Images

Now we're talking. Announced FE mounts

Yes. http://www.sonyalpharumors.com

28 f2 converter for 16 fish and 21
    35 1.4
    90 macro
    16-35

March on some of these is not soon enough for me. I want the 28 now

Seriously though I am going to get the 16-35 immediately . I'm not worried about a 16mm setting. I have a17 TSE
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Now we're talking. Announced FE mounts

Still not sure on price and availability on zoom. So keep a eye on that. I saw 1399 euro though
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IMHO this is a nice lineup

Finally a 28 that might be great in all our alternate choices which are very few.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here we go time to bust the piggy bank. Be gentle though. Lol

Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens SEL1635Z B&H

Post Thanks / Like

The 28 could have spelt the end of my love-affair with leica if only it had a DOF scale for manual use for street photography. I will also have to wait and see if the 16-35 is a better performer than the WATE on the Lieca M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Here we go time to bust the piggy bank. Be gentle though. Lol

Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens SEL1635Z B&H
    cheap compared to the WATE, but will it perform?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm.
    Okay new flash and other stuff we asked for and some release dates

From Sony Rumors

Sony has also introduced a range of new accessories for their α (alpha) mount camera system including the compact HVL-F32M flash. Rated at a generous GN32 guide number, the flash head can be adjusted in a variety of directions for pro-style bounce effects and has a variety of advanced flash functions including ADI flash metering, high-speed sync and Auto White Balance, and is dust and moisture resistant.

The new XLR-K2M XLR adaptor kit provides pro-style balanced audio input to α7 Series cameras plus the α99, Cyber-shot™ RX10 and NEX-VG900 interchangeable lens camcorder, and comes paired with the ECM-XM1 shotgun microphone.

Additionally, the RMT-VP1K wireless remote kit lets photographers enjoy ‘hands-off’ control of cameras functions including shutter release, start / stop movie recording and zoom. There is also a stylish new LCS-PCS7 system bag that’s an ideal match for the α7 Series of cameras.

Pricing and Availability

The Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS (SEL1635Z) full-frame wide-angle zoom lens will be available this November for about $1350.

The HVL-F32M flash will be available this December for about $300.

The XLR-K2M XLR adaptor kit will be available this October for about $600.

The RMT-VP1K wireless remote kit will be available this November for about $70.

The LCS-PCS7 system bag will be available this October for about $160.

The new lens and accessories will all be sold at Sony retail stores (Sony Official Store - Camera, TV, Audio, 4K, PS4, Home Theater and more - Sony US) and other authorized dealers nationwide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    cheap compared to the WATE, but will it perform?
    The 64,000 dollar question we all have. How good will this lens really be???

Post Thanks / Like

the 16 34 f4 lens is not a hard lens to make, so i expect them to deliver a usable lens

Post Thanks / Like

FE 16-35: please be great, please be great, please be great...
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If these lenses are anywhere near FE55, Sony would be rocking.

In addition Sony seem to be offer Pro Service (like CPS/NPS) offering free to and fro shipping, loaner and twice a year sensor cleaning. Looks like Sony finally seems to be tad serious with E mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Right now it was announced in Germany the Pro service. I would expect that to move to US at some point. All nice positive signs from Sony, they been listening which is great.

Post Thanks / Like

Zeiss 16-35/f4, I ordered it right away.

In my travel bag you will find then:

16-35/f4
    55/1.8
    70-200/f4

What else would you need?

Cheers

Jan
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/janzander/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

nice one Sony. (A77 and XE1 + leica lens all onto ebay)

i will be looking at

16-35mm
    55mm
    24-240mm
    canon 70-200mm.
    canon mpe 65mm.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

So, I'm interested in information about wide angle converters. Is there any chance that the 21mm converter would actually produce an image to compete with a high end 21mm lens? Usually folks are looking at landscape work with something that wide. Is there any track record out there for this kind of thing?
    Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

I am excited about these! I have my eye on the macro for now. I hope it is really really sharp.
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji X100 and Ricoh GR converters have been very well regarded. If Sony's are anything like that, it could be "good enough"

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    So, I'm interested in information about wide angle converters. Is there any chance that the 21mm converter would actually produce an image to compete with a high end 21mm lens? Usually folks are looking at landscape work with something that wide. Is there any track record out there for this kind of thing?
    Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

The 16-35mm looks awesome. Sony made a quality ultrawide for APS-C, so I'm optimistic about performance. It's branded Zeiss too. Too bad the zoom extends, but I think this is still my next purchase for e-mount.

The rest of the lineup is less interesting for me. I'm surprised they didn't produce a fast portrait 85mm. I guess the 90 macro was too close, so they thought it would suffice. The 90 is a G lens, so at least the price should be more reasonable. I'll probably pick up a manual 85mm now though.

