The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Now we're talking. Announced FE mounts

philip_pj

It would be good to know what the development lead time was for the ZM 35/1.4, as Zeiss have been working on the Loxias since the announcement of the a7 series. Did they factor in what changes would be needed for an enhanced Loxia version, improved for a7r performance? My guess is they did and will keep that one up their sleeve and see how Sony's FE counterpart does in the marketplace.

They would be keen to see the two lines as quite separate, and the MTF for the Loxia 35/2 looks more like a different lens than a slightly revised (altered exit pupil placement) ZM 35/2.

Apart from Leicaphile cafe reviews like the one over at Steve's place, the Loxia 35/2 will raise more than a few eyebrows as a general purpose lens, as it is great at f5.6.

Zeiss are not noted for restricting lenses to near distance work, and it is designed for the a7r after all, hardly a street shooter.

I have to imagine this guy never met the RX1 or either the ZE/F or CY f1.4 Distagon either: 'No 2/35mm renders a spectacular bokeh'.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
It would be good to know what the development lead time was for the ZM 35/1.4, as Zeiss have been working on the Loxias since the announcement of the a7 series. Did they factor in what changes would be needed for an enhanced Loxia version, improved for a7r performance? My guess is they did and will keep that one up their sleeve and see how Sony's FE counterpart does in the marketplace.

They would be keen to see the two lines as quite separate, and the MTF for the Loxia 35/2 looks more like a different lens than a slightly revised (altered exit pupil placement) ZM 35/2.

Apart from Leicaphile cafe reviews like the one over at Steve's place, the Loxia 35/2 will raise more than a few eyebrows as a general purpose lens, as it is great at f5.6.

Zeiss are not noted for restricting lenses to near distance work, and it is designed for the a7r after all, hardly a street shooter.

I have to imagine this guy never met the RX1 or either the ZE/F or CY f1.4 Distagon either: 'No 2/35mm renders a spectacular bokeh'.
While I am excited to see Zeiss developing new fast lens formulations, your right Philip, it is going to be extremely difficult for them to surpass the wonderful C/Y 35mm f/1.4 Distagon. Save for the OTUS line, which have a look all of their own, I don't like the look from any of the newer Canon or Nikon Distagon focal lengths as well as I like my older adapted C/Y lenses.

Contax Zeiss 35mm f1.4 A7S Test - The Camera Forum®

Barry Haines

Re: ZM 35mm F1.4 Distagon - More Gong banging from me, so apologies to those who are less interested than myself. I know it remains still to be seen how it performs on the A7R etc.

It looks to be the new King of 35mm's on the M240 reading Diglloyd.
diglloyd: Zeiss ZM 35mm f/1.4 Distagon: Rendering Style Sets New Benchmark

Diglloyd Quote: "I had to send the ZM 35/1.4 Distagon back to Zeiss, but I was loathe to do so: I consider it the most enjoyable lens I’ve yet shot on Leica M; it pulls together so many attributes so well, both optically and operationally. It is unequivocally the star of the ZM lineup. In terms of operational excellence, I rank it above all my Leica M lenses. I greatly prefer its physical characteristics over the Leica M 35m Summilux and Summicron, which feel awkward to my hands by comparison. Stunning on the Leica M240, the pity is that when stopped down slightly, the M240 sensor is the weak link. I have no hesitation in selling my Leica 35mm Summilux, a task no doubt made harder by this post"

A few more links...

diglloyd: Zeiss ZM 35mm f/1.4 Distagon: Aperture Series 'Backlit Redwood Grove'

diglloyd: Zeiss ZM 35mm f/1.4 Distagon In the Field

diglloyd: Zeiss ZM 35mm f/1.4 Distagon for Leica M: Best 35mm M Lens Yet?

Cheers Barry

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
This new Zeiss 35 makes me pause as I was just about to pull the trigger on the Leica 35 Summilux.... Not to mention if I went this route, I would still have a good amount of $$$ in my pocket. :grin:

Barry Haines

This new Zeiss 35 makes me pause as I was just about to pull the trigger on the Leica 35 Summilux.... Not to mention if I went this route, I would still have a good amount of $$$ in my pocket. :grin:
It might not hurt to wait a little longer Bryan, just until a review or comparison with the 35mm Summilux becomes readily available...just my 2 pence worth...Cheers Barry

philip_pj

Like a lot of us, I love the older lenses greatly...but man, are Zeiss moving the goalposts these days! Thanks for the links, Barry.

Chuck, I try not to think about that one that got away (from me anyway) - the Contax 35/1.4, apparently they are hard to find in good condition these days. What a three lens set CZ had in that range: 21/2.8 - 35/1.4 and 100/2 (very underrated).

Thanks for the lovely image and write up of it, it is now ready to go in the space age! And in low light a7s at f1.4, the thought of it...

It is hard to believe they are keeping each of ZE/ZF users (Otus); Sony users (Loxia) and Leica users (ZM) happy.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Like a lot of us, I love the older lenses greatly...but man, are Zeiss moving the goalposts these days! Thanks for the links, Barry.

Chuck, I try not to think about that one that got away (from me anyway) - the Contax 35/1.4, apparently they are hard to find in good condition these days. What a three lens set CZ had in that range: 21/2.8 - 35/1.4 and 100/2 (very underrated).

Thanks for the lovely image and write up of it, it is now ready to go in the space age! And in low light a7s at f1.4, the thought of it...

It is hard to believe they are keeping each of ZE/ZF users (Otus); Sony users (Loxia) and Leica users (ZM) happy.
Zeiss has sure done a lot of things right listening to their clients. Across the entire spectrum, their optics are ranked right at the top. From contact lenses to camera lenses, the brand Zeiss means high quality.

