Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: C1-Sony support

Post Thanks / Like

Re: C1-Sony support

Yep, that's perfectly understandable!

The great thing is that by using Son'ys profile we have a complete way of supporting lens corrections. Especially as there is so many combos. I just posted an image in the 'Fun' thread shot with an SLT adapter which was corrected (although not much to correct) as we use Sony's data.

It would take an age to profile everything.

David
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What does it do for adapted lenses that don't have that EXIF data?
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hello HiredArm,

Good question.

I guess if you used some funky adapter with say a Contax G lens then yes, you will need to revert to generic. The good news is you could use the LCC tool to correct for any lens colour cast and light fall off.

I need to enquire further but I am guessing any Sony Lens + Sony adapter combo (like the SLT) will be fully supported.

David
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually doing a LCC with some of those adapted lenses would correct vignetting and color shift in the corners as it does with tech cams. Actually thinking about it C1 has corner sharpness as well and you can add back some detail. I need a license code to finish my install but something I could check
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly right guy. And funnily enough it worked nicely on my friends Contax lenses on his A7r.
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

C1 is a great program been using it for like 10 years now when the canon 1ds came out . Back than it was 499.00 dollars

Make that 2002 so 12 years ago
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

David, can you provide a link to Sony Express and Sony 8 Pro upgrade downloads please? Try as I might I only see download to C1 8 Pro, and purchase for $299.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbroomfield View Post
    David, can you provide a link to Sony Express and Sony 8 Pro upgrade downloads please? Try as I might I only see download to C1 8 Pro, and purchase for $299.

Thanks
    There is a link at the start of the thread by op

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded C1 8 express (for Sony) yesterday. I am long time lightroom user. With that caveat, I am finding that Lightroom gets better resolution (of course pixel peeping) compared to C1. I am simply not able to get the same level of resolution with C1. Its easily visible in unprocessed or processed files. I think C1 gets better colors though. Do you believe C1 8 pro makes any difference?

Thanks

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Capture One

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    We have one installer. When you start up Capture One, you can choose the package.

Watch this video, in case you want to stop Express running and try Pro...

Capture One Express (For Sony)| Upgrading to Capture One Pro - YouTube
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    I downloaded C1 8 express (for Sony) yesterday. I am long time lightroom user. With that caveat, I am finding that Lightroom gets better resolution (of course pixel peeping) compared to C1. I am simply not able to get the same level of resolution with C1. Its easily visible in unprocessed or processed files. I think C1 gets better colors though. Do you believe C1 8 pro makes any difference?

Thanks
    may be default luminance NR in C1 needs to be tuned down...
    A7RII + FE55/1.8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Phase One View Post
    Exactly right guy. And funnily enough it worked nicely on my friends Contax lenses on his A7r.
    It would be nice to have some of those old Zeiss Contax Yashica lenses profiled. I'm using them at the moment as my portrait lenses until Sony releases some good native portrait lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

So I downloaded C1P8 trial, used it for the last 24 hours or so, and in the interest of all fairness (I know I've been highly critical of C1 over the last 5 years or so although the criticism wasn't directed so much at IQ) it seems that the catalog system works well and I'm not getting import glitches as of now unlike in C1P7. I even upgraded my old C1E4 license up to the full version of C1P8 whileI can for $99 so if they continue to support Sony and provide future lens support ala Adobe I may continue to learn it and use it where it provides IQ improvements.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

For those unsure about the feature comparison between the Express and Pro versions here' a rundown.

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-S...C630812EB.ashx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deejjjaaaa View Post
    may be default luminance NR in C1 needs to be tuned down...
    Thanks I did turn it down a bit but will try again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Low ISO drop it down to 15. a7r sharpness settings 200, .6, 1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Phase One View Post
    We have one installer. When you start up Capture One, you can choose the package.

Watch this video, in case you want to stop Express running and try Pro...

Capture One Express (For Sony)| Upgrading to Capture One Pro - YouTube
    Thanks for the link (everyone). I think it was the one installer that bamboozled me. Will load it up tonight (Pro most likely)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just curious what cable everyone is using for tethered capture. The supplied power cable is pretty short. It would be great to have a cable that's 10-20 feet (if it'll work with it.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Low ISO drop it down to 15. a7r sharpness settings 200, .6, 1
    Thanks a bunch that really made some difference. I am learning to optimize with C1 8, hopefully, get a better workflow too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy with the update.

It's the same image, once with the engine c1 Pro7 and the other with C1 Pro8.
    Guess which was made ​​with 7 and 8.
    All settings were the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    You need to adjust the details slider in the noise reduction section. Weirdly a setting of 100% adds no smoothing to the image (more resolution) and the lower the setting the more noise reduction it applies. Always thought this was backwards but thats how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch that really made some difference. I am learning to optimize with C1 8, hopefully, get a better workflow too.
    I do not use luminance NR at all, never.
    A7RII + FE55/1.8

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Will running 8 eliminate the need of using Sony Image Data Converter? I need to run my IR files through IDC to get the corrected WB in IR.