The 24-240 could be a good zoom alternative to the 70-200mm. Maybe I'll trade up on my kit zoom when this comes out, but it's not a high priority for me.

The new 35mm finally shows that Sony can produce an f1.4 for E-mount. Wow, how many years did it take? Unfortunately, it looks huge (72mm filter!). Probably even bigger than Sony's SAL35, and almost as big as the 24-240 zoom. Oh, I don't doubt it'll perform, but personally I think it's too big for my bag. Next.

The 28mm f2 I kind of like for its size and speed, but it's not a focal length that I'm particularly crazy about. Especially if I already have the 16-35mm. The price of this one could come in at a good level though, and that could make it worth considering as a small & light option.

Post Thanks / Like

Where's our fast, stabilized short-tele? I'm sure the macro will be optically great, but who needs the extra bulk?

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered one. Now the long wait. Two months?!? YIKES!

I bet it will be worth the weight. And boy is it small! Compared to my Nikon 16-35, it's 160g lighter and 1" shorter. I hope those stats are accurate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Overall a sound start, bearing in mind you should see the Loxias as integral parts of the lineup - and we have three more (at least) of them coming. One will be the serious wide angle prime, the WATE/Distagon 21mm competitor if I can put it that way. What is interesting is the MTF of the 16-35 zoom is really good at the 35mm end, in another league to the large 16-35/2.8 in ZA. You can see some buyers passing over the 24-70/4 and adding a 55mm prime to this one.

Most users are disappointed about 'no portrait lens' - when a scaled out FE55 would appear to a great idea. Looking at the reaction to the 85mm Otus, AF will be a big winner from now on with these and future sensors, manual focus is good for sitting subjects but I would have missed many shots if the FE55 did not have AF. This is the Achilles heel of the FE range.

The zoom looks very promising as compared with its Canon counterpart - a little smaller in filter size (72mm vs 77mm), weight (518g vs 615g), dimensions (78mm x 99mm vs 83mm x 113mm), much less complex (12/10 vs 16/12 elements/groups) and a 7 blade aperture against a 9 blade on the EF lens.

It also has no fewer than five asph elements, the large front is a double sided effort, and three ED elements. $200 more, but the MTF give plenty of promise this one will deliver. People will look at bokeh rings at 35mm and like the Canon CA is likely banished for good. The converter idea - who knows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You hit the nail on the head the 16-35 and the 55. I'm okay still with my ZA 85 1.4

I'm going to sell my Sigma 35 1.4 A mount and get the zoom. My theory having the 17TSE add the 24TSE, 16-35,55 or 50 ART lens maybe even the Zeiss new 50, 85 and 135 in ZA which I use both of those on the A77II as well along with the sigma 18-35. That would really round me out well

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look at the sizes of 35/1.4 and 90/2.8:

http://www.photographyblog.com/image...ands_on_04.jpg
    http://www.photographyblog.com/image...ands_on_07.jpg
    http://www.photographyblog.com/image...ands_on_05.jpg

Am I the only one that is disappointed in a way? What happened to promise of mirrorless of being lighter/smaller? Maybe reality that there is no way around laws of physics, that if you want great performing lens for full frame sensor it will be of full frame lens size, is starting to slowly wake us up. I am sure they will be fine but "hey, replace your existing bulky system with one of ours that will be almost equally bulky" is not what was used as marketing pitch, quite the opposite, to do "one step forward two steps back" is not why I got mirroless.

Post Thanks / Like

The reality is, IMO, the only the removal of the mirror reduced the size of the body. Since the sensor size is still full frame, the lens will have to follow suit. That is why M4/3 lens get away with their size.
    I for one will be ordering the 90 macro when it is available, regardless of the larger size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    The reality is, IMO, the only the removal of the mirror reduced the size of the body.
    Yes, I know that. What I am doing is trying to remind us of it / raise awareness of it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Look at the sizes of 35/1.4 and 90/2.8:

http://www.photographyblog.com/image...ands_on_04.jpg
    http://www.photographyblog.com/image...ands_on_07.jpg
    http://www.photographyblog.com/image...ands_on_05.jpg

Am I the only one that is disappointed in a way? What happened to promise of mirrorless of being lighter/smaller? Maybe reality that there is no way around laws of physics, that if you want great performing lens for full frame sensor it will be of full frame lens size, is starting to slowly wake us up. I am sure they will be fine but "hey, replace your existing bulky system with one of ours that will be almost equally bulky" is not what was used as marketing pitch, quite the opposite, to do "one step forward two steps back" is not why I got mirroless.
    I think making the lenses MF only is the only way to get around size and speed if you're concerned about that. I find in reality that the lenses aren't really as large as people try to make them seem. I know the 55 FE got a lot of complaints when it was first released but it's not much larger than a Leica 50 Lux in reality without the hood being attached.

