, and does it offer this together with the OSS in the 16-35?, compared to just the OSS on the 7S...? And how is that?
(but I don't know if you at all are in need of those high iso's)
Best
Thorkil

Viramati

Hi David
Wonderful picture!
What are your considerations between the A7S and the A7II, apart from sheer sensorsize, better details, with the 16-35?
It still seems like the 7S contribute with more and stronger 3-dimensional feeling, and looking at the "comparometer" at ImagingResource, it looks like the 7II is 3 stops down to the 7S. The S seems to manage 12.800 rather well, and with the 7II, it seems like you have to go down to 1.600 iso to get the same quality.
But then there is the IBIS in the 7II, and does it offer this together with the OSS in the 16-35?, compared to just the OSS on the 7S...? And how is that?
(but I don't know if you at all are in need of those high iso's)
Best
Thorkil
We are told by Sony the A7II along with FE OSS lenses work in some sort of combination of the 2, whether you will be able to see any difference in the handling I have no idea.
As to image difference between the A7s and A7 II for me it is to early to tell but as the A7II has the same sensor and I believe the same processing engine as the A7I presume that what I had seen before will be valid. And that is that I feel that the A7s gives a more subtle file for B&W conversions with a greater tonal range.
From what I see from the 16-35 it is a winner on the A7 mkII which isn't so much the case with the 24-70 on the A7 but the 24-70 almost seems to be a different lens when mounted on the A7s. I think I will find myself using the A7II more for landscape work where I like to have more MP's and the A7s for PR and street work where I want to be able to use higher shutter speeds to freeze movement and consequently the higher iso range is very useful.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
We are told by Sony the A7II along with FE OSS lenses work in some sort of combination of the 2, whether you will be able to see any difference in the handling I have no idea.
As to image difference between the A7s and A7 II for me it is to early to tell but as the A7II has the same sensor and I believe the same processing engine as the A7I presume that what I had seen before will be valid. And that is that I feel that the A7s gives a more subtle file for B&W conversions with a greater tonal range.
From what I see from the 16-35 it is a winner on the A7 mkII which isn't so much the case with the 24-70 on the A7 but the 24-70 almost seems to be a different lens when mounted on the A7s. I think I will find myself using the A7II more for landscape work where I like to have more MP's and the A7s for PR and street work where I want to be able to use higher shutter speeds to freeze movement and consequently the higher iso range is very useful.
Thorkil, David, it is interesting reading your feelings about the A7S giving the better B&W conversion. I feel that as well. Some speculate that the blue channel is stronger in the "S." I can say having all the channels well represented does give me a lot more latitude in the conversions.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree. Just need to go dig that baseball helmet out of the closet. I can hear the wind of the bat now. LOL

mrmugman

I'm new to the Sony A7 series. Does anyone know how this lens compares to the FE 24-70 at 24mm and 35mm? Trying to decide which one to get first.