Don

Opps forgot - I'm using C1-8 Pro....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I answered my own question this morning shortly after loading C1-8 Pro. The problem in shooting in infrared is that historically neither C1 and Adobe can properly read the white balance of a file shot in IR from Sony. Open either C1 or Adobe and they show the file as shot for an instant however it quickly defaults to a reddish hue since IR is red. C1 and Adobe gets confused by the file being opened. This is the reason that most IR companies recommend the file be opened first using the camera software (in my case Sony Image Data Converter).

IDC is wonky is my polite way saying the software doesn't play well with a 64-bit machine. The sole purpose of opening the files in IDC is to then save them as a Tif. Opening the files show the proper color space/white balance and nothing needs to be done except save the file.
    Once the "wash" (my term) is done with the IR files they can then be opened in either C1 or Adobe where they show the proper color space/white balance and can be processed from there.

I had such high hope that C1-8 would eliminate the need of using IDC however that doesn't seem to be the case.

As I shoot in full spectrum, 665, and 720 where there's false color and I needed the files to (at least) begin as I shot them I'll need to continue using IDC. It gets slightly easier in 830nm if I want to turn out a black and white image as C1 does a great job.

For now color me disappointed...

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

my name is Giulio and this is my first post on this forum. I have been observing this forum for more than a year, since I switched to Sony, and it's firmly the best Sony related discussion on the web
    Now, having been frustrated lately by Lightroom/Photoshop (my images have different colour cast between the Lr Library and Develop modules; adjustments introduced in Nik Colour Effex from Lr are not carried over to Photoshop...) I bought Capture One Pro for Sony, to give it a try. I like the interface, however, being Photoshop a pillar of my workflow I am bit lost about the loose relation between C1 and PS. Yes, C1 can export images to PS, but then where do I take the finished image from PS? With Lr, once the work is done in PS, the image goes back to the Lr catalog. Shall I re-import in C1 the PS processed tiff? It's handy to keep the final image together with the raw file and other versions of the same image in a catalog from which it can be exported, printed, uploaded, compared with other images etc. Another option would be to introduce another application like Media Pro to which sending processed images from PS. Thanks in advance for your views.

Giulio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by giulioz View Post
    Hello,

my name is Giulio and this is my first post on this forum. I have been observing this forum for more than a year, since I switched to Sony, and it's firmly the best Sony related discussion on the web
    Now, having been frustrated lately by Lightroom/Photoshop (my images have different colour cast between the Lr Library and Develop modules; adjustments introduced in Nik Colour Effex from Lr are not carried over to Photoshop...) I bought Capture One Pro for Sony, to give it a try. I like the interface, however, being Photoshop a pillar of my workflow I am bit lost about the loose relation between C1 and PS. Yes, C1 can export images to PS, but then where do I take the finished image from PS? With Lr, once the work is done in PS, the image goes back to the Lr catalog. Shall I re-import in C1 the PS processed tiff? It's handy to keep the final image together with the raw file and other versions of the same image in a catalog from which it can be exported, printed, uploaded, compared with other images etc. Another option would be to introduce another application like Media Pro to which sending processed images from PS. Thanks in advance for your views.

Giulio
    How are you managing your images usually ? From what you wrote, it could be through LR. if this is the case and you have already a big image base stored in LR, then there are two ways to get the edited pictures in LR :
    1) once you have edited your tifs open LR and the Library module, find the folder where you have stored the raw & the edited tifs or jpegs versions (in the left panel) right click on it and in the context menu choose synchronise folder, your pictures will be added easily.
    2) you can also make the folder in which you are working the hot folder : then LR will constantly check this folder and add the new pictures found there as they are created.

I would only consider switching to Media Pro (or another asset management program) if only a small number of pictures are already integrated in LR.

Note that the sidecar files created by the two raws converters aren't compatible : the changes done in C1 won't be read in LR and vice versa. Thus, unless you export a tiff or a jpegs, neither LR nor PS would show the adjustments made in C1 to the raws; this is normal.

However, if you export to tiff/jpegs and affect a color profile to your files in C1 and provided your display is calibrated and all the color management settings are set right) then PS should show you the same colors (at least in theory <grin>).

In particular, Adobe softwares can softproof colors (aka emulate the output). Try unchecking that box in order to see whether that isn't the cause of the difference you are seeing between C1 and Adobe softwares. For instance make sure that you export a tiff with aRGB from C1. Then set the working profile in PS to aRGB too and make sure that the softproofing check box remain unchecked.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a LL article on a workflow that combines C1 and Lightroom. You might find this helpful, but I don't use Lightroom so can't comment.

A Workflow Combining Capture One and Lightroom

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for your feedback

Post Thanks / Like

one thing hasnt been mentioned in this thread so far is one other difference between express and pro version: localised adjustment. abit like the adjustment brush in LR5.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For anyone using older cameras, C1 does not tether with the A900.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    For anyone using older cameras, C1 does not tether with the A900.
    No only the five newest cameras (A7/r/s, A99, and A77) are supported right now but that information is on the Sony C1 page.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the highlight recovery tool in the latest version of C1 is very much improved. Very natural looking image even after lots of highlight recovery.