I was never able to get the "edges" covered with the 35mm Zeiss before the prices started getting up and out of sight. I never had the 21/2.8 as it has been insanely priced for years. I think either Guy or Jack had one of those I almost bought but never could afford.:) I never got the 135 f/2 either. I have covered the middle across the range though. 28mm f2, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4 (another greatly under rated lens), and 85mm f/1.4.

For my 100mm I chose to go a different direction, the 100mm f/4 Macro with the bellows vs the 100 f2.

Creatively I am not sorry for the choice. It is heavy and hard to work with, more than a little unwieldy, doesn't get into my bag very often, but when it does it does great things nothing else can do. One day when I win the lottery I'll buy the rest of the Contax set as well to fill out my edges .:rolleyes:

mbroomfield

That crop looked better than I'd expected based on this response I got on their lens blog after asking about the performance on A7 cameras

My question
"Mike B 17. September 2014 at 13:43
Can you tell us how well the ZM 35/1.4 performs on the Sony A7 series cameras please? Especially the A7r. As you know due to cover glass and exit pupil distance many wide angle RF lenses have poor corner performance, both colour cast and smearing."

Response
"Dear Mike,
ZEISS ZM lenses are designed to be used with analog and digital M-mount rangefinder cameras. That's why they include special design features which have been developed to ensure optimum image quality with these camera systems. It is, however, possible to adapt ZM lenses. Nevertheless, the specific design of ZM lenses may cause some limitations in operation and image quality if they are adapted to mirrorless system cameras."

iiiNelson

That crop looked better than I'd expected based on this response I got on their lens blog after asking about the performance on A7 cameras

My question
"Mike B 17. September 2014 at 13:43
Can you tell us how well the ZM 35/1.4 performs on the Sony A7 series cameras please? Especially the A7r. As you know due to cover glass and exit pupil distance many wide angle RF lenses have poor corner performance, both colour cast and smearing."

Response
"Dear Mike,
ZEISS ZM lenses are designed to be used with analog and digital M-mount rangefinder cameras. That's why they include special design features which have been developed to ensure optimum image quality with these camera systems. It is, however, possible to adapt ZM lenses. Nevertheless, the specific design of ZM lenses may cause some limitations in operation and image quality if they are adapted to mirrorless system cameras."
Apparently Digilloyd isn't impressedwith the ZM 35/1.4 on the A7 but I am not a subscriber to read his views. Just saw the mention on SAR. The fact that Zeiss was developing this lens does bum me out about the Loxia in that they based it off the ZM 35/2 Biogon and not this ZM 35/1.4 Distagon as I would've paid the $2000 entry price for a potentially great fast 35 with mechanical focus.

Well there's still the big one coming in March so we will see how that one fares optically.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Remember this folks even though in a A mount not much will come close and I have not seen it yet but the Sigma Art 1.4 is outstanding and rated extremely high resolving power. Its big, its heavy but I have yet to see anything beat it. And its cheap. Besides its hedging your bets that the next Sony monster Mpx just might be in a A mount. I have 3 A mount lenses and there some of the best around. ZA 85 and ZA 135. Until I see a true replacement the 85 and 135 are in the bag.

iiiNelson

Remember this folks even though in a A mount not much will come close and I have not seen it yet but the Sigma Art 1.4 is outstanding and rated extremely high resolving power. Its big, its heavy but I have yet to see anything beat it. And its cheap. Besides its hedging your bets that the next Sony monster Mpx just might be in a A mount. I have 3 A mount lenses and there some of the best around. ZA 85 and ZA 135. Until I see a true replacement the 85 and 135 are in the bag.
I was just eyebanging the 135/1.8 again a few days ago... Been talking myself out of it for 2 years now but I may pull the trigger on it. I have a Zeiss Contax 85/1.4 and it's really good although there's no AF.

The 135/1.8 is simply the best. I hope and pray that Sony pays homage to it with an FE version. I'd be happy with a slightly smaller Zeiss f/2 with that same Sonnar rendering.

Yup, that would do it for me.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I owned the 135 f/1.8 with an A77 and loved the lens for still photography. For video though, it was WAY too noisy for me. That internal motor sounded like a sausage grinder spinning up ... not to mention it is almost the size of a grinder as well.

Viramati

The 135/1.8 is simply the best. I hope and pray that Sony pays homage to it with an FE version. I'd be happy with a slightly smaller Zeiss f/2 with that same Sonnar rendering.

Yup, that would do it for me.
A lens that has surprised me for it's IQ, colour and rendering is the leica apo-telyt 135/3.4. I had been considering selling it as it was such a pain to focus on the leica M but on the A7 it has the ability to produce fantastic images even wide-open. Of course it is a lot slower than the 135/1.8 but all the same I love it

iiiNelson

A lens that has surprised me for it's IQ, colour and rendering is the leica apo-telyt 135/3.4. I had been considering selling it as it was such a pain to focus on the leica M but on the A7 it has the ability to produce fantastic images even wide-open. Of course it is a lot slower than the 135/1.8 but all the same I love it
I said the same thing about the Leica Summicron 90 Pre-AA. It has a long (270 degree-ish) throw but it is an excellent portrait lens but sharpens up to "clinical" levels by f/4.5 or so.

I greatly prefer it to the 90 Cron AA in that capacity hence why I bought it instead.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I said the same thing about the Leica Summicron 90 Pre-AA. It has a long (270 degree-ish) throw but it is an excellent portrait lens but sharpens up to "clinical" levels by f/4.5 or so.

I greatly prefer it to the 90 Cron AA in that capacity hence why I bought it instead.
Got to agree with you on this one. That Leica 90mm 'Cron ASPH is too sharp for portraits. Looks too "clinical" even wide open, and women especially hate it. I use an older than dirt 90 Elmarit instead.