I care first and foremost about optical quality and speed and then size is about the 3rd or 4th most important thing for me. I'm not a 28 guy but I'm curious about how the new one will perform with the 21 adapter or I want to see if Zeiss will make a Loxia lens in the 18-25 range.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a nice way to start rounding out the options, but the lenses look BIG, particulary the 90 Macro, which I am sure will be a stellar optic. The 28 f/2 seems most in line with camera size/balance, and I could see that if it's a solid performer, adding the 16 and 21 wide coverters (if they are solid) could make for a nice wide set to couple with the 55 for those inclined to use primes.

The 16-35 looks promising, but once again, compared to the WATE, it's huge (though the price is way better)....

I wish Sony figured out how to bend light onto their sensors to make them play well with lenses of smaller designation, as these lenses look "SLR" sized, while the A7 series bodies are so much more appealing for size...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I think making the lenses MF only is the only way to get around size and speed if you're concerned about that. I find in reality that the lenses aren't really as large as people try to make them seem. I know the 55 FE got a lot of complaints when it was first released but it's not much larger than a Leica 50 Lux in reality without the hood being attached.

I care first and foremost about optical quality and speed and then size is about the 3rd or 4th most important thing for me. I'm not a 28 guy but I'm curious about how the new one will perform with the 21 adapter or I want to see if Zeiss will make a Loxia lens in the 18-25 range.
    Being AF has nothing to do with it. Filter thread on 35/1.4 is 72mm. That is same size as Zeiss for Nikon, which is a MF lens.

... and 72mm front is _not_ perceivingly large, it _IS_ large.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think the trio for me will be the 16-35, 55, and a portrait 85 if they ever release one (or maybe bite and get the older SAL version+adapter).

Post Thanks / Like

Now I am seriously thinking! Considering AF Only option, apart for some weight-loss what advantage does A7 FE system offers over say 5D with equivalent lenses?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

AF is one element contributing to size, FF is a second, but 3rd and mostly affecting WA focal lengths appears to be the much needed retrofocus designs. So even thought the body is shallow/thin, the lens tube is still much longer when compared to symmetrical designs (Leica M, Schneider tech lenses etc.)

Having said that, I have had smaller cameras than the Sony, but I think the A7R + 55FE is as small as I want to get and still feel like I can hold it steady at eye level.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    AF is one element contributing to size, FF is a second, but 3rd and mostly affecting WA focal lengths appears to be the much needed retrofocus designs. So even thought the body is shallow/thin, the lens tube is still much longer when compared to symmetrical designs (Leica M, Schneider tech lenses etc.)

Having said that, I have had smaller cameras than the Sony, but I think the A7R + 55FE is as small as I want to get and still feel like I can hold it steady at eye level.
    Agree and there's a lot to say for ergonomics and an acceptably usable size. While I prefer a FF body smaller than DSLR's I think there is a point where things can get so small that it's not as useable for those of us with larger hands or frames.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Being AF has nothing to do with it. Filter thread on 35/1.4 is 72mm. That is same size as Zeiss for Nikon, which is a MF lens.

... and 72mm front is _not_ perceivingly large, it _IS_ large.
    There's always the option of the 35/2, 35/2.8, or the 16-35/4 if size is your concern. For me I will take a manageable size increase (if it performs) for the speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Size be damned. I am all over that 35/1.4

I crudely resized the new lenses to match the 55/1.8 and it doesn't seem too bad considering I have been waiting for a stellar 35/1.4 on A-mount for years. The 35/2 is excellent but the 1.4 is just too weak in the resolution department.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and it has a freaking aperture ring! Where the hell did that come from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 35/1.4 is just a hair longer than the A-mount G version (not a large 35mm like the Sigma or Canon) but you are losing the mirror box depth, so the package is going to be significantly more compact.

Post Thanks / Like

Fast lenses, sharp lenses, will almost always equate to larger size and weight. So before we start vilifying Sony for not taking advantage of mirror less technology with lens designs, how about we compare apples to apples?

Nikon 16-35 F4.0:
    Filter thread: 77mm
    Weight: 680g
    Size: 3.2 x 4.9"

Canon 16-35 F4.0:
    Weight: 615g
    Size: 3.25 x 4.44"

Sony 16-35 F4.0:
    Filter thread: 72mm
    Weight: 518g
    Size: 3.07 x 3.88"

I have zero complaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Make sure you shave off that extra mirror box depth and weight while you are at it!

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Fast lenses, sharp lenses, will almost always equate to larger size and weight. So before we start vilifying Sony for not taking advantage of mirror less technology with lens designs, how about we compare apples to apples?

Nikon 16-35 F4.0:

Canon 16-35 F4.0:

Sony 16-35 F4.0:

I have zero complaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    I crudely resized the new lenses to match the 55/1.8 and it doesn't seem too bad ...
    If your effort is close enough approximation of real relative sizes then I would have to agree it's not too bad. If that wishful thinking ends up fulfilled then I will also pray Sony makes them in "not misaligned" version, unlike my copies of 35/2.8. (Sony, are you listening?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post

Nikon 16-35 F4.0:

Canon 16-35 F4.0:

Sony 16-35 F4.0:

I have zero complaints.
    Then why go through all expense of switching to mirroless, please? Could you please tell us what would justify time and money expense of selling systems we own now with platitude of lenses that are available now for system with lenses that will be available mañana mañana if we are not going to be making any progress? Did we gain anything in autofocusing accuracy, consistency and speed? What about autofocus tracking? Face recognition? Dynamic range etc over Nikon? Anything? No? So take away size and weight and what is left to justify burning money and all the effort? Anything? We should do it just because we like making our lives complicated switching systems and have nothing better to do with our time and money?

Take away everything and we should have stayed with our existing already paid off gear. At least my 50s and 35s on Nikon are not having color shifts, and I have not heard of Canon's having them either.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in two minds about the 16-35. It was going to be a no-brainer for me but in the interim I bought the CV 21/1.8 Ultron. Don't know now if I want both.

The 90/2.8 is the one I will definitely plump for. I'm using a 90/2.8 Elmarit at present which is very good but not ideal and no use for macro anything.

If the 28/2 is any good that will be nice as well.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

Then why go through all expense of switching to mirroless, please? Could you please tell us what would justify time and money expense of selling systems we own now with platitude of lenses that are available now for system with lenses that will be available mañana mañana if we are not going to be making any progress? Did we gain anything in autofocusing accuracy, consistency and speed? What about autofocus tracking? Face recognition? Dynamic range etc over Nikon? Anything? No? So take away size and weight and what is left to justify burning money and all the effort? Anything? We should do it just because we like making our lives complicated switching systems and have nothing better to do with our time and money?

Take away everything and we should have stayed with our existing already paid off gear. At least my 50s and 35s on Nikon are not having color shifts, and I have not heard of Canon's having them either.
    Then don't change systems. I don't understand the beef. The main advantage of the Sony system is size and weight of lenses.

If you are young and healthy - not an issue - if you are getting to an old fossil like me, very handy.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    The 90/2.8 is the one I will definitely plump for. I'm using a 90/2.8 Elmarit at present which is very good but not ideal and no use for macro anything.
    May I suggest trying Tokina 100/2.8?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Then don't change systems. I don't understand the beef. The main advantage of the Sony system is size and weight of lenses.

If you are young and healthy - not an issue - if you are getting to an old fossil like me, very handy.
    I don't understand your counter argument. Do you really believe that 100g, mere 15%, of "difference" between Canon and Sony 16-35 is really an advantage? I don't consider myself that young or healthy but if the day comes that 100g "difference" will be breaking my back I will need much more than 100g of "savings" to save me.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand your counter argument. Do you really believe that 100g, mere 15%, of "difference" between Canon and Sony 16-35 is really an advantage? I don't consider myself that young or healthy but if the day comes that 100g "difference" will be breaking my back I will need much more than 100g of "savings" to save me.
    100g per lens. and these things quickly adds up.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the 35/1.4 - why does it have an aperture ring? Or the better question: why doesn't the other lenses have one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasZ View Post
    Back to the 35/1.4 - why does it have an aperture ring? Or the better question: why doesn't the other lenses have one?
    Since it does have on/off Switch for Clickless aperture too one can only assume it is there for video purposes like in dedicated cine lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm seriously am not trying to be a jerk but might I suggest a gym membership? 100 grams is a few ounces in American terms. You're also saving weight on the body so you ARE saving weight. If they Sony cameras don't work for you you can always buy something else. Buying used will take some of the sting of switching yet again off of you.

For me I bought into the FE bodies to potentially replace my Leica M if the color was up to snuff originally. I found the Sony bodies to be infinitely more versatile in that I can literally put any lens on it with adapters and less than a year later it looks like the system is starting to fill out. While all of the lenses aren't my cup of tea I am happy the system is being supported and I can say Sony is making progress in providing choices for us.

Again the system is less than a year old and more will come in time. Maybe you should've waited a bit longer for the system to mature before switching. I'm not a pro photographer though (although I have done paying jobs) and I have the luxury of shooting what I want when I want

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    To true Louis, my 2p worth as well, 97g of difference between the Sony and the Canon 16-35mm f4's
    What would really cripple an old fossil like me is the extra weight of some smartless FE